where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.

Technical Discussions
Cheryl Forrester
Cheryl Forrester
01:20 Mar-22-2004
bonding piezoelectric ceramics

I have some piezoelectric ceramic discs which i want to attach to a plate to do some work with lamb waves. However, the piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bond them properly to the plate.
Thanks
Cheryl

Joerg Schulze-Clewing
Joerg Schulze-Clewing
01:40 Mar-23-2004
Re: bonding piezoelectric ceramics
Cheryl, can you bond wire to the electrode, for example using
conductive epoxy and then glue them? As long as you don't
use high power levels this could work.

Regards, Joerg.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have some piezoelectric ceramic discs which i want to attach to a plate to do some work with lamb waves. However, the piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bond them properly to the plate.
: Thanks
: Cheryl
------------ End Original Message ------------

Cheryl Forrester
Cheryl Forrester
01:46 Mar-23-2004
would it be possible to use a conductive glue then use the plate as the 2nd electrode. I need to put three discs on the same plate so could this work?
Thanks
Cheryl

: Cheryl, can you bond wire to the electrode, for example using
: conductive epoxy and then glue them? As long as you don't
: use high power levels this could work.
: Regards, Joerg.
: : I have some piezoelectric ceramic discs which i want to attach to a plate to do some work with lamb waves. However, the piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bond them properly to the plate.
: : Thanks
: : Cheryl

Robert Paynter
Robert Paynter
09:18 Mar-23-2004
... piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone ...

I think you may need to get different piezo discs. Could you not get them attached to a foil on one
side, with one of the electrodes attached to the
foil? Here's a sounder like that.

0.15 GPB - that's pretty good price - I suspect
you will be able to get higher spec ones elsewhere
I suspect the foil/plate it's already attached to
maybe too thick (but maybe not)

Good Luck

Robert

Joerg Schulze-Clewing
Joerg Schulze-Clewing
00:15 Mar-23-2004
Cheryl, you could probably do that. I don't know
your application. My work is medical (so we use PZT-5)
and glueing on a steel plate doesn't really work there
because you'll get a lot of ringdown in the near field,
and poor target resolution. But if you have a CW case
then I guess it won't matter. Just make sure stuff doesn't
corrode much.

Another concern is ground. Mostly I need to have the
front electrode grounded for noise immunity. In your
case that may not be possible because you want to glue
multiple transducers on the same steel plate. So then
the steel would be the common ground.

One other suggestion: You could also used copper clad
circuit board material if you need the back electrodes
of the three transducers separate. It's just not a very
good "backing material". But if you make the copper clad
larger than the transducers then you'd have a place to
solder your cable to.

Regards, Joerg.

: would it be possible to use a conductive glue then use the plate as the 2nd electrode. I need to put three discs on the same plate so could this work?
: Thanks
: Cheryl
: : Cheryl, can you bond wire to the electrode, for example using
: : conductive epoxy and then glue them? As long as you don't
: : use high power levels this could work.
: : Regards, Joerg.
: : : I have some piezoelectric ceramic discs which i want to attach to a plate to do some work with lamb waves. However, the piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bond them properly to the plate.
: : : Thanks
: : : Cheryl

Klaus Brebøl
Klaus Brebøl
08:02 Mar-24-2004
: ... piezos have electrodes on each side of the disc and do not wrap round. Does anyone ...
: I think you may need to get different piezo discs. Could you not get them attached to a foil on one
: side, with one of the electrodes attached to the
: foil? Here's a sounder like that.
: 0.15 GPB - that's pretty good price - I suspect
: you will be able to get higher spec ones elsewhere
: I suspect the foil/plate it's already attached to
: maybe too thick (but maybe not)
: Good Luck
: Robert
If you are working at room temperature you can use the piezos you have. Changing temperatures can give problems, depending on geometry, due to difference in thermal expansion and a thin glue layer. Roughen the surface of the metal with emerycloth. Glue the parts together with a low viscosity glue (like water), epoxy or cyanoacrylate. Keep the parts under light pressure while curing. That will make electrical contact through the glue. Check the capacitance between top electrode on piezo and metal. If it is the same as for the piezo, contact is OK, if not then you have made a series connection of a piezo and a 'glue' capacitor. Cyano glue has the advantage that it dissolves in acetone, so you can try again.

Good luck

Klaus Brebøl

Cesar Quintero
Cesar Quintero
08:11 Feb-15-2005
bonding piezoelectric ceramics
This page is very important for my job. please, I need now how I can request a epoxic resin for a piezoelectric ceramic that stick to the aluminium piece for treatment medical in phisiotherapy?, thaks.

Product Spotlight

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection - YXLON FF35 CT

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection r
esults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window