where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic Detection of Adhesive Bonds
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:08 Apr-15-2004

John Wagner

Engineering
Tenneco Automotive,
USA,
Joined Apr 2004
Ultrasonic Detection of Adhesive Bonds

The product in question is typified by a torus of rubber bonded between two steel cylinders. Has there been any success in detecting disbonds in this type of construct?

00:03 Apr-16-2004
Daniel H. Rice
Re: Ultrasonic Detection of Adhesive Bonds ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: The product in question is typified by a torus of rubber bonded between two steel cylinders. Has there been any success in detecting disbonds in this type of construct?
------------ End Original Message ------------
I typed an earlyer message but, got cut off by the demand on the server on my end. This may be a duplicate.
If used properly and the limitations of ultrasonic inspection are observed. You can either image the bond using C-scan or automate using A-scan the inspection of sealers used in automotive applications and some of the rubber components.
I worked on the Henry Ford Technology Award team for 2000 At vehicle ops for North America.
The only company ready to do this is IRT Scan Master A sponser of this Fourm.
They have the only patented high out put transducer that is necessary to perform the inspection of the material in question.
If you need assistance on a full or part time basis I am available to reproduce our qualification method for this inspection.

08:29 Apr-16-2004

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic Detection of Adhesive Bonds ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: The product in question is typified by a torus of rubber bonded between two steel cylinders. Has there been any success in detecting disbonds in this type of construct?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Dear John,

We have made some simple trials using Quasar Resonant Inspection (QRI) on some "Vibration Dampers", which in effect are two plates of steel with a rubber block bonded between them, or rather similar to what you describe.

These initial tests suggested that the technology could detect disbonds as well as some other problems in the manufacture.
However, the customer then had a severe reduction in budget, so was unable to pursue the technology further.
These tests were made here in the United Kingdom, but Quasar International is based in Albuquerque, NM.

I suggest you contact the office over there on (505) 247 9660.

Regards,

Godfrey Hands

00:22 Apr-19-2004

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Ultrasonic Detection of Adhesive Bonds We have successfully done work with very thick metal to rubber composites using Acousto-Ultrasound. Try talking to Physical Acoustics princeton new jersey its their technology we use.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|