where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

GE Inspection Technologies GmbH
offers equipment, systems and expertise based on ultrasonics, radiography, eddy curreent and remote visual inspection.

09:50 Mar-25-2004
Nasheed ur Rahim
Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline

I am looking for any technique or procedure to check the internal product blockage in long piping without desmentalling.

Recently we have seen a blockage in one our long run process piping but we couldn't know the exact location of blockage.

Please help in this regard

Thanks

Nasheed ur Rahim
Pakistan PTA Limited
Port Qasim
Karachi

01:33 Mar-26-2004

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline Hello,

Pl. give more information. Are the pipe lines above ground, are they overhead, are they insulated or are they accessible for ultrasonic testing? What is the fluid being carried inside? Clear liquid or a slurry?

As you can probably make out from the questions, I am trying to determine if Ultrasonic Testing can be the solution.

Best wishes.

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for any technique or procedure to check the internal product blockage in long piping without desmentalling.
: Recently we have seen a blockage in one our long run process piping but we couldn't know the exact location of blockage.
: Please help in this regard
: Thanks
: Nasheed ur Rahim
: Pakistan PTA Limited
: Port Qasim
: Karachi
------------ End Original Message ------------

08:41 Mar-26-2004
Christoph Schnitger
Re: Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline
Dear Sirs...

normally this is a classic demand for using X-ray / Gamma radiography with on-stream technique...we have a full digital system working with a plate array..so you have in a shorter time the picture on your PC desktop..( advantage : no films, shortes explo. time)

The biggest advantage is that you can measure also the thickness online and there is no need to through
the steel mantel away....

If you have more questions please contact me !

09:11 Mar-26-2004

K Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
Re: Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline You may try the skin temeperature measurement by infrared thermometer ( if the pipe is not insulated ) which may reveal the blockage.
Regards,
Anandam.
------ Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for any technique or procedure to check the internal product blockage in long piping without desmentalling.
: Recently we have seen a blockage in one our long run process piping but we couldn't know the exact location of blockage.

03:42 Mar-26-2004

Charlie Jackson

Engineering
MBINSPECTION,
United Kingdom,
Joined Aug 2003
Re: Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline ----------- Start Original Message -----------

Nasheed
Just a few ideas that may be worthy of consideration:-
Thermal imaging which may show temperature gradient in areas of blockage.
Profile radiography a common solution improved somewhat by digitisation but slow
UT through transmission or pulse echo with large low frequency probes. Obviously dependant on contents but works well in some applications
Although your request was for online inspection consideration should be given to the use of the Pheonix acoustic ranger during shutdowns where line fouling has been an issue.

Regards Charlie Jackson MBI

06:37 Mar-26-2004
Thomas Murphy
Re: Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline Hello all,

Out of curiosity couldn't you just walk the pipe down with a stethoscope and listen for the blockage (assumes pipe is accessible). Not my field but I would think a partial or complete blockage would sound different.

Regards,
Tom

06:29 Mar-30-2004

S S Ananthan

Consultant,
RAA Tech Solutions,
India,
Joined Jun 2000
Re: Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline Dear Mr Rahim,

Youi can use the AR 4000 Acoustic Ranger ( tube blockage detector ) of M/s Phoenix UK. One tube end must be open and there must not be any fluid in the blocked line for this test ( as I understand from he literature ) We have just now bought equipment and you may be in touch with me if you want more details.

S S Ananthan

: Hello,
: Pl. give more information. Are the pipe lines above ground, are they overhead, are they insulated or are they accessible for ultrasonic testing? What is the fluid being carried inside? Clear liquid or a slurry?
: As you can probably make out from the questions, I am trying to determine if Ultrasonic Testing can be the solution.
: Best wishes.
: Swamy
: : I am looking for any technique or procedure to check the internal product blockage in long piping without desmentalling.
: : Recently we have seen a blockage in one our long run process piping but we couldn't know the exact location of blockage.
: : Please help in this regard
: : Thanks
: : Nasheed ur Rahim
: : Pakistan PTA Limited
: : Port Qasim
: : Karachi

00:21 Mar-30-2004
John Turner
Re: Any NDT Technique for Blocked Pipieline s-1/6553.html

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|