where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
phased Array transducer applications?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:38 Jul-21-2004
Zahra
phased Array transducer applications?

i am interested in getting some information regarding the application of phased array transducers in NDT; more specifically the type of the materials that can be inspected by this group of transducers, the maximum depth of penetration and thickness measurement, the improvement of SNR by these systems and...

i appreciate any information in advance

03:00 Jul-22-2004

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: phased Array transducer applications? Zahra:
Phased array probes can be used essentially just as if it was a regular single element unit...but far more adaptable to applications. Selecting a large annular array you can extend a beam to great depth and also maintain good resolution near the test surface.
Using a matrix array you can achive beam steering.
Signal to noise ratio is generally better for PA probes compared to single element because for the same voltage applied the constructive interference that builds the phased wavefront results in twice the amplitude particle displacement.
You must still contend with the normal limitations that ultrasound is subject to with regards to scatter and attenuation.

Ed
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: i am interested in getting some information regarding the application of phased array transducers in NDT; more specifically the type of the materials that can be inspected by this group of transducers, the maximum depth of penetration and thickness measurement, the improvement of SNR by these systems and...
: i appreciate any information in advance
------------ End Original Message ------------

09:11 Aug-03-2004
Wolfgang Bisle
Re: phased Array transducer applications? There is a simple solution for your question:
Look to the sites of manufacturers of array testing equipment.

A nice selection of application reports you will find on RD-Tech's homepage http://www.rd-tech.com/
But also GE-IT (US, including Krautkramer), Technology Design (UK),Multi 2000 (M2M, France), Harfang (Can) show applications...

The portable units like the Omniscan will change the field of application to nearly everywhere. Not everwhere you need the phased array , sometimes the array configuration already is suitable. But having both makes inspection easy.

Think of new materials like Fiber Metall Laminates, composites, but also monolithic metallic structures like rails, landing gears, and especially to contral joinings like electron beam welds, laser beam welds, friction stir welds ....

Just in aeronautics the array inspection technology will soon be the standard. Outrunning sometimes so high sophisticated technologies like thermography and shearography because of small equipment, easy and conventional (UT) training of personal (you need no new certificate)...and lot of other advantages.

so everywhere you can use single element UT also Array UT is possible and you will earn a lot of móre clarity while inspecting complex structures.

02:12 Sep-24-2004
adewale
transducers andits place in instrumentation,control and automation ------t-- Start Original Message :
hi zahra, ijust want to know more about the place of transducers in measurement control and automation.i'm an electrical engineering student.
hope to hear from you soon.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|