where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
bonding piezoelectric ceramics
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:20 Mar-22-2004
Cheryl Forrester
bonding piezoelectric ceramics

I have some piezoelectric ceramic discs which i want to attach to a plate to do some work with lamb waves. However, the piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bond them properly to the plate.
Thanks
Cheryl

01:40 Mar-23-2004
Joerg Schulze-Clewing
Re: bonding piezoelectric ceramics Cheryl, can you bond wire to the electrode, for example using
conductive epoxy and then glue them? As long as you don't
use high power levels this could work.

Regards, Joerg.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have some piezoelectric ceramic discs which i want to attach to a plate to do some work with lamb waves. However, the piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bond them properly to the plate.
: Thanks
: Cheryl
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:46 Mar-23-2004
Cheryl Forrester
Re: bonding piezoelectric ceramics would it be possible to use a conductive glue then use the plate as the 2nd electrode. I need to put three discs on the same plate so could this work?
Thanks
Cheryl

: Cheryl, can you bond wire to the electrode, for example using
: conductive epoxy and then glue them? As long as you don't
: use high power levels this could work.
: Regards, Joerg.
: : I have some piezoelectric ceramic discs which i want to attach to a plate to do some work with lamb waves. However, the piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bond them properly to the plate.
: : Thanks
: : Cheryl

09:18 Mar-23-2004
Robert Paynter
Re: bonding piezoelectric ceramics ----------- Start Original Message -----------
... piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone ...

I think you may need to get different piezo discs. Could you not get them attached to a foil on one
side, with one of the electrodes attached to the
foil? Here's a sounder like that.

0.15 GPB - that's pretty good price - I suspect
you will be able to get higher spec ones elsewhere
I suspect the foil/plate it's already attached to
maybe too thick (but maybe not)

Good Luck

Robert

00:15 Mar-23-2004
Joerg Schulze-Clewing
Re: bonding piezoelectric ceramics Cheryl, you could probably do that. I don't know
your application. My work is medical (so we use PZT-5)
and glueing on a steel plate doesn't really work there
because you'll get a lot of ringdown in the near field,
and poor target resolution. But if you have a CW case
then I guess it won't matter. Just make sure stuff doesn't
corrode much.

Another concern is ground. Mostly I need to have the
front electrode grounded for noise immunity. In your
case that may not be possible because you want to glue
multiple transducers on the same steel plate. So then
the steel would be the common ground.

One other suggestion: You could also used copper clad
circuit board material if you need the back electrodes
of the three transducers separate. It's just not a very
good "backing material". But if you make the copper clad
larger than the transducers then you'd have a place to
solder your cable to.

Regards, Joerg.

: would it be possible to use a conductive glue then use the plate as the 2nd electrode. I need to put three discs on the same plate so could this work?
: Thanks
: Cheryl
: : Cheryl, can you bond wire to the electrode, for example using
: : conductive epoxy and then glue them? As long as you don't
: : use high power levels this could work.
: : Regards, Joerg.
: : : I have some piezoelectric ceramic discs which i want to attach to a plate to do some work with lamb waves. However, the piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bond them properly to the plate.
: : : Thanks
: : : Cheryl

08:02 Mar-24-2004
Klaus Brebøl
Re: bonding piezoelectric ceramics ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: ... piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone ...
: I think you may need to get different piezo discs. Could you not get them attached to a foil on one
: side, with one of the electrodes attached to the
: foil? Here's a sounder like that.
: 0.15 GPB - that's pretty good price - I suspect
: you will be able to get higher spec ones elsewhere
: I suspect the foil/plate it's already attached to
: maybe too thick (but maybe not)
: Good Luck
: Robert
If you are working at room temperature you can use the piezos you have. Changing temperatures can give problems, depending on geometry, due to difference in thermal expansion and a thin glue layer. Roughen the surface of the metal with emerycloth. Glue the parts together with a low viscosity glue (like water), epoxy or cyanoacrylate. Keep the parts under light pressure while curing. That will make electrical contact through the glue. Check the capacitance between top electrode on piezo and metal. If it is the same as for the piezo, contact is OK, if not then you have made a series connection of a piezo and a 'glue' capacitor. Cyano glue has the advantage that it dissolves in acetone, so you can try again.

Good luck

Klaus Brebøl

08:11 Feb-15-2005
Cesar Quintero
bonding piezoelectric ceramics This page is very important for my job. please, I need now how I can request a epoxic resin for a piezoelectric ceramic that stick to the aluminium piece for treatment medical in phisiotherapy?, thaks.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|