where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

AT-Automation Technology GmbH
AT -Automation Technology is a systems house for industrial image processing. AT offers thermographic ndt systems as well as high-speed 3D sensors.
Technical Discussions
NDT Guy
NDT Guy
02:47 Mar-09-2004
NIST Traceable Calibrations

Can someone please explain to me about when companys who perform calibrations say traceable to NIST standards, what does this actually mean, lets say for example when you send your UT set to a third party for calibration. They do not say what standards it is traceable to. I see this on all of companys web sites but never a reference of exactly what standards it is traceable to.

What is required to do calibrations to meet NIST standards. QA audits always require that calibrations and calibration blocks are traceable to national standards but it seems that as long as those words as written on a piece of paper its ok but I think most people like myself dont fully understand the implications and requirements behind it.

I would appreciate any light someone can shed on this subject.

Thank you.

Ramon Sifuentes
NDT Inspector
Aviatest C.A., Venezuela, Joined Feb 2002, 2

Ramon Sifuentes

NDT Inspector
Aviatest C.A.,
Venezuela,
Joined Feb 2002
03:53 Mar-10-2004
Re: NIST Traceable Calibrations
When the companies which performs calibrations says "traceable to NIST standards" means that the equipment used by this company to perform the calibration of your equipment is also calibrated against a standard in the National Institute for Standards and Technology.
Those companies have a lot of equipment and/or standards for calibrate or verify the propper performance of your equipment.When they issue a certificate of calibration they MUST list the equipment and standards used to perform the calibration and the calibration and due dates for those equipment. The most important item they must put on your certificate is the NIST traceability number for the equipment used in calibration.This means that there is a file in the NIST which contains the "history" of the calibration of this equipment against a master held in NIST.In fact is like a chain: The NIST calibrate an instrument for the calibration shop and asign it a NIST number, then the shop calibrate your equipment and gives to you a certificate including that NIST number,this assure that your equipment is calibrated according to NIST specifications.
I hope this explanation answer yor question

-------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please explain to me about when companys who perform calibrations say traceable to NIST standards, what does this actually mean, lets say for example when you send your UT set to a third party for calibration. They do not say what standards it is traceable to. I see this on all of companys web sites but never a reference of exactly what standards it is traceable to.
: What is required to do calibrations to meet NIST standards. QA audits always require that calibrations and calibration blocks are traceable to national standards but it seems that as long as those words as written on a piece of paper its ok but I think most people like myself dont fully understand the implications and requirements behind it.
: I would appreciate any light someone can shed on this subject.
: Thank you.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window