where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Larry
Larry
00:16 Mar-26-2004
UT Acceptance Criteria

I seem to recall some code in which the acceptance criteria depends on which third of the weld the defect lies in (top third, bottom third, or middle third). I dont recall what code this is, can some one please refresh my memory. I do remember that you could basically have a lot of defects in the middle third due to the low stress in that area, (neutral axis).

Bud
Bud
00:43 Mar-28-2004
Re: UT Acceptance Criteria
You may be thinking of ASME Section XI, where the lower or inner one third is inspected with volumetric methods (UT/RT) and the upper or outer one third with surface methods (MT/PT/VT). Acceptance criteria is based on size of recorded indications (length) and location.

John Woollven
John Woollven
08:45 Mar-29-2004
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I seem to recall some code in which the acceptance criteria depends on which third of the weld the defect lies in (top third, bottom third, or middle third). I dont recall what code this is, can some one please refresh my memory. I do remember that you could basically have a lot of defects in the middle third due to the low stress in that area, (neutral axis).
------------ End Original Message ------------

I believe what you may be referring to is ANSI/AWS D1.1 or its Canadian cousin CSA W59. For some of the techniques, different angle beams are specified for the top quarter, middle half and bottom quarter.

Larry
Larry
01:32 Mar-30-2004
No its not D1.1 or W59, that refers to scanning techniques, what I was referring to was when an indication is found, the location (top, middle or bottom third) will determine whether its rejectable since each section has different requirements, as I said earlier I am pretty sure you are allowed a lot in the middle third due to the lower stresses.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I seem to recall some code in which the acceptance criteria depends on which third of the weld the defect lies in (top third, bottom third, or middle third). I dont recall what code this is, can some one please refresh my memory. I do remember that you could basically have a lot of defects in the middle third due to the low stress in that area, (neutral axis).
: I believe what you may be referring to is ANSI/AWS D1.1 or its Canadian cousin CSA W59. For some of the techniques, different angle beams are specified for the top quarter, middle half and bottom quarter.

sujay
sujay
00:14 Nov-10-2004
dear sir ,what are acceptance ceritaria forabove subject,as per asme section 8kindly sent the that to my id
thanking you,
yours faithfully
sujay----------- Start Original Message -----------
: No its not D1.1 or W59, that refers to scanning techniques, what I was referring to was when an indication is found, the location (top, middle or bottom third) will determine whether its rejectable since each section has different requirements, as I said earlier I am pretty sure you are allowed a lot in the middle third due to the lower stresses.
:
: : : I seem to recall some code in which the acceptance criteria depends on which third of the weld the defect lies in (top third, bottom third, or middle third). I dont recall what code this is, can some one please refresh my memory. I do remember that you could basically have a lot of defects in the middle third due to the low stress in that area, (neutral axis).
: : I believe what you may be referring to is ANSI/AWS D1.1 or its Canadian cousin CSA W59. For some of the techniques, different angle beams are specified for the top quarter, middle half and bottom quarter.

Product Spotlight

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window