where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes (CMS) is a leader in Non Destructive Testing (NDT) with a complete range of products for eddy current and ultrasonic i ...
Technical Discussions
Ed T.
Ed T.
01:35 Mar-19-2004
Re: RF Output

It's not used very often by manual UT operators, but I believe one use of the RF display for is to enable the operator to observe any phase changes in signal responses. This assists the operator by aiding in discerning geometric or metallurgical responses from real flaws.
For example, geometric reflectors may be in phase with the sound pressure in the material giving you a positive response, whereas a crack may be 180º out of phase giving you a negative response.
Like I said, it's not used very often, because it is not always reliable.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 526

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
07:14 Mar-19-2004
Re: RF Output
Most common use in manual UT testing is looking for disbonds, i.e distinguishing between echo from change in material and echo from backwall. Phase changes can be obvious on the RF signal and invisible on the rectified one.
I can't say I've ever heard of the unrectified RF signal being REQUIRED for straightforward thickness measurement

Joe

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It's not used very often by manual UT operators, but I believe one use of the RF display for is to enable the operator to observe any phase changes in signal responses. This assists the operator by aiding in discerning geometric or metallurgical responses from real flaws.
: For example, geometric reflectors may be in phase with the sound pressure in the material giving you a positive response, whereas a crack may be 180º out of phase giving you a negative response.
: Like I said, it's not used very often, because it is not always reliable.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Surf-X® Array Probe

Introducing the Surf-X family of flexible Eddy Current Array (ECA) probes. Featuring unique multiple
coil sets and proprietary X-PROBE technology, Surf-X array probes can quickly and accurately handle a range of inspection applications, from inspecting corrosion or cracking in pipes, pressure vessels, or tanks, to assessing and sizing cracks in raised welds and friction stir welds.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window