where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT for medical application(bone)
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:42 Feb-23-2004
ashkan
NDT for medical application(bone)

I'm engaged in developing a system for measurment of bone cracking,I am at early stage,and I am interested in using NDT for this issue,i would be really appriciate if anybody helping me to find proper ultrasonic equipment? or acoustic emission? for this medical application(in vitro),thanks for any info,#
Ashkan

07:47 Feb-24-2004
Sasaki
Re: NDT for medical application(bone) I belive radiography is the best solution for ever!

01:08 Feb-24-2004
Jens Forker
Re: NDT for medical application(bone) Hello Ashkan,

Acoustic Emission is certainly a promising tool. See e.g. www.vallen.de or contact me directly.

regards
Jens

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I'm engaged in developing a system for measurment of bone cracking,I am at early stage,and I am interested in using NDT for this issue,i would be really appriciate if anybody helping me to find proper ultrasonic equipment? or acoustic emission? for this medical application(in vitro),thanks for any info,#
: Ashkan
------------ End Original Message ------------

06:37 Feb-24-2004

Dr. Sotirios Vahaviolos

R & D, -
MISTRAS Group, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: NDT for medical application(bone) ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I'm engaged in developing a system for measurment of bone cracking,I am at early stage,and I am interested in using NDT for this issue,i would be really appriciate if anybody helping me to find proper ultrasonic equipment? or acoustic emission? for this medical application(in vitro),thanks for any info,#
Dear Mr.Ashkan
Our company and employees pioneered the method of Acoustic Emission in bones together with Cornell School of Special Surgery and Ranselear Polytechic.You can find the original work in the ASNT AE Handbook Section 13 that was Edited by our Dr.Ron Miller.Several researchers are performing work on bones using our equipment and we will be delighted to help you start by e-mailing to us your requirements and research needs.Also for general AE information visit our web page at www.pacndt.com.
Sotirios

07:15 Feb-24-2004
W. Dong
Re: NDT for medical application(bone) I believe AE can do very good job for this type of application. There are some publications regarding this application. One example is "Use of Acoustic Emission to Characterize Focal and Diffuse Microdamage in Bone" authored by Rupak M. Rajachar, Dann L. Chow, Christopher E. Curitis, Neil A. Weissman, and David H. Kohn, published at Acoustic Emission: Standards and Technology Update, ASTM STP 1353, S. J. Vahaviolos, Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, PA, 1999, page 3-21.

This application has also been addressed in the Nondestructive Testing Handbook, Volume 5, Acoustic Emission Testing, Section 13: Acostic Emission Research in Biomedical Engineering, page 447-465, Edited by Ron Miller.

The best equipment for this type of application is a 2 or 4 channel PC card based AE system with miniature AE sensors, e.g. PICO or Nano-30 sensors manufactured by Physical Acoustics Corporation which have wide frequency band and very small dimension (5 - 8 mm in diameter).

01:17 Feb-25-2004
Sasaki
Re: NDT for medical application(bone) "Acoustic Emission" of bone is VERY painful for the patient. Therefore, it is unrealistic.

09:31 Feb-25-2004
Salim BENMEDAKHENE
Re: NDT for medical application(bone) I am not in agreement that acoustic emission is a painful method. It’s a no-intrusive method, without painful, which consists quite simply to recorded the waves coming from the bone.
It is much less dangerous than the traditional methods used currently in medicine. It makes the same function than a stethoscope. We have experience in the field and in particular on the prostheses. Don’t hesitate to contact us at the following address "salim.benmedakhene@aetech.fr"

03:13 Feb-26-2004

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDT for medical application(bone) I have been monitoring this item as the cross-over application of NDT to medicine is not as common as the reverse. Perhaps the original request for information could be more detailed (what aspects of bone cracking are to be monitored?).
But those contributors concerned about intrusive methods and "pain" should note that the original posting stipulated that the testing would be "in vitro" NOT "in vivo".
Ed

: I am not in agreement that acoustic emission is a painful method. It’s a no-intrusive method, without painful, which consists quite simply to recorded the waves coming from the bone.
: It is much less dangerous than the traditional methods used currently in medicine. It makes the same function than a stethoscope. We have experience in the field and in particular on the prostheses. Don’t hesitate to contact us at the following address "salim.benmedakhene@aetech.fr"

05:19 Feb-28-2004

N.T. Azarov

Engineering
GosNIIGA,
Russia,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: NDT for medical application(bone) ----------- Start Original Message -----------

Dear Mr. Ashkan.
To apply a method of acoustic emission to an estimation of cracks in bones of the man it is inconvenient, as for this purpose it is necessary mechanically to load sick bone, that can cause the man a pain. Painless methods of the ultrasonic control of bones the man at the same time are known. One of them a method UCR - "Ultrasound Critical-angle Reflectometry". This method allows to determine strength of bones, and also to find in them cracks and to estimate their sizes. The information on a method UCR can be found in the Internet on a site University of Texas Southwestern - Medical Center, and also in the patents USA 5,197,475; 3,847,141; 4,926,870; 5,259,384; 5,651,363.
However most sensitive method is - Computer Ultrasonic Tomography, with use of special mathematical transformation - Inverse Radon Transform. I have experience of application of this method in ultrasonic testing.
Yours faithfully, N.T. Azarov.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|