where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Phoenix Inspection Systems Limited
Design and manufacture ultrasonic Transducers, Scanners and Custom Solutions for NDT inspections. Innovators in NDT technology

Technical Discussions
Ed T.
Ed T.
01:35 Mar-19-2004
Re: RF Output

It's not used very often by manual UT operators, but I believe one use of the RF display for is to enable the operator to observe any phase changes in signal responses. This assists the operator by aiding in discerning geometric or metallurgical responses from real flaws.
For example, geometric reflectors may be in phase with the sound pressure in the material giving you a positive response, whereas a crack may be 180º out of phase giving you a negative response.
Like I said, it's not used very often, because it is not always reliable.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 519

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
07:14 Mar-19-2004
Re: RF Output
Most common use in manual UT testing is looking for disbonds, i.e distinguishing between echo from change in material and echo from backwall. Phase changes can be obvious on the RF signal and invisible on the rectified one.
I can't say I've ever heard of the unrectified RF signal being REQUIRED for straightforward thickness measurement

Joe

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It's not used very often by manual UT operators, but I believe one use of the RF display for is to enable the operator to observe any phase changes in signal responses. This assists the operator by aiding in discerning geometric or metallurgical responses from real flaws.
: For example, geometric reflectors may be in phase with the sound pressure in the material giving you a positive response, whereas a crack may be 180º out of phase giving you a negative response.
: Like I said, it's not used very often, because it is not always reliable.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Flaw Detector & Thickness Gauge: Smartor

SIUI’s newly launched Smartor is a combination of ultrasonic testing and ultrasonic thickness me
asurement. ●IP 66 ●Compact size: 198 (W)* 128 (H) *520 (D) mm ●0.9kg only with battery ●5.7" LCD with high resolution 640×480 pixels ●One-hand operation ●Multiple conventional UT functions ●Smart Test Wizard ●Weld Simulation
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window