where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
kindly help me if one can
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

STARMANS elctronics, s. r.o.
STARMANS is the Central European leading producer of industrial measuring, detecting and combined equipments for non-destructive testing

05:21 Dec-24-2003
rajesh
kindly help me if one can

i am working in aircraft ndt so kindly help me to get information regarding aicraft wheel & brake inspection by eddy current.let me know if there is any standard about the same.kindly let me know.

02:57 Dec-28-2003

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: kindly help me if one can Hi Rajesh

I dont belive there are any 'general' standards, but most Aircraft wheel and brake manufacturers issue inspection procedures and/or recommendations.

There isn't much Eddy current inspection work on brake assemblies, But for wheels it is the main method used.

I wrote a paper on this about ten years ago - things have moved on a bit since then, but it is still mostly relevant

on my web page

http://joe.buckley.net/papers/wheeltalk.pdf

I would strongly recommend automated wheel inspection -it is normally much more reliable than manual methods. Wheel inspection systems are available from a number of manufacturers, the internationally active ones include Zetec, Rohmann and Hocking.

Rgds

Joe

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: i am working in aircraft ndt so kindly help me to get information regarding aicraft wheel & brake inspection by eddy current.let me know if there is any standard about the same.kindly let me know.
------------ End Original Message ------------

05:20 Jan-05-2004

Wolfgang Bisle

R & D, Project leader & Group Leader InService Inspect.
Airbus Deutschland GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Jul 2000
Re: kindly help me if one can Look in to the NTM's of your aircrafts. There the recommendet procedures are described. Nothing else is (normally) allowed. The customer support will (normally) help you.

Typically NDT equipment manufacturers like Rohmann, Hocking, Zetec etc. can tell you about, as they have already sold a lot of inspection systems for that purpose, but still the NTM (non destructive testing manual) and the SB (service bulletin) is the law. Definitely there is not a standard, as wheels are a matter of improvement as well as the inspection techniques. There is of coarse a general common sense how to do it.

But as safety relevant inspections have to be qualified for a chosen specific design, which is strongly aircraft dependent (which means a high efford to proof, that the chosen methods works correctly), you should always strictly follow the aircraft manufacturers recommendations and not walk your own way. Otherwise you would run into severe liability conflicts.

21:28 Sep-06-2010

V.Kivanc Turker

NDT Inspector
MNG Technic Aircraft Maintenance Services Inc.,
Turkey,
Joined Jun 2009
Re: kindly help me if one can In Reply to Joe Buckley at 02:57 Dec-28-2003 .

Hello Sir;
we met in istanbul (MNG Technic), in 2006. we bought an ZETEC eddy current instrument MIZ21SR, and we were educated by you on that equipment. anyway, i would like to learn being eddy current expert or not to operate WheelScan Mk IV? or anybody can operate the equipment and expert just criticise the outputs even if he/she doesn't see the wheel, and certify this wheel?

best regards,

Kivanc TURKER

11:36 Sep-07-2010

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: kindly help me if one can In Reply to V.Kivanc Turker at 21:28 Sep-06-2010 .

Hi Kivanc

I think it was actually 2004, Time flies. That was the last time I was in Istanbul, I must return some time..

As I Interpret the question It is 'Do you need to be an Eddy current expert to operate a Wheelscan system' I would say that you need a good knowledge of a narrow area. So you need some basic theory, as I taught you those years ago, plus a good understanding of the wheel problems and likely failure mechanism, as well as a good bit of practical knowledge and understanding of the system operation.

And because Wheel testing rigs tend to have a hard life, you need to understand the basic maintenance procedures, troubleshooting etc. You need to have access to an aerospace eddy current expert, at least during the initial learning stage.

And lastly for this type of equipment you need good support from the local distributor.

I've never worked with the Wheelscan iV, (I left Hocking before it was introduced) But I believe its fairly reliable and easy to use.

Best regards

Joe

11:00 Feb-18-2013
Muhammad Mushtaq
Re: kindly help me if one can In Reply to rajesh at 05:21 Dec-24-2003 (Opening).

with the helop eddy current there are many metthod to check wheel .
1.Automated
2. Manual
for inspection you have to Ist wheel probes and standred and for surcface u need surface probe and also standred .

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|