where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Production of identical cracks
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TD NDE
TD NDE. Automated Custom Ultrasonic Robotic and software solutions. Effective, Simple and Flexible solutions to meet your UT needs.

09:32 Apr-25-2004

N.Kuppusamy

Consultant, NDT Level-III Engineer
Advanced Inspection & Testing (S) Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Dec 2003
Production of identical cracks

Hi Friends,

Is there any established modern technology to produce a natural crack of exact width, length, depth and identical crack surface profile. What is the latest trend in this area?

I am interested to konw this in order to establish measurement of uncertainty for NDT methods. Any company producing these on commercial basis? I am interested to buy some identically cracked test pieces to use for my study.

Regards,

N.Kuppusamy

01:07 Apr-26-2004

William Blum

Consultant, Training, Level III Services
NDT Consulting Group Inc.,
USA,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: Production of identical cracks NDT-CGI reps Flawtech flaw samples. You can visit them at www.flawtech.com. They provide samples to all industries.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi Friends,
: Is there any established modern technology to produce a natural crack of exact width, length, depth and identical crack surface profile. What is the latest trend in this area?
: I am interested to konw this in order to establish measurement of uncertainty for NDT methods. Any company producing these on commercial basis? I am interested to buy some identically cracked test pieces to use for my study.
: Regards,
: N.Kuppusamy
------------ End Original Message ------------

05:09 Apr-26-2004

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Production of identical cracks Sonaspection (www.sonaspection.com) have very good technology for producing and embedding natural cracks.

Their repeatability is pretty good, certainly there are other companies that have since used similar methods, but they have the best reputation.

However, natural cracks can never be as reproducable as artificial defects - cracking is never a precise process. If you need several 'exactly identical' test pieces you have to used machined flaws. If you want 'natural cracks' you have to accept some variation.

Joe

: Is there any established modern technology to produce a natural crack of exact width, length, depth and identical crack surface profile. What is the latest trend in this area?
: I am interested to konw this in order to establish measurement of uncertainty for NDT methods. Any company producing these on commercial basis? I am interested to buy some identically cracked test pieces to use for my study.

05:20 Apr-26-2004
Martin Peacock
Re: Production of identical cracks We at Sonaspection International Limited have been manufacturing cracks of a known size in NDE training and certification specimens for over 20 years. Please visit our website www.sonaspection.com

: NDT-CGI reps Flawtech flaw samples. You can visit them at www.flawtech.com. They provide samples to all industries.
: : Hi Friends,
: : Is there any established modern technology to produce a natural crack of exact width, length, depth and identical crack surface profile. What is the latest trend in this area?
: : I am interested to konw this in order to establish measurement of uncertainty for NDT methods. Any company producing these on commercial basis? I am interested to buy some identically cracked test pieces to use for my study.
: : Regards,
: : N.Kuppusamy

09:43 Apr-27-2004
Aaron Pherigo
Re: Production of identical cracks Mr. Kuppusamy,

FlawTech has been providing high quality, repeatable flaws for many years. We'd like to have an opportunity to discuss your project. Visit our website at www.flawtech.com or call (704) 455-1322.

Aaron Pherigo

00:15 May-18-2004
Mika Kemppainen
Re: Production of identical cracks Dear N.Kuppusamy,

One of the latest development in this field is the Trueflaw technique. With this technique realistic artificial flaws are produced in situ, practically to all size, shape and weight of components. With this technique only the intended flaw is produced without causing any additional disturbancies in the component. Please, visit our homepage (www.trueflaw.com) or contact directly for more information.
Best regards,
Mika Kemppainen

09:54 May-01-2006
bontril
bontril

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|