where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
transmissibiltiy
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:51 Mar-17-2004
Akshay Singh
transmissibiltiy

Hello:

I am trying to monitor transfer of low level signals through 2by4s (wood used for construction). It is well established that the signals travel pretty well along the grain of the length of the 2by4s. However the problem occurs when you arey trying to detected the signal across joints of 2by4.

My question is how can I improve the signal transfer through joints of the 2by4s. Does anybody have an insight?

Thanks
Akshay

02:24 Mar-17-2004

John Rodgers

Consultant
Acoustic Emission Consulting, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Oct 2001
Re: transmissibiltiy ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello:
: I am trying to monitor transfer of low level signals through 2by4s (wood used for construction). It is well established that the signals travel pretty well along the grain of the length of the 2by4s. However the problem occurs when you arey trying to detected the signal across joints of 2by4.
: My question is how can I improve the signal transfer through joints of the 2by4s. Does anybody have an insight?
: Thanks
: Akshay
------------ End Original Message ------------

Are you trying to propagate low frequency sound waves, or in the ultrasonic frequencies? Intimate contact is one of the prerequisites. Lower frequencies will also propagate better. Adhesive bonding or nailed joints will also propagate better. The nails will act as waveguides to couple sound from one piece of wood to the other. Are you passively listening or actively pulsing?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|