where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Piezo crystal centre frequency
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.

03:16 Feb-17-2004

Phil Harper

Director, Tribosonics
Tribosonics Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Feb 2004
Piezo crystal centre frequency

Hi,
A rather basic question i fear, but i don't have an answer at the moment.
I have got a piezo-ceramic crystal that is 1mm thick and 16mm diameter. I simply want to work out what the centre frequency of it is?

Any ideas?

Thanks

05:47 Feb-17-2004

Paul A. Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Piezo crystal centre frequency Hi Phil,
The product of the thickness and the resonant frequency is usually a constant, in this case it is called the thickness frequency constant. PZTs usually have a value around 2000 Hz-m. Dividing this value by the thickness (.001 m) yields the resonant frequency ~ 2 MHz. In you situation, you should identify the material, then obtain the frequency constant from the manufacturer, then perform the above calculation. Because the material can resonate in other directions (other modes), ensure that you ask the manufacturer for the "thickness frequency constant".
Alternatively, you can measure the actual resonance of the piece by plotting its impedance spectrum or inspecting it with an ultrasound instrument, but the calculation is easier.
I hope this helps.
Paul

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi,
: A rather basic question i fear, but i don't have an answer at the moment.
: I have got a piezo-ceramic crystal that is 1mm thick and 16mm diameter. I simply wantto work out what the centre frequency of it is?
: Any ideas?
: Thanks
------------ End Original Message ------------

02:03 Jun-20-2005
shan
Fr Vs G what happens if the value of G (mS) is very low in a transducer?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|