where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Acoustic Impedance
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:15 Feb-10-2004

Sharath

Student
NIT jalandhar,
India,
Joined Feb 2004
Acoustic Impedance

Hi,

I am a student from India. Currently doing a project on ultrasonics for paper. Can anyone tell me the acoustic impedance of paper.

Thanks in advance.

00:41 Feb-11-2004

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: Acoustic Impedance ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi,
: I am a student from India. Currently doing a project on ultrasonics for paper. Can anyone tell me the acoustic impedance of paper.
: Thanks in advance.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hello Sarath,The acoustic impedance Z can be defined as the product of the density and velocity of sound of a given material. Wood for example is elastically anisotropic - the velocity of sound is different across the grain compared with along the grain. Paper is generally made from wood fibers so the velocity of sound will vary according to the direction of the fibers. Plus the velocity of sound in wood will vary with the type, from 500m/s (cork) up to nearly 5000m/s (Douglas fir).
All this means that the a simple answer for "What is the acoustic impedance of paper?" is not easily supplied. More information needs to be known.

Regards

Neil Burleigh

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|