where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NIST Traceable Calibrations
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

NT - Nove technologie s.r.o.
Ultrasonic gel for NDT application. Various types of ultrasonic agents. Starsonic SS2, SS3

02:47 Mar-09-2004
NDT Guy
NIST Traceable Calibrations

Can someone please explain to me about when companys who perform calibrations say traceable to NIST standards, what does this actually mean, lets say for example when you send your UT set to a third party for calibration. They do not say what standards it is traceable to. I see this on all of companys web sites but never a reference of exactly what standards it is traceable to.

What is required to do calibrations to meet NIST standards. QA audits always require that calibrations and calibration blocks are traceable to national standards but it seems that as long as those words as written on a piece of paper its ok but I think most people like myself dont fully understand the implications and requirements behind it.

I would appreciate any light someone can shed on this subject.

Thank you.

03:53 Mar-10-2004

Ramon Sifuentes

NDT Inspector
Aviatest C.A.,
Venezuela,
Joined Feb 2002
Re: NIST Traceable Calibrations When the companies which performs calibrations says "traceable to NIST standards" means that the equipment used by this company to perform the calibration of your equipment is also calibrated against a standard in the National Institute for Standards and Technology.
Those companies have a lot of equipment and/or standards for calibrate or verify the propper performance of your equipment.When they issue a certificate of calibration they MUST list the equipment and standards used to perform the calibration and the calibration and due dates for those equipment. The most important item they must put on your certificate is the NIST traceability number for the equipment used in calibration.This means that there is a file in the NIST which contains the "history" of the calibration of this equipment against a master held in NIST.In fact is like a chain: The NIST calibrate an instrument for the calibration shop and asign it a NIST number, then the shop calibrate your equipment and gives to you a certificate including that NIST number,this assure that your equipment is calibrated according to NIST specifications.
I hope this explanation answer yor question

-------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please explain to me about when companys who perform calibrations say traceable to NIST standards, what does this actually mean, lets say for example when you send your UT set to a third party for calibration. They do not say what standards it is traceable to. I see this on all of companys web sites but never a reference of exactly what standards it is traceable to.
: What is required to do calibrations to meet NIST standards. QA audits always require that calibrations and calibration blocks are traceable to national standards but it seems that as long as those words as written on a piece of paper its ok but I think most people like myself dont fully understand the implications and requirements behind it.
: I would appreciate any light someone can shed on this subject.
: Thank you.
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|