where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Lakshmi Srinivasan
Lakshmi Srinivasan
06:18 Jan-23-2004
Calculating resonant frequency

Hi all,

Could anyone help me with mathematical formulae to calculate resonant frequency of a material. For eg. calculating resonant modes of a cylindrical steel block.

cheers,

Lakshmi

N.Kuppusamy
Consultant, NDT Level-III Engineer
Advanced Inspection & Testing (S) Pte Ltd, Singapore, Joined Dec 2003, 34

N.Kuppusamy

Advanced Inspection & Testing (S) Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Dec 2003
00:27 Jan-24-2004
Re: Calculating resonant frequency
Dear Lakshmi Srinivasan,
I presume that you are asking for Resonance frequency for UT. The resonance condition for UT is established when,
Wavelength = Thickness/2 and its multiples.

For resonance frequency of Eddy current you have to give more details such as Thickness, Capacitance and Inductance of the coil.

N.Kuppusamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi all,
: Could anyone help me with mathematical formulae to calculate resonant frequency of a material. For eg. calculating resonant modes of a cylindrical steel block.
: cheers,
: Lakshmi
------------ End Original Message ------------

M. Kim Johnson
M. Kim Johnson
06:34 Jan-26-2004
Lakshmi,

If you are after modal resonant frequencies for cylindrical samples that have aspect ratios (length to diameter) very large (e.g., greater than 30 to 1), you may calculate the longitudinal and transverse mode frequencies quite easily. However, when the aspect ratio decreases, the solution is not nearly as straight forward. There are computer programs out there that will provide solutions for simple shapes (cylinders, parallelepipeds, and spheres) because they are relaticvely straight forward. One reason that textbooks really do not cover solutions to the small aspect ratio problem is that they are very complex (Bessel type solutions in closed forms), but are much easier to solve with modern computer programs. Additionally, the harmonics for most modes, if not all, depending on shape, are no longer even multiples of the funbdamental frequencies. Please contact me and I can give you more information. We have been dealing with this type problem for a some time, now.

M. Kim Johnson.

: Dear Lakshmi Srinivasan,
: I presume that you are asking for Resonance frequency for UT. The resonance condition for UT is established when,
: Wavelength = Thickness/2 and its multiples.
: For resonance frequency of Eddy current you have to give more details such as Thickness, Capacitance and

Inductance of the coil.
: N.Kuppusamy
: : Hi all,
: : Could anyone help me with mathematical formulae to calculate resonant frequency of a material. For eg. calculating resonant modes of a cylindrical steel block.
: : cheers,
: : Lakshmi

N. Kuppusamy
Advanced Inspection & Testing (S) Pte Ltd, Singapore, Joined Dec 2003, 34

N. Kuppusamy

Advanced Inspection & Testing (S) Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Dec 2003
04:06 Jan-27-2004
Sorry, I made a mistake. The resonance frequency is not Wavelength = T/2

The resonance condition is established when: Thickness of material = Wavelength/2 and its multiples

In other words, Resonance Frequency = Sound Velocity in the Material/2T

Where T = Material thickness.

This equation can be used to calculate the Piezoelectric crystal thickness also.

N.Kuppusamy
: Dear Lakshmi Srinivasan,
: I presume that you are asking for Resonance frequency for UT. The resonance condition for UT is established when,
: Wavelength = Thickness/2 and its multiples.
: For resonance frequency of Eddy current you have to give more details such as Thickness, Capacitance and Inductance of the coil.
: N.Kuppusamy
: : Hi all,
: : Could anyone help me with mathematical formulae to calculate resonant frequency of a material. For eg. calculating resonant modes of a cylindrical steel block.
: : cheers,
: : Lakshmi

Product Spotlight

Webinar: FMC & Advanced Focusing Techniques for Improved Ultrasonic Inspections

Phased array ultrasound is now a commonly accepted inspection technology. Now there is excitement ar
ound new techniques in Phased Array: Full Matrix Capture (FMC) & Total Focusing Method (TFM). Our webinar on December 5 & 6 will illustrate how these techniques, implemented on a TOPAZ64 instrument, can improve the results of existing inspections. Register today.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

35 years of VOGT Ultrasonics!

This year we are celebrating a company anniversary! 35 years have passed since we first took our t
est device and swung the probe on behalf of safety. But our ultrasonic know-how goes back many years..
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s