where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
schedule of NDT inspection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:48 Apr-12-2004
daniel iordache
schedule of NDT inspection

hello ,
i want, if anyone can help me to find out how to arrange the inspection's schedule - for gas plant and process area ??- according with....
what code ...?
section...?
my location has 30 years old.
thanks daniel

03:10 Apr-13-2004

N.Kuppusamy

Consultant, NDT Level-III Engineer
Advanced Inspection & Testing (S) Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Dec 2003
Re: schedule of NDT inspection Hi,

I recommend you carry out complete thickness measurement (e.g., all elbows, either side of all butt welds, every 2 meters interval, 100% normal probe scanning at randomely selected locations, etc.) to determine the internal surface condition and extensive visual inspection to evaluate the external condition of the pipeline.

Then find out the maximum external and internal wall thickness loss for each line from the inspection results. Then calculate the maximum possible loss of wall thickness:

Maximum wall thickness loss = Nominal thickness - (Internal metal loss + External metal loss)

Then determine corrosion rate per per by dividing it by the number of years in service.

i.e., Corrosion rate per year = Total wall loss/No. of Years in service.

Calculate the minimum design thickness required for that line using barlow's equation and add safety factor (if any).

i.e., minimum required thickness = design thickness+ safety factor.

If the remaining thickness is well beyond the minimum required thciness and more than yearly corrosion rate, then you can schedule periodic on-line inspection yearly. Also you can schedule bi-annually if the remaining thickness is more tha twice the corrosion rate+ design thickness. You can schedule the inspection every 6 moths if the remaining thickness is too low but still above the minimum required thickness.

Replace the line when it is equal to or less than minimum required thickness.

N.Kuppusamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: hello ,
: i want, if anyone can help me to find out how to arrange the inspection's schedule - for gas plant and process area ??- according with....
: what code ...?
: section...?
: my location has 30 years old.
: thanks daniel
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:36 Apr-13-2004

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: schedule of NDT inspection Complex question as there are so many variables. I suggest you consult the API Standards on in-service inspection of process plant API 510, API 570 and API 653.

These provide minimum interval guidance and an option to select Risk Based Inspection Assessent approaches to Interval Planning.

You should laso verify there are no local jurisdictional requirmeents you have to meet.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|