where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
RF Display
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE
The Ultrasound Institute can develop new advanced ultrasonic measurement, imaging and NDT techniques for non-conventional applications.

04:04 Mar-17-2004
Vinny
RF Display

When and why would you use the RF display when performing ultrasonic thickness measurements?

06:11 Mar-18-2004
Richard Kazares
Re: RF Display The A-Scan is needed for thickness measurements when you want to be able to discriminate between corrosion (plate thinning) and possible delamination (linear internal cracking).

Without the A-Scan (or an Amplitude-based C-Scan image) it would be impossible to tell the difference - and could result in incorrect conclusions and repair actions.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: When and why would you use the RF display when performing ultrasonic thickness measurements?
------------ End Original Message ------------

09:20 Mar-18-2004

Phil

Sales, -
MISTRAS Products & Systems,
USA,
Joined Feb 2002
Re: RF Display I concur

: The A-Scan is needed for thickness measurements when you want to be able to discriminate between corrosion (plate thinning) and possible delamination (linear internal cracking).
: Without the A-Scan (or an Amplitude-based C-Scan image) it would be impossible to tell the difference - and could result in incorrect conclusions and repair actions.
: : When and why would you use the RF display when performing ultrasonic thickness measurements?

00:53 Mar-19-2004
Vinny
Re: RF Display I think you misunderstood the question. I realize you need the A-scan for identification of indications but what I was wondering is why would you use a RF display on the A-scan as opposed to using the full wave rectified or half wave + or half wave -.

My understanding is it is more accurate especially at high frequencys but I am not sure if this is right and if it is right why.

Can anyone please explain the purpose of the RF display.

Thanks.

: I concur
: : The A-Scan is needed for thickness measurements when you want to be able to discriminate between corrosion (plate thinning) and possible delamination (linear internal cracking).
: : Without the A-Scan (or an Amplitude-based C-Scan image) it would be impossible to tell the difference - and could result in incorrect conclusions and repair actions.
: : : When and why would you use the RF display when performing ultrasonic thickness measurements?

06:36 Mar-19-2004

Ahmed Yamani

Director, - President & CEO
Yamani Institute of Technology,
Algeria,
Joined Nov 2001
Re: RF Display
RF (Radio Frequency) signal is needed if one is interested in advanced signal processing that uses phase information as well as amplitude,(such as defect identification/classification). However, if amplitude based signal processing is used one can used the rectified version of the A-scan.
Good Luck

: I think you misunderstood the question. I realize you need the A-scan for identification of indications but what I was wondering is why would you use a RF display on the A-scan as opposed to using the full wave rectified or half wave + or half wave -.
: My understanding is it is more accurate especially at high frequencys but I am not sure if this is right and if it is right why.
: Can anyone please explain the purpose of the RF display.
: Thanks.
: : I concur
: : : The A-Scan is needed for thickness measurements when you want to be able to discriminate between corrosion (plate thinning) and possible delamination (linear internal cracking).
: : : Without the A-Scan (or an Amplitude-based C-Scan image) it would be impossible to tell the difference - and could result in incorrect conclusions and repair actions.
: : : : When and why would you use the RF display when performing ultrasonic thickness measurements?

04:29 Mar-27-2004
Csaba Hollo
Re: RF Display ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: When and why would you use the RF display when performing ultrasonic thickness measurements?

Sorry if this is a bit of a diatribe...

Many a-scan instruments, including digital flaw detectors utilize gate intercept techniques for time of flight measurements. Observation of the back wall echo characteristics using the unrectified (RF) signal often leads to a more accurate measurement. The operator is able to select a more "clean" echo to trigger the measurement gate. Historically, I have used RF to take thickness measurements on high temperature materials using non hi temp couplants. The couplant would "flash", allowing a few seconds to take the measurement. With limited time for recognition of true back wall echos versus noise, the RF display helps a lot to determine the true back wall echoes.
RF displays will help in making more accurate measurements when transducer selection is less than optimal.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|