where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Ed T.
Ed T.
01:35 Mar-19-2004
Re: RF Output

It's not used very often by manual UT operators, but I believe one use of the RF display for is to enable the operator to observe any phase changes in signal responses. This assists the operator by aiding in discerning geometric or metallurgical responses from real flaws.
For example, geometric reflectors may be in phase with the sound pressure in the material giving you a positive response, whereas a crack may be 180º out of phase giving you a negative response.
Like I said, it's not used very often, because it is not always reliable.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 528

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
07:14 Mar-19-2004
Re: RF Output
Most common use in manual UT testing is looking for disbonds, i.e distinguishing between echo from change in material and echo from backwall. Phase changes can be obvious on the RF signal and invisible on the rectified one.
I can't say I've ever heard of the unrectified RF signal being REQUIRED for straightforward thickness measurement

Joe

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It's not used very often by manual UT operators, but I believe one use of the RF display for is to enable the operator to observe any phase changes in signal responses. This assists the operator by aiding in discerning geometric or metallurgical responses from real flaws.
: For example, geometric reflectors may be in phase with the sound pressure in the material giving you a positive response, whereas a crack may be 180º out of phase giving you a negative response.
: Like I said, it's not used very often, because it is not always reliable.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Research and Application Development For NDT

Acuren’s Research and Application Development specializes in the development of advanced ultraso
nic inspection techniques and systems for challenging inspection applications, with an emphasis on practical solutions which are field deployable. Services include manual and automated ultrasonic inspection system development, inspection technique optimization using laboratory scale studies and ultrasonic modeling (CIVA, BeamTool), preparing technical justification for technique evaluation and qualification (Probability of Detection and sizing accuracy studies), inspection/calibration/analysis procedure preparation to support field deployment of custom techniques, and development of custom imaging algorithms to support challenging inspection applications.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Micro CT

nanoVoxel series has nano-scale resolution upto 500nm by using high voltage X-ray source (from 80-
300 kV) with micro/nano focal spot and highly sensitive flat panel detectors and unique Optical coupling detector.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window