where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT method selection on SS Vessels
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.

01:33 May-28-2004

Prasad

Director, NDT Consultant
Energy Workforce Group of Companies,
Malaysia,
Joined Aug 2003
NDT method selection on SS Vessels

Dear All,

Could you all please advise me suitable NDT methods and their detailed specifications for the surface and near surface crack detection of pressure vessels made of made of SS304L and SS316L materials and operating at 65-80 deg. C temperature range

Thanks,

Prasad

04:58 May-31-2004
D.Simon Amallraja
Re: NDT method selection on SS Vessels ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear All,
: Could you all please advise me suitable NDT methods and their detailed specifications for the surface and near surface crack detection of pressure vessels made of made of SS304L and SS316L materials and operating at 65-80 deg. C temperature range
: Thanks,
: Prasad
------------ End Original Message ------------

Dear Mr. Prasad,

Give your complete postal address with telephone nos, so we can contact you and discuss with your requirement. We can also suggest you suitable equipment and guide you.

D.Simon Amallraja.
Asst.Manager -NDT,
Mahindra Intertrade Ltd,
1-7-1,Parklane, Secunderabad - 500003.
Ph: 0 98480 43309.

08:23 Jun-01-2004

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDT method selection on SS Vessels ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear All,
: Could you all please advise me suitable NDT methods and their detailed specifications for the surface and near surface crack detection of pressure vessels made of made of SS304L and SS316L materials and operating at 65-80 deg. C temperature range
: Thanks,
: Prasad
Dear Prasad,
Perhaps you could provide some more details for the NDT community out there.
What do you mean by "Near Surface".
What do you want to inspect? Welds and H.A.Z. only or entire vessel?
I assume that the vessel will be at normal temperature and access inside when you want to inspect. Can you please confirm. Also that any necessary insulation will be removed prior to inspection.

Regards,

Godfrey Hands

03:56 Jun-02-2004

R J Chaudhari

Director,
CALTECH ENGINEERING SERVICES,
India,
Joined Mar 2003
NDT method selection on SS Vessels Dear Prasad,
Best NDT Method will be Field Metallography. You can confirm not only cracks but also microstructure of pressure vessel without distroying material. You can also get photographs and replicas for your records and expert evaluations, decisions.

Regards,

R J Chaudhari

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Dear All,
: : Could you all please advise me suitable NDT methods and their detailed specifications for the surface and near surface crack detection of pressure vessels made of made of SS304L and SS316L materials and operating at 65-80 deg. C temperature range
: : Thanks,
: : Prasad
: Dear Prasad,
: Perhaps you could provide some more details for the NDT community out there.
: What do you mean by "Near Surface".
: What do you want to inspect? Welds and H.A.Z. only or entire vessel?
: I assume that the vessel will be at normal temperature and access inside when you want to inspect. Can you please confirm. Also that any necessary insulation will be removed prior to inspection.
: Regards,
: Godfrey Hands

01:59 Jun-02-2004

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: NDT method selection on SS Vessels Prasad,

One of the best "NDT" methods for SS vessels is using ID and OD Creeping Waves. These waves travel along the ID and OD surfaces (longitudinal waves velocities) to detect flaws which are perpendicular to the surfaces.

I have demonstrated detection of ID and OD cracks as small as 0.001 inches in depth.

One concern is the type of SS material. What is the grain size. When the grain size approaches "1" or "O" in size Creeping waves generation on the ID surface may not be generated. What is the thickness?

Another consideration is the carbon content and what type of crack you might be looking for.

For a explanation of ID and OD Creeping Waves go to the publications section of ndt.net and see review The Advanced Ultraosnic Sizing Handbook I wrote.

Sincerely,

J. Mark Davis

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Prasad,
: Best NDT Method will be Field Metallography. You can confirm not only cracks but also microstructure of pressure vessel without distroying material. You can also get photographs and replicas for your records and expert evaluations, decisions.
: Regards,
: R J Chaudhari
:
: : : Dear All,
: : : Could you all please advise me suitable NDT methods and their detailed specifications for the surface and near surface crack detection of pressure vessels made of made of SS304L and SS316L materials and operating at 65-80 deg. C temperature range
: : : Thanks,
: : : Prasad
: : Dear Prasad,
: : Perhaps you could provide some more details for the NDT community out there.
: : What do you mean by "Near Surface".
: : What do you want to inspect? Welds and H.A.Z. only or entire vessel?
: : I assume that the vessel will be at normal temperature and access inside when you want to inspect. Can you please confirm. Also that any necessary insulation will be removed prior to inspection.
: : Regards,
: : Godfrey Hands

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|