where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

I&T Nardoni Institute
A state-of-the-art company servicing the metal, mechanical, aeronautical and railway industrial sectors

Technical Discussions
Phil Harper
Director, Tribosonics
Tribosonics Ltd, United Kingdom, Joined Feb 2004, 9

Phil Harper

Director, Tribosonics
Tribosonics Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Feb 2004
03:16 Feb-17-2004
Piezo crystal centre frequency

Hi,
A rather basic question i fear, but i don't have an answer at the moment.
I have got a piezo-ceramic crystal that is 1mm thick and 16mm diameter. I simply want to work out what the centre frequency of it is?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul A. Meyer
R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 47

Paul A. Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
05:47 Feb-17-2004
Re: Piezo crystal centre frequency
Hi Phil,
The product of the thickness and the resonant frequency is usually a constant, in this case it is called the thickness frequency constant. PZTs usually have a value around 2000 Hz-m. Dividing this value by the thickness (.001 m) yields the resonant frequency ~ 2 MHz. In you situation, you should identify the material, then obtain the frequency constant from the manufacturer, then perform the above calculation. Because the material can resonate in other directions (other modes), ensure that you ask the manufacturer for the "thickness frequency constant".
Alternatively, you can measure the actual resonance of the piece by plotting its impedance spectrum or inspecting it with an ultrasound instrument, but the calculation is easier.
I hope this helps.
Paul

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi,
: A rather basic question i fear, but i don't have an answer at the moment.
: I have got a piezo-ceramic crystal that is 1mm thick and 16mm diameter. I simply wantto work out what the centre frequency of it is?
: Any ideas?
: Thanks
------------ End Original Message ------------

shan
shan
02:03 Jun-20-2005
Fr Vs G
what happens if the value of G (mS) is very low in a transducer?

Product Spotlight

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Ceram 35P (Panoramic)

The Ceram 35P is the panoramic brand new portable generators designed by Balteau NDT and is offeri
ng no less than 300kV, 5mA and 100% duty cycle for an incredible image contrast even at full power. It will will surely become a reference as it can be classified as a high power portable unit and can be operated with our CF2000 control unit but also with our well known Hand-X Wireless Remote Control.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s