where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Materials Research Institute
Consulting to the NDT industry.

Technical Discussions
NDT Guy
NDT Guy
02:47 Mar-09-2004
NIST Traceable Calibrations

Can someone please explain to me about when companys who perform calibrations say traceable to NIST standards, what does this actually mean, lets say for example when you send your UT set to a third party for calibration. They do not say what standards it is traceable to. I see this on all of companys web sites but never a reference of exactly what standards it is traceable to.

What is required to do calibrations to meet NIST standards. QA audits always require that calibrations and calibration blocks are traceable to national standards but it seems that as long as those words as written on a piece of paper its ok but I think most people like myself dont fully understand the implications and requirements behind it.

I would appreciate any light someone can shed on this subject.

Thank you.

Ramon Sifuentes
NDT Inspector
Aviatest C.A., Venezuela, Joined Feb 2002, 2

Ramon Sifuentes

NDT Inspector
Aviatest C.A.,
Venezuela,
Joined Feb 2002
03:53 Mar-10-2004
Re: NIST Traceable Calibrations
When the companies which performs calibrations says "traceable to NIST standards" means that the equipment used by this company to perform the calibration of your equipment is also calibrated against a standard in the National Institute for Standards and Technology.
Those companies have a lot of equipment and/or standards for calibrate or verify the propper performance of your equipment.When they issue a certificate of calibration they MUST list the equipment and standards used to perform the calibration and the calibration and due dates for those equipment. The most important item they must put on your certificate is the NIST traceability number for the equipment used in calibration.This means that there is a file in the NIST which contains the "history" of the calibration of this equipment against a master held in NIST.In fact is like a chain: The NIST calibrate an instrument for the calibration shop and asign it a NIST number, then the shop calibrate your equipment and gives to you a certificate including that NIST number,this assure that your equipment is calibrated according to NIST specifications.
I hope this explanation answer yor question

-------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please explain to me about when companys who perform calibrations say traceable to NIST standards, what does this actually mean, lets say for example when you send your UT set to a third party for calibration. They do not say what standards it is traceable to. I see this on all of companys web sites but never a reference of exactly what standards it is traceable to.
: What is required to do calibrations to meet NIST standards. QA audits always require that calibrations and calibration blocks are traceable to national standards but it seems that as long as those words as written on a piece of paper its ok but I think most people like myself dont fully understand the implications and requirements behind it.
: I would appreciate any light someone can shed on this subject.
: Thank you.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window