where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic Testing of Alloy Steel Casting
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:23 Feb-21-2004

K Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
Ultrasonic Testing of Alloy Steel Casting

I am facing difficulty in a 1 Cr 1 Mo steel casting of 100 mm thick. Firstly we have encountered the total loss of gain. When the UT done after heat treatment we were able to get the echo from half the thickness only.

Now my problem is : Can I get the backwall echo from the total thickness if the heat treatment is done for one more cycle. By doing this will the hardness and other mechanical properties are affected adversely.

I would be highly obliged for helping / giving solution to the said problem.

Regards,
Anandam

00:20 Feb-27-2004

Daniel h. Rice

Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Self Employeed,
USA,
Joined Oct 2002
Re: Ultrasonic Testing of Alloy Steel Casting Alloy steel castings are difficult to inspect using ultrasonic method.
Although there is a standard produced by the ASTM E609 is very specific in what is required for inspection.
I have used this standard and found that it is very good, and if the code is followed closely there is no questions.
Use a 1 mhz to a 2.25 mhz transducer
Polish the surface to a mimum of 250 Micron finish,(rough machining).
use samples of the same heat treatment,of cast material. The method will work, confirm with x-ray, to establish coorelation.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am facing difficulty in a 1 Cr 1 Mo steel casting of 100 mm thick. Firstly we have encountered the total loss of gain. When the UT done after heat treatment we were able to get the echo from half the thickness only.
: Now my problem is : Can I get the backwall echo from the total thickness if the heat treatment is done for one more cycle. By doing this will the hardness and other mechanical properties are affected adversely.
: I would be highly obliged for helping / giving solution to the said problem.
: Regards,
: Anandam
------------ End Original Message ------------

02:50 Feb-28-2004

K. Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
Re: Ultrasonic Testing of Alloy Steel Casting Thank you Mr Rice for your kind help. In fact I wanted to establish UT without proof machining which in fact was really a tough job.

I have ratified the results afte proof maching using the low frequency search probes and got satisfactory results.

I once again thank for your kind help.

regards,
Anandam

----- Start Original Message -----------
: Alloy steel castings are difficult to inspect using ultrasonic method.
: Although there is a standard produced by the ASTM E609 is very specific in what is required for inspection.
: I have used this standard and found that it is very good, and if the code is followed closely there is no questions.
: Use a 1 mhz to a 2.25 mhz transducer
: Polish the surface to a mimum of 250 Micron finish,(rough machining).
: use samples of the same heat treatment,of cast material. The method will work, confirm with x-ray, to establish coorelation.
: : I am facing difficulty in a 1 Cr 1 Mo steel casting of 100 mm thick. Firstly we have encountered the total loss of gain. When the UT done after heat treatment we were able to get the echo from half the thickness only.
: : Now my problem is : Can I get the backwall echo from the total thickness if the heat treatment is done for one more cycle. By doing this will the hardness and other mechanical properties are affected adversely.
: : I would be highly obliged for helping / giving solution to the said problem.
: : Regards,
: : Anandam
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|