where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT for car headlight adhesive failure
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:13 Feb-04-2004
Matt McCormick
NDT for car headlight adhesive failure

I'm trying to find out a good method for which to scan a section of a headlight where the lens is glued to the plastic housing in order to find either delaminations of the adhesive or areas where there is not enough adhesive. Ideally I would want something that could be done on the assembly line. I've looked at dry coupling ultrasound, microwaves, and something called ultrafluorescence (which I don't think will work for us, because our adhesive is not UV cured). Which of these do you think would give me the best results, and which do you think we could do in-line? Also, might there be something else out there that might work better than the methods I've listed? Any thoughts would be very helpful.

00:22 Feb-04-2004

Phil Thayer

Sales, -
MISTRAS Products & Systems,
USA,
Joined Feb 2002
Re: NDT for car headlight adhesive failure ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I'm trying to find out a good method for which to scan a section of a headlight where the lens is glued to the plastic housing in order to find either delaminations of the adhesive or areas where there is not enough adhesive. Ideally I would want something that could be done on the assembly line. I've looked at dry coupling ultrasound, microwaves, and something called ultrafluorescence (which I don't think will work for us, because our adhesive is not UV cured). Which of these do you think would give me the best results, and which do you think we could do in-line? Also, might there be something else out there that might work better than the methods I've listed? Any thoughts would be very helpful.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Was the dry coupled UT sucessful from an inspection stand point? I would think it would be, then you could address the on-line aspect. Is there a problem with the part getting wet (water, alcohol)? We have come up with solutions for many on-line UT bond inspection problems.

Phil
NDTA 609-716-4051

06:17 Feb-05-2004
Ethan
Re: NDT for car headlight adhesive failure Hi,

If this is a clear lens that is being bonded, wouldn't that change it's light reflectivity and therfore use a simple laser technique?

regards
e

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I'm trying to find out a good method for which to scan a section of a headlight where the lens is glued to the plastic housing in order to find either delaminations of the adhesive or areas where there is not enough adhesive. Ideally I would want something that could be done on the assembly line. I've looked at dry coupling ultrasound, microwaves, and something called ultrafluorescence (which I don't think will work for us, because our adhesive is not UV cured). Which of these do you think would give me the best results, and which do you think we could do in-line? Also, might there be something else out there that might work better than the methods I've listed? Any thoughts would be very helpful.
:
: Was the dry coupled UT sucessful from an inspection stand point? I would think it would be, then you could address the on-line aspect. Is there a problem with the part getting wet (water, alcohol)? We have come up with solutions for many on-line UT bond inspection problems.
: Phil
: NDTA 609-716-4051
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|