where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Don
Don
08:02 Jul-21-2004
Re: Ultrasonic beam profiles for angle probes in steel

Thanks to everybody for the comments on my question. Yes indead my main aim it to calculate beam spreads for angle probes prior ordering any specific probes for a job. If I can reasonably accurately calculate the 6dB angles, I can predict my inspection coverage and thus design an optimum technique.
For example if I am required to detect small smooth planar flaws orientated at between 50 and 80 degrees of tilt (from the vertical), I can use beams of 15, 25 & 35 degrees if I have probes with a 6dB beam spread of +-5 degrees from nominal. This will give complete coverage of all expected defects within 5 degrees of normal, and a good response without relying on tip diffracted signals.

The difficult thing is the beams are not symetric after passing through the wedge, and crystals can be circular (or half moon), rectangular, or twins with a roof angle (or toe-in to those in the motor trade).

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anybody know the best way to estimate 6db and20dB beam edges for angle probes. I have tried 2 different methods, and do not know which is best.
: 1)calculate divergence angles in wedge material, and then using snells law calculate new refracted angles in steel test material
: 2)calculate "equivalent crystal size" and use this to calculate divergence angles in steel test material.
: I can email excel sheet if interested in calcs
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Ceram 35P (Panoramic)

The Ceram 35P is the panoramic brand new portable generators designed by Balteau NDT and is offeri
ng no less than 300kV, 5mA and 100% duty cycle for an incredible image contrast even at full power. It will will surely become a reference as it can be classified as a high power portable unit and can be operated with our CF2000 control unit but also with our well known Hand-X Wireless Remote Control.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s