where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Airstar Inc.
Application of the newest technologies, such as air-coupled ultrasound, digital instrumentation, signal processing, and transducer technology.

Technical Discussions
Matt McCormick
Matt McCormick
07:13 Feb-04-2004
NDT for car headlight adhesive failure

I'm trying to find out a good method for which to scan a section of a headlight where the lens is glued to the plastic housing in order to find either delaminations of the adhesive or areas where there is not enough adhesive. Ideally I would want something that could be done on the assembly line. I've looked at dry coupling ultrasound, microwaves, and something called ultrafluorescence (which I don't think will work for us, because our adhesive is not UV cured). Which of these do you think would give me the best results, and which do you think we could do in-line? Also, might there be something else out there that might work better than the methods I've listed? Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Phil Thayer
Sales, -
MISTRAS Products & Systems, USA, Joined Feb 2002, 12

Phil Thayer

Sales, -
MISTRAS Products & Systems,
USA,
Joined Feb 2002
00:22 Feb-04-2004
Re: NDT for car headlight adhesive failure
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I'm trying to find out a good method for which to scan a section of a headlight where the lens is glued to the plastic housing in order to find either delaminations of the adhesive or areas where there is not enough adhesive. Ideally I would want something that could be done on the assembly line. I've looked at dry coupling ultrasound, microwaves, and something called ultrafluorescence (which I don't think will work for us, because our adhesive is not UV cured). Which of these do you think would give me the best results, and which do you think we could do in-line? Also, might there be something else out there that might work better than the methods I've listed? Any thoughts would be very helpful.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Was the dry coupled UT sucessful from an inspection stand point? I would think it would be, then you could address the on-line aspect. Is there a problem with the part getting wet (water, alcohol)? We have come up with solutions for many on-line UT bond inspection problems.

Phil
NDTA 609-716-4051

Ethan
Ethan
06:17 Feb-05-2004
Re: NDT for car headlight adhesive failure
Hi,

If this is a clear lens that is being bonded, wouldn't that change it's light reflectivity and therfore use a simple laser technique?

regards
e

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I'm trying to find out a good method for which to scan a section of a headlight where the lens is glued to the plastic housing in order to find either delaminations of the adhesive or areas where there is not enough adhesive. Ideally I would want something that could be done on the assembly line. I've looked at dry coupling ultrasound, microwaves, and something called ultrafluorescence (which I don't think will work for us, because our adhesive is not UV cured). Which of these do you think would give me the best results, and which do you think we could do in-line? Also, might there be something else out there that might work better than the methods I've listed? Any thoughts would be very helpful.
:
: Was the dry coupled UT sucessful from an inspection stand point? I would think it would be, then you could address the on-line aspect. Is there a problem with the part getting wet (water, alcohol)? We have come up with solutions for many on-line UT bond inspection problems.
: Phil
: NDTA 609-716-4051
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window