where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Low Absorption Coefficients for Polymers
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:19 Feb-02-2004

Michael

Director, Vice President, Accounts
Inspection Consultants International Philippines,
Philippines,
Joined Feb 2004
Low Absorption Coefficients for Polymers

We are doing some research on different polymers that can contain an RFID Chip inside. We need to find different polymers with a low absorption coefficient at 915MHz and are having some trouble locating information on this.

Does anyone out there have any sites that may be helpful in finding these polymers w/ their absorption coefficients?

Thanks in advance
Michael

08:04 Feb-02-2004
Jaeseok Park
Re: Low Absorption Coefficients for Polymers ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We are doing some research on different polymers that can contain an RFID Chip inside. We need to find different polymers with a low absorption coefficient at 915MHz and are having some trouble locating information on this.
: Does anyone out there have any sites that may be helpful in finding these polymers w/ their absorption coefficients?
: Thanks in advance
: Michael
------------ End Original Message ------------

915MHz is pretty high frequency for polymer, I guess. I dont know what RFID Chip exactly is, but I can comment you polystyrene made by extrusion have most lower absortion coefficient ever I experienced.

05:35 Feb-03-2004

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Low Absorption Coefficients for Polymers ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We are doing some research on different polymers that can contain an RFID Chip inside. We need to find different polymers with a low absorption coefficient at 915 MHz and are having some trouble locating information on this.
: Does anyone out there have any sites that may be helpful in finding these polymers w/ their absorption coefficients?
: Thanks in advance
: Michael

Explanation an question?

RFID means Radio frequency Identifacation.
i.e. a cheap intelligent tag bearing a chip (useful for all products), to replace the barcode-tag, e.g.

Do you mean ultrasonic attenuation at appr. 1 GigaHertz?

Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann
GE Inspection Technogies Systems

07:26 Feb-03-2004
Michael
Re: Low Absorption Coefficients for Polymers Sorry if I was a little unclear about some things.
Like the previous poster said the RFID Chip sends data through RF Signals. The second part of an RFID Tag, is a Reader. This reader will pick up the signals from about 12 inches or more away depending on the chip/reader combo.

In our case, the RFID Chip that we will be using will be sending out its data on the RF Frequency of 915 MHz. What we are looking for now is a material that can withstand the heat, probably at least 200-250F, easily moldable so we can insert the tag inside of the material, and has a low absorption coefficient so when the RFID tag sends out the RF Signal the material will not absorb it and make the tag unreadable.

We were told to look at the Absorption Coefficients, the lower the better, but as of yet we havent found a good source that lists this data. Any information of where we can look, websites, books, whatever, would be extremly helpful.
----------- Start Original Message -----------

: Explanation an question?
: RFID means Radio frequency Identifacation.
: i.e. a cheap intelligent tag bearing a chip (useful for all products), to replace the barcode-tag, e.g.
: Do you mean ultrasonic attenuation at appr. 1 GigaHertz?
: Kind regards
: Udo Schlengermann
: GE Inspection Technogies Systems

01:00 Sep-18-2005
i have what you are looking for
: : We are doing some research on different polymers that can contain an RFID Chip inside. We need to find different polymers with a low absorption coefficient at 915 MHz and are having some trouble locating information on this.
: : Does anyone out there have any sites that may be helpful in finding these polymers w/ their absorption coefficients?
: : Thanks in advance
: : Michael
: Explanation an question?
: RFID means Radio frequency Identifacation.
: i.e. a cheap intelligent tag bearing a chip (useful for all products), to replace the barcode-tag, e.g.
: Do you mean ultrasonic attenuation at appr. 1 GigaHertz?
: Kind regards
: Udo Schlengermann
: GE Inspection Technogies Systems

respond immediatley

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|