where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Don
Don
08:02 Jul-21-2004
Re: Ultrasonic beam profiles for angle probes in steel

Thanks to everybody for the comments on my question. Yes indead my main aim it to calculate beam spreads for angle probes prior ordering any specific probes for a job. If I can reasonably accurately calculate the 6dB angles, I can predict my inspection coverage and thus design an optimum technique.
For example if I am required to detect small smooth planar flaws orientated at between 50 and 80 degrees of tilt (from the vertical), I can use beams of 15, 25 & 35 degrees if I have probes with a 6dB beam spread of +-5 degrees from nominal. This will give complete coverage of all expected defects within 5 degrees of normal, and a good response without relying on tip diffracted signals.

The difficult thing is the beams are not symetric after passing through the wedge, and crystals can be circular (or half moon), rectangular, or twins with a roof angle (or toe-in to those in the motor trade).

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anybody know the best way to estimate 6db and20dB beam edges for angle probes. I have tried 2 different methods, and do not know which is best.
: 1)calculate divergence angles in wedge material, and then using snells law calculate new refracted angles in steel test material
: 2)calculate "equivalent crystal size" and use this to calculate divergence angles in steel test material.
: I can email excel sheet if interested in calcs
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Echomac® PA Rail Wheel Tester

MAC introduces two versions of Rail Wheel Testers using ECHOMAC® PA platform based on customer requ
irements.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window