where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Nasheed ur Rahim
Nasheed ur Rahim
09:50 Mar-25-2004
Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline

I am looking for any technique or procedure to check the internal product blockage in long piping without desmentalling.

Recently we have seen a blockage in one our long run process piping but we couldn't know the exact location of blockage.

Please help in this regard

Thanks

Nasheed ur Rahim
Pakistan PTA Limited
Port Qasim
Karachi

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
01:33 Mar-26-2004
Re: Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline
Hello,

Pl. give more information. Are the pipe lines above ground, are they overhead, are they insulated or are they accessible for ultrasonic testing? What is the fluid being carried inside? Clear liquid or a slurry?

As you can probably make out from the questions, I am trying to determine if Ultrasonic Testing can be the solution.

Best wishes.

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for any technique or procedure to check the internal product blockage in long piping without desmentalling.
: Recently we have seen a blockage in one our long run process piping but we couldn't know the exact location of blockage.
: Please help in this regard
: Thanks
: Nasheed ur Rahim
: Pakistan PTA Limited
: Port Qasim
: Karachi
------------ End Original Message ------------

Christoph Schnitger
Christoph Schnitger
08:41 Mar-26-2004

Dear Sirs...

normally this is a classic demand for using X-ray / Gamma radiography with on-stream technique...we have a full digital system working with a plate array..so you have in a shorter time the picture on your PC desktop..( advantage : no films, shortes explo. time)

The biggest advantage is that you can measure also the thickness online and there is no need to through
the steel mantel away....

If you have more questions please contact me !

K Anandam
Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited, India, Joined Oct 2001, 13

K Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
09:11 Mar-26-2004
You may try the skin temeperature measurement by infrared thermometer ( if the pipe is not insulated ) which may reveal the blockage.
Regards,
Anandam.
------ Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for any technique or procedure to check the internal product blockage in long piping without desmentalling.
: Recently we have seen a blockage in one our long run process piping but we couldn't know the exact location of blockage.

Charlie Jackson
Engineering
MBINSPECTION, United Kingdom, Joined Aug 2003, 7

Charlie Jackson

Engineering
MBINSPECTION,
United Kingdom,
Joined Aug 2003
03:42 Mar-26-2004

Nasheed
Just a few ideas that may be worthy of consideration:-
Thermal imaging which may show temperature gradient in areas of blockage.
Profile radiography a common solution improved somewhat by digitisation but slow
UT through transmission or pulse echo with large low frequency probes. Obviously dependant on contents but works well in some applications
Although your request was for online inspection consideration should be given to the use of the Pheonix acoustic ranger during shutdowns where line fouling has been an issue.

Regards Charlie Jackson MBI

Thomas Murphy
Thomas Murphy
06:37 Mar-26-2004
Hello all,

Out of curiosity couldn't you just walk the pipe down with a stethoscope and listen for the blockage (assumes pipe is accessible). Not my field but I would think a partial or complete blockage would sound different.

Regards,
Tom

S S Ananthan
Consultant,
RAA Tech Solutions, India, Joined Jun 2000, 36

S S Ananthan

Consultant,
RAA Tech Solutions,
India,
Joined Jun 2000
06:29 Mar-30-2004
Dear Mr Rahim,

Youi can use the AR 4000 Acoustic Ranger ( tube blockage detector ) of M/s Phoenix UK. One tube end must be open and there must not be any fluid in the blocked line for this test ( as I understand from he literature ) We have just now bought equipment and you may be in touch with me if you want more details.

S S Ananthan

: Hello,
: Pl. give more information. Are the pipe lines above ground, are they overhead, are they insulated or are they accessible for ultrasonic testing? What is the fluid being carried inside? Clear liquid or a slurry?
: As you can probably make out from the questions, I am trying to determine if Ultrasonic Testing can be the solution.
: Best wishes.
: Swamy
: : I am looking for any technique or procedure to check the internal product blockage in long piping without desmentalling.
: : Recently we have seen a blockage in one our long run process piping but we couldn't know the exact location of blockage.
: : Please help in this regard
: : Thanks
: : Nasheed ur Rahim
: : Pakistan PTA Limited
: : Port Qasim
: : Karachi

John Turner
John Turner
00:21 Mar-30-2004
s-1/6553.html

Product Spotlight

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window