where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FI Test- und Messtechnik GmbH

01:48 Jan-06-2004

Muksin Anang

NDT Inspector,
Indonesia,
Joined Oct 2001
Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp

I have problem on measuring a pipe "weld" thickness of an austenitic material at moderate temperature. Due to corrosion on inside of the pipe, mostly at root of the weld, I have to monitor it by measuring the welds thickness. The details are as follows:

Pipe Diameter : 4" up to 8"
Pipe Thickness : 0.25" up to 1"
Operating temp. : 180°C

By an ultrasonic thickness meter with 5MHz 0.4" dia and 10MHz 0.3" transducers, it can only measured the pipe and elbow thicknesses. But not the weld thickness.

By a Digital Flaw Detector with 5MHz 0.4" dia transducer, it can only measured the weld thickness up to 0,5" thick. It can not detect the weld thicker than 0,5".

As we know that austenitic weld is a highly attenuated material. And so, temperature. Anybody can help me, is that possible to measure 1" thick weld using a lower frequency with smaller crystal transducer? Where can I found such a tranducer? Anybody have any idea about the test procedure? Are there any other applicable NDT method?

Thanks in advance.

Muksin A.

01:33 Jan-07-2004
Sasaki
Re: Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp Radiography may help your needs.

Place a multi-step thickness gage block on a SS block of the same thickness as the pipe wall, and radiography both pipe and this block on the same film.

Then, you may compare the density of the weld with the steps.

The closest densities of the two, weld and step, is representing the thickness of weld.

Hope I could have explained properly.

03:02 Jan-08-2004

N. Kuppusamy

Consultant, NDT Level-III Engineer
Advanced Inspection & Testing (S) Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Dec 2003
Re: Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp deg. F) and if the reading obtained was a surface temperature of 460 degree C (860deg. F) the apparent reading should be reduced by 8%.

This correction is an average one for many types of steel. The correction factor for any particular material can be derived experimentally.

Regards,

N.Kuppusamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Radiography may help your needs.
: Place a multi-step thickness gage block on a SS block of the same thickness as the pipe wall, and radiography both pipe and this block on the same film.
: Then, you may compare the density of the weld with the steps.
: The closest densities of the two, weld and step, is representing the thickness of weld.
: Hope I could have explained properly.
------------ End Original Message ------------

05:12 Jan-08-2004
Sasaki
Re: Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp A rule of thump (for steels) often used is as follows:

is a citation from para. 8.5, ASTM E797 "Measuring Thickness by Manual Ultrasonic Pulse-Echo Contact Method"

00:37 Sep-10-2004
pankaj
Re: Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp what is the direct relation ( formula) between pipe schedual no and pipe thickness

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|