where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Don
Don
08:02 Jul-21-2004
Re: Ultrasonic beam profiles for angle probes in steel

Thanks to everybody for the comments on my question. Yes indead my main aim it to calculate beam spreads for angle probes prior ordering any specific probes for a job. If I can reasonably accurately calculate the 6dB angles, I can predict my inspection coverage and thus design an optimum technique.
For example if I am required to detect small smooth planar flaws orientated at between 50 and 80 degrees of tilt (from the vertical), I can use beams of 15, 25 & 35 degrees if I have probes with a 6dB beam spread of +-5 degrees from nominal. This will give complete coverage of all expected defects within 5 degrees of normal, and a good response without relying on tip diffracted signals.

The difficult thing is the beams are not symetric after passing through the wedge, and crystals can be circular (or half moon), rectangular, or twins with a roof angle (or toe-in to those in the motor trade).

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anybody know the best way to estimate 6db and20dB beam edges for angle probes. I have tried 2 different methods, and do not know which is best.
: 1)calculate divergence angles in wedge material, and then using snells law calculate new refracted angles in steel test material
: 2)calculate "equivalent crystal size" and use this to calculate divergence angles in steel test material.
: I can email excel sheet if interested in calcs
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Alpha Pro Digital Radiography System

The Alpha Pro digital X-ray system is the ideal system for your NDT \r\nneeds, as it offers amazin
g 16 bit images which enable the highest \r\nlevel of detection and identification of hairline cracks. While weighing only 3kg (6.6lbs), this panel has the largest imaging area: 35 X 43 cm (14X17 in).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window