where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

YXLON Copenhagen
YXLON Copenhagen is a highly specialized, award winning Danish company with 60 years of experience in portable X-ray solutions for industrial NDT.

Technical Discussions
Matt McCormick
Matt McCormick
07:13 Feb-04-2004
NDT for car headlight adhesive failure

I'm trying to find out a good method for which to scan a section of a headlight where the lens is glued to the plastic housing in order to find either delaminations of the adhesive or areas where there is not enough adhesive. Ideally I would want something that could be done on the assembly line. I've looked at dry coupling ultrasound, microwaves, and something called ultrafluorescence (which I don't think will work for us, because our adhesive is not UV cured). Which of these do you think would give me the best results, and which do you think we could do in-line? Also, might there be something else out there that might work better than the methods I've listed? Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Phil Thayer
Sales, -
MISTRAS Products & Systems, USA, Joined Feb 2002, 12

Phil Thayer

Sales, -
MISTRAS Products & Systems,
USA,
Joined Feb 2002
00:22 Feb-04-2004
Re: NDT for car headlight adhesive failure
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I'm trying to find out a good method for which to scan a section of a headlight where the lens is glued to the plastic housing in order to find either delaminations of the adhesive or areas where there is not enough adhesive. Ideally I would want something that could be done on the assembly line. I've looked at dry coupling ultrasound, microwaves, and something called ultrafluorescence (which I don't think will work for us, because our adhesive is not UV cured). Which of these do you think would give me the best results, and which do you think we could do in-line? Also, might there be something else out there that might work better than the methods I've listed? Any thoughts would be very helpful.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Was the dry coupled UT sucessful from an inspection stand point? I would think it would be, then you could address the on-line aspect. Is there a problem with the part getting wet (water, alcohol)? We have come up with solutions for many on-line UT bond inspection problems.

Phil
NDTA 609-716-4051

Ethan
Ethan
06:17 Feb-05-2004
Re: NDT for car headlight adhesive failure
Hi,

If this is a clear lens that is being bonded, wouldn't that change it's light reflectivity and therfore use a simple laser technique?

regards
e

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I'm trying to find out a good method for which to scan a section of a headlight where the lens is glued to the plastic housing in order to find either delaminations of the adhesive or areas where there is not enough adhesive. Ideally I would want something that could be done on the assembly line. I've looked at dry coupling ultrasound, microwaves, and something called ultrafluorescence (which I don't think will work for us, because our adhesive is not UV cured). Which of these do you think would give me the best results, and which do you think we could do in-line? Also, might there be something else out there that might work better than the methods I've listed? Any thoughts would be very helpful.
:
: Was the dry coupled UT sucessful from an inspection stand point? I would think it would be, then you could address the on-line aspect. Is there a problem with the part getting wet (water, alcohol)? We have come up with solutions for many on-line UT bond inspection problems.
: Phil
: NDTA 609-716-4051
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window