where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
NDT Guy
NDT Guy
02:47 Mar-09-2004
NIST Traceable Calibrations

Can someone please explain to me about when companys who perform calibrations say traceable to NIST standards, what does this actually mean, lets say for example when you send your UT set to a third party for calibration. They do not say what standards it is traceable to. I see this on all of companys web sites but never a reference of exactly what standards it is traceable to.

What is required to do calibrations to meet NIST standards. QA audits always require that calibrations and calibration blocks are traceable to national standards but it seems that as long as those words as written on a piece of paper its ok but I think most people like myself dont fully understand the implications and requirements behind it.

I would appreciate any light someone can shed on this subject.

Thank you.

Ramon Sifuentes
NDT Inspector
Aviatest C.A., Venezuela, Joined Feb 2002, 2

Ramon Sifuentes

NDT Inspector
Aviatest C.A.,
Venezuela,
Joined Feb 2002
03:53 Mar-10-2004
Re: NIST Traceable Calibrations
When the companies which performs calibrations says "traceable to NIST standards" means that the equipment used by this company to perform the calibration of your equipment is also calibrated against a standard in the National Institute for Standards and Technology.
Those companies have a lot of equipment and/or standards for calibrate or verify the propper performance of your equipment.When they issue a certificate of calibration they MUST list the equipment and standards used to perform the calibration and the calibration and due dates for those equipment. The most important item they must put on your certificate is the NIST traceability number for the equipment used in calibration.This means that there is a file in the NIST which contains the "history" of the calibration of this equipment against a master held in NIST.In fact is like a chain: The NIST calibrate an instrument for the calibration shop and asign it a NIST number, then the shop calibrate your equipment and gives to you a certificate including that NIST number,this assure that your equipment is calibrated according to NIST specifications.
I hope this explanation answer yor question

-------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please explain to me about when companys who perform calibrations say traceable to NIST standards, what does this actually mean, lets say for example when you send your UT set to a third party for calibration. They do not say what standards it is traceable to. I see this on all of companys web sites but never a reference of exactly what standards it is traceable to.
: What is required to do calibrations to meet NIST standards. QA audits always require that calibrations and calibration blocks are traceable to national standards but it seems that as long as those words as written on a piece of paper its ok but I think most people like myself dont fully understand the implications and requirements behind it.
: I would appreciate any light someone can shed on this subject.
: Thank you.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window