where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Mapping surface defects with Laser Technology
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:27 Apr-06-2004
David delaRosa
Mapping surface defects with Laser Technology

Question: I am searching for companies preferably in the Northeast US that have the capability to "map" surface defects across a 113" printing roll. The roll has fine etching and has come in contact with an abrasive that has caused extremely fine score lines around the roll. I would like an output that would precisely document all score score locations and widths at a given moment and then remap a month from now to scientifically know if the defect rate has slowed to stopped.

04:43 Apr-08-2004
Richard Kazares
Re: Mapping surface defects with Laser Technology There are probably several ways to do this, we offer a UT (ultrasonic) solution with a portable scanner that can be brought to the roll - and with NON-CONTACT UT accuratly map the surface profile (and the sub-surface, if that is ever needed). We have done this for several applications including micro-meteor impact craters which are on the order of 10's of microns in diameter and depth.

I can e-mail you some photos of applications and equipment that can be used (based on my understanding of the accessability of the paper roll). - just e-mail me directly.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Question: I am searching for companies preferably in the Northeast US that have the capability to "map" surface defects across a 113" printing roll. The roll has fine etching and has come in contact with an abrasive that has caused extremely fine score lines around the roll. I would like an output that would precisely document all score score locations and widths at a given moment and then remapa month from now to scientifically know if the defect rate has slowed to stopped.
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:47 Apr-08-2004

Randy Plis

Sales, Consultant
AMDATA NDE Technology LLC,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Mapping surface defects with Laser Technology Hello David,

Depending upon the specifics of your application, the roll surface may be mapped out using either Ultrasonic or Eddy Current C-Scan imaging. The specifics needing to be further defined are:

- Roll material
- Quantify depth magnitude of "extremely fine score lines"
- Quantify required magnitude of "precision" of score locations and width

If C-Scan imaging is applicable to your needs, such an inspection service is available through Metals Testing Company. MTC is located in the Northeast US (specifically South Windsor, CT). Additional details about MTC can be found at www.mtc62.com

Best regards,
Randy Plis
ANDET & MTC

04:47 Apr-12-2004

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Mapping surface defects with Laser Technology Dear David,

Since you put it in your question, I think you were looking for laser holography. Another option could be optical photography, with some markers placed so that you have reference to the previous photographs.

Presumably a sort of surface treatment is being tried out to see its effectiveness in preventing further damage to the roll surface.

Some of the score lines may disappear and new ones may come up depending upon the wear and tear of the roll.

Just some ideas to help you out. I have no direct experience in the application.

: Question: I am searching for companies preferably in the Northeast US that have the capability to "map" surface defects across a 113" printing roll. The roll has fine etching and has come in contact with an abrasive that has caused extremely fine score lines around the roll. I would like an output that would precisely document all score score locations and widths at a given moment and then remap a month fromnow to scientifically know if the defect rate has slowed to stopped.

08:19 Jul-27-2004

Brent Zeller

Teacher, Inspector, R&D, Teacher
Acuren Scientific,
Canada,
Joined Jul 2004
Re: Mapping surface defects with Laser Technology Canspec in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada has just developed a laser product just like you describe. Intended application is for mapping corrosion on pipe but it sounds like it would work for you. Depending on the size of the scoring it might be worth checking out.

The contact person would be Paul Holloway (tel: (780) 440 2131), or get back to me and I can get you more info if you require.

: Question: I am searching for companies preferably in the Northeast US that have the capability to "map" surface defects across a 113" printing roll. The roll has fine etching and has come in contact with an abrasive that has caused extremely fine score lines around the roll. I would like an output that would precisely document all score score locations and widths at a given moment and then remap a month from now to scientifically know if the defect rate has slowed to stopped.

08:47 Jul-28-2004
Göran Vogt
Re: Mapping surface defects with Laser Technology I like to inform you about our laser system and C-scan imaging which we use for thread dimension control for corrosion as well as generell C-scan imaging of plates.
The laser (OPTIMESS) has a resolution of 0,02 - 0,1 mm depending on the range and distance to the part.
The lase can be mounted on a scanning frame which has to be placed on top of the surface which should be measured. Furthher information could be given with getting more details.
Beste regards

Göran Vogt
General Manager
MPV Meß- und Prüftechnik VOgt GmbH (www.mpv.de)
Vogt Werkstoffprüfsysteme GmbH (www.voggt-ndt.de)
: Question: I am searching for companies preferably in the Northeast US that have the capability to "map" surface defects across a 113" printing roll. The roll has fine etching and has come in contact with an abrasive that has caused extremely fine score lines around the roll. I would like an output that would precisely document all score score locations and widths at a given moment and then remap a month from now to scientifically know if the defect rate has slowed to stopped.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|