where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
NDT Guy
NDT Guy
02:47 Mar-09-2004
NIST Traceable Calibrations

Can someone please explain to me about when companys who perform calibrations say traceable to NIST standards, what does this actually mean, lets say for example when you send your UT set to a third party for calibration. They do not say what standards it is traceable to. I see this on all of companys web sites but never a reference of exactly what standards it is traceable to.

What is required to do calibrations to meet NIST standards. QA audits always require that calibrations and calibration blocks are traceable to national standards but it seems that as long as those words as written on a piece of paper its ok but I think most people like myself dont fully understand the implications and requirements behind it.

I would appreciate any light someone can shed on this subject.

Thank you.

Ramon Sifuentes
NDT Inspector
Aviatest C.A., Venezuela, Joined Feb 2002, 2

Ramon Sifuentes

NDT Inspector
Aviatest C.A.,
Venezuela,
Joined Feb 2002
03:53 Mar-10-2004
Re: NIST Traceable Calibrations
When the companies which performs calibrations says "traceable to NIST standards" means that the equipment used by this company to perform the calibration of your equipment is also calibrated against a standard in the National Institute for Standards and Technology.
Those companies have a lot of equipment and/or standards for calibrate or verify the propper performance of your equipment.When they issue a certificate of calibration they MUST list the equipment and standards used to perform the calibration and the calibration and due dates for those equipment. The most important item they must put on your certificate is the NIST traceability number for the equipment used in calibration.This means that there is a file in the NIST which contains the "history" of the calibration of this equipment against a master held in NIST.In fact is like a chain: The NIST calibrate an instrument for the calibration shop and asign it a NIST number, then the shop calibrate your equipment and gives to you a certificate including that NIST number,this assure that your equipment is calibrated according to NIST specifications.
I hope this explanation answer yor question

-------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please explain to me about when companys who perform calibrations say traceable to NIST standards, what does this actually mean, lets say for example when you send your UT set to a third party for calibration. They do not say what standards it is traceable to. I see this on all of companys web sites but never a reference of exactly what standards it is traceable to.
: What is required to do calibrations to meet NIST standards. QA audits always require that calibrations and calibration blocks are traceable to national standards but it seems that as long as those words as written on a piece of paper its ok but I think most people like myself dont fully understand the implications and requirements behind it.
: I would appreciate any light someone can shed on this subject.
: Thank you.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window