where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Training Materials for Level II UT
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Hillger Ing. Büro
was founded in 1984 and develops special ultrasonic imaging systems for high-tech materials.

02:03 Feb-24-1999
Gerald Austin
Training Materials for Level II UT

I have the opportunity to get a job close to home as a QC inspector in a plant that makes aerospace components. My welding background, MT/PT/CWI cert and previous QA/QC experience has my foot in the door. One other requirement is ASNT Level II in ultrasonics.

I don't have the documented training since all of the training I have was performed at home using the General Dynamics books. I am wanting to know if there are any other training materials that would be recommended. I intend to take a course at my cost but do not want to take any chance on failing and may not have timebefore they hire. I was told that if I can pass a level II test that I would probably be hired.

Any information about other single books that are geared towards that level of UT training would be appreciated. I already have a pretty good basic knowledge including setup, calibration, and operation of shear wave equipment.

Thanks

06:11 Feb-24-1999

Richard D. Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Training Materials for Level II UT : I have the opportunity to get a job close to home as a QC inspector in a plant that makes aerospace components. My welding background, MT/PT/CWI cert and previous QA/QC experience has my foot in the door. One other requirement is ASNT Level II in ultrasonics.

: I don't have the documented training since all of the training I have was performed at home using the General Dynamics books. I am wanting to know if there are any other training materials that would be recommended. I intend to take a course at my cost but do not want to take any chance on failing and may not have timebefore they hire. I was told that if I can pass a level II test that I would probably be hired.

: Any information about other single books that are geared towards that level of UT training would be appreciated. I already have a pretty good basic knowledge including setup, calibration, and operation of shear wave equipment.

: Thanks
:
-----------------------------------
Dear Sir,

There are other aspects to gaininga ASNT Level-II UT Certification other than taking a test. Do you have past hands on UT experience? If so, is this experience documented? In order to officially be certified you must also have documented hands on experience, which is signed off by a individual Certified Level-II or Level-III in UT that supervised your work.

The UT test you are about to take will only provide you with necessary documentation that you have received the Formal Training requirements and that you have passed an exam at the end of the Formal training. It does not provide you with actual Level-II, UT Certification.

I would recommend viewing a copy of the ASNT-TC-1A document which will provide you with the required EXPERIENCE and FORMAL TRAINING hours necessary to achieve actual certifications.

Best of Luck
Rich

01:10 Feb-25-1999
Gerald Austin
Re: Training Materials for Level II UT :There are other aspects to gaining a ASNT Level-II UT Certification other than taking a test. Do you have past hands on UT experience?

Yes. Shear Wave on AWS D14.6 fan shrouds on industrial fans. Used as a supplement to radiography for better defect location.

Also prepared weld samples for IGSCC samples and other types of discontinuities. And verified location and mapped using Shear Wave and RT.

Also played with machine and defective weld samples I made for hours at the house or at work to learn how to setup and calibrate. Also made some side drilled holes in plate on Milling machine to verify I had the Idea.

Wrote a computer program in Quick Basic and Visual Basic that graphically illustrates the sound path, weld joint, reflector location, transducer/wedge location given Sound path, base metal thickness, groove angle, root opening, root face, transducer distance from weld toe, and wedge angle.

Wrote a calculator program using an HP RPN calculator that does the UT math for defect location based on user input of thickness, wedge angle and sound path. (Because I'm a math retard)

:If so, is this experience documented? In order to officially be certified you must also have documented hands on experience, which is signed off by a individual Certified Level-II or Level-III in UT that supervised your work.

Not documented. I was QA/QC Manager for a company. I didn't have a supervisor.

: The UT test you are about to take will only provide you with necessary documentation that you have received the Formal Training requirements and that you have passed an exam at the end of the Formal training. It does not provide you with actual Level-II, UT Certification.

I understand the Qualification vs. Certification.

: I would recommend viewing a copy of the ASNT-TC-1A document which will provide you with the required EXPERIENCE and FORMAL TRAINING hours necessary to achieve actual certifications.

I can get the OJT hours documented. The formal training hours, 40 I believe, I cannot document since I have never had any formal training.

: Best of Luck
: Rich

Thanks for responding Rich. Have a nice day. The UT information on this website is great. Its probably going to help quite a bit.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|