where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Welding Failures Historically related to Arc Strikes and or Microfractures
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Iris Inspection Services, Inc.
We are the world’s largest supplier of air cooler, boiler and exchanger tubing inspection services.

00:27 Apr-13-2004

James R. Johnson

NDT Inspector
International Engineering Group,
USA,
Joined Apr 2004
Welding Failures Historically related to Arc Strikes and or Microfractures

Hello to All,
I'm trying to find 1) Earliest (Historically as well) Recorded Welding Failures, 2) Any and all failures related to or initiated by Arc strikes and subsequent related Microfractures. I have attempted using over 37 search engines and typed in every permutation possible with glaringly little results unless I wish to spend L180 P for an English Publication on Welding Failure Catastrophes or some other book which would be fine but time is the issue it's running out. I don't need a lot of just specifically 2 or 3 examples each any help in this aera is much appreciated. I'm hoping to finish my student paper for Student Night at the 4-21 meeting of our ASM Chapter and the stone wall of literal search engines and Failure Analysis Businesses filling the Net Pages doesn't help.
Thanks,
J. R. Johnson

01:34 Apr-13-2004

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Welding Failures Historically related to Arc Strikes and or Microfractures A typical common failure as a result of Arc Strikes is development of Amine SCC in Carbon Steel Materials in Amine Service. Arc Strikes act as initiation. If you can find a copy look up the old API Guide To Refinery Inspection Chapter II.

Defects and Failures In Pressure Vessels & Piping - Helmut Thielsch 1965 references failures back to 1941. You could also try the major welding Institute TWI in UK Edison Welding Institute in USA.

00:32 Apr-16-2004

Daniel H. Rice

Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Welding Failures Historically related to Arc Strikes and or Microfractures ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello to All,
: I'm trying to find 1) Earliest (Historically as well) Recorded Welding Failures, 2) Any and all failures related to or initiated by Arc strikes and subsequent related Microfractures. I have attempted using over 37 search engines and typed in every permutation possible with glaringly little results unless I wish to spend L180 P for an English Publication on Welding Failure Catastrophes or some other book which would be fine but time is the issue it's running out. I don't need a lot of just specifically 2 or 3 examples each any help in this aera is much appreciated. I'm hoping to finish my student paper for Student Night at the 4-21 meeting of our ASM Chapter and the stone wall of literal search engines and Failure Analysis Businesses filling the Net Pages doesn't help.
: Thanks,
: J. R. Johnson
------------ End Original Message ------------

Look in the following places
Linclon handbook of arc welding (current edition)
Linde Second Edition of oxy-acetylene Handbook
also look for hot rolled armor plate, effects of SMAW arc strikes (same material). This might be a military document, for metalurgical data that is now declassifed and in the library of congress.
The US navy would have the oldest data and had instances in their welding saftey manuals.OSHA used to send flyers on these occurances in the 80's.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|