where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Michael
Director, Vice President, Accounts
Inspection Consultants International Philippines, Philippines, Joined Feb 2004, 1

Michael

Director, Vice President, Accounts
Inspection Consultants International Philippines,
Philippines,
Joined Feb 2004
07:19 Feb-02-2004
Low Absorption Coefficients for Polymers

We are doing some research on different polymers that can contain an RFID Chip inside. We need to find different polymers with a low absorption coefficient at 915MHz and are having some trouble locating information on this.

Does anyone out there have any sites that may be helpful in finding these polymers w/ their absorption coefficients?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Jaeseok Park
Jaeseok Park
08:04 Feb-02-2004
Re: Low Absorption Coefficients for Polymers
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We are doing some research on different polymers that can contain an RFID Chip inside. We need to find different polymers with a low absorption coefficient at 915MHz and are having some trouble locating information on this.
: Does anyone out there have any sites that may be helpful in finding these polymers w/ their absorption coefficients?
: Thanks in advance
: Michael
------------ End Original Message ------------

915MHz is pretty high frequency for polymer, I guess. I dont know what RFID Chip exactly is, but I can comment you polystyrene made by extrusion have most lower absortion coefficient ever I experienced.

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 177

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
05:35 Feb-03-2004
: We are doing some research on different polymers that can contain an RFID Chip inside. We need to find different polymers with a low absorption coefficient at 915 MHz and are having some trouble locating information on this.
: Does anyone out there have any sites that may be helpful in finding these polymers w/ their absorption coefficients?
: Thanks in advance
: Michael

Explanation an question?

RFID means Radio frequency Identifacation.
i.e. a cheap intelligent tag bearing a chip (useful for all products), to replace the barcode-tag, e.g.

Do you mean ultrasonic attenuation at appr. 1 GigaHertz?

Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann
GE Inspection Technogies Systems

Michael
Michael
07:26 Feb-03-2004
Sorry if I was a little unclear about some things.
Like the previous poster said the RFID Chip sends data through RF Signals. The second part of an RFID Tag, is a Reader. This reader will pick up the signals from about 12 inches or more away depending on the chip/reader combo.

In our case, the RFID Chip that we will be using will be sending out its data on the RF Frequency of 915 MHz. What we are looking for now is a material that can withstand the heat, probably at least 200-250F, easily moldable so we can insert the tag inside of the material, and has a low absorption coefficient so when the RFID tag sends out the RF Signal the material will not absorb it and make the tag unreadable.

We were told to look at the Absorption Coefficients, the lower the better, but as of yet we havent found a good source that lists this data. Any information of where we can look, websites, books, whatever, would be extremly helpful.

: Explanation an question?
: RFID means Radio frequency Identifacation.
: i.e. a cheap intelligent tag bearing a chip (useful for all products), to replace the barcode-tag, e.g.
: Do you mean ultrasonic attenuation at appr. 1 GigaHertz?
: Kind regards
: Udo Schlengermann
: GE Inspection Technogies Systems

i have what you are looking for
i have what you are looking for
01:00 Sep-18-2005
: : We are doing some research on different polymers that can contain an RFID Chip inside. We need to find different polymers with a low absorption coefficient at 915 MHz and are having some trouble locating information on this.
: : Does anyone out there have any sites that may be helpful in finding these polymers w/ their absorption coefficients?
: : Thanks in advance
: : Michael
: Explanation an question?
: RFID means Radio frequency Identifacation.
: i.e. a cheap intelligent tag bearing a chip (useful for all products), to replace the barcode-tag, e.g.
: Do you mean ultrasonic attenuation at appr. 1 GigaHertz?
: Kind regards
: Udo Schlengermann
: GE Inspection Technogies Systems

respond immediatley

Product Spotlight

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window