where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Phoenix Inspection Systems Limited
Design and manufacture ultrasonic Transducers, Scanners and Custom Solutions for NDT inspections. Innovators in NDT technology

Technical Discussions
Ed T.
Ed T.
01:35 Mar-19-2004
Re: RF Output

It's not used very often by manual UT operators, but I believe one use of the RF display for is to enable the operator to observe any phase changes in signal responses. This assists the operator by aiding in discerning geometric or metallurgical responses from real flaws.
For example, geometric reflectors may be in phase with the sound pressure in the material giving you a positive response, whereas a crack may be 180º out of phase giving you a negative response.
Like I said, it's not used very often, because it is not always reliable.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 517

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
07:14 Mar-19-2004
Re: RF Output
Most common use in manual UT testing is looking for disbonds, i.e distinguishing between echo from change in material and echo from backwall. Phase changes can be obvious on the RF signal and invisible on the rectified one.
I can't say I've ever heard of the unrectified RF signal being REQUIRED for straightforward thickness measurement

Joe

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It's not used very often by manual UT operators, but I believe one use of the RF display for is to enable the operator to observe any phase changes in signal responses. This assists the operator by aiding in discerning geometric or metallurgical responses from real flaws.
: For example, geometric reflectors may be in phase with the sound pressure in the material giving you a positive response, whereas a crack may be 180º out of phase giving you a negative response.
: Like I said, it's not used very often, because it is not always reliable.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s