where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

NOVO DR
develops and manufactures cutting edge Portable Digital Radiography X-ray Inspection Systems.

Technical Discussions
David Harvey
David Harvey
06:57 Jul-28-2004
UT of Bimetallic Tubing

Does anyone have any recommendations for performing UT of metallurgically bonded bimetallic tubing, where the two layers have differing sound velocities? I need to perform the normal OD and ID defect tests, as well as verify the bond quality.

I see the bond quality as being really interesting, since there should be a good reflection from the interface, so distinguishing from the reflection due to the impedance difference and that due to a lack of bond could be challenging.

I'm also puzzled by handling the angle beam testing, since the sound beam will altered at the interface, going and coming.

Suggestions as to where to go for information are appreciated!

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
03:04 Jul-28-2004
Re: UT of Bimetallic Tubing
What are the materials.

What is the thickness of the tubing?

Using refracted Longitudinal Waves and Creeping Waves, you should be able to handle the interface problems.

Establish a TOF (Sound Path) and depth calibration using ID and OD notches.

J. Mark Davis

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone have any recommendations for performing UT of metallurgically bonded bimetallic tubing, where the two layers have differing sound velocities? I need to perform the normal OD and ID defect tests, as well as verify the bond quality.
: I see the bond quality as being really interesting, since there should be a good reflection from the interface, so distinguishing from the reflection due to the impedance difference and that due to a lack of bond could be challenging.
: I'm also puzzled by handling the angle beam testing, since the sound beam will altered at the interface, going and coming.
: Suggestions as to where to go for information are appreciated!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Eric chen
Engineering,
GE Aviation, China, Joined Nov 2002, 7

Eric chen

Engineering,
GE Aviation,
China,
Joined Nov 2002
01:50 Aug-02-2004
Re: UT of Bimetallic Tubing
David

You can contact GE Inspection Technologies Application center to find out the solution for that. More detail visit www.GeinspectionTechnologies.com

Regards

Eric

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone have any recommendations for performing UT of metallurgically bonded bimetallic tubing, where the two layers have differing sound velocities? I need to perform the normal OD and ID defect tests, as well as verify the bond quality.
: I see the bond quality as being really interesting, since there should be a good reflection from the interface, so distinguishing from the reflection due to the impedance difference and that due to a lack of bond could be challenging.
: I'm also puzzled by handling the angle beam testing, since the sound beam will altered at the interface, going and coming.
: Suggestions as to where to go for information are appreciated!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

I&T Nardoni

NDT, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW METHODOLOGY, TRAINING CENTER I&T NARDON INSTITUTE was idiated
in 1988 by Giuseppe Nardoni, now president and owner of the company, based on his multi-annual and international experience in the field of NDT.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window