where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT of Bimetallic Tubing
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Mammon Technologies LLP
1-Stop Shop for all your NDT Needs. Radiography, GPR, Thermography and acoustic devices. We sell worldwide. We train worldwide. We support worldwide.

06:57 Jul-28-2004
David Harvey
UT of Bimetallic Tubing

Does anyone have any recommendations for performing UT of metallurgically bonded bimetallic tubing, where the two layers have differing sound velocities? I need to perform the normal OD and ID defect tests, as well as verify the bond quality.

I see the bond quality as being really interesting, since there should be a good reflection from the interface, so distinguishing from the reflection due to the impedance difference and that due to a lack of bond could be challenging.

I'm also puzzled by handling the angle beam testing, since the sound beam will altered at the interface, going and coming.

Suggestions as to where to go for information are appreciated!

03:04 Jul-28-2004

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: UT of Bimetallic Tubing What are the materials.

What is the thickness of the tubing?

Using refracted Longitudinal Waves and Creeping Waves, you should be able to handle the interface problems.

Establish a TOF (Sound Path) and depth calibration using ID and OD notches.

J. Mark Davis

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone have any recommendations for performing UT of metallurgically bonded bimetallic tubing, where the two layers have differing sound velocities? I need to perform the normal OD and ID defect tests, as well as verify the bond quality.
: I see the bond quality as being really interesting, since there should be a good reflection from the interface, so distinguishing from the reflection due to the impedance difference and that due to a lack of bond could be challenging.
: I'm also puzzled by handling the angle beam testing, since the sound beam will altered at the interface, going and coming.
: Suggestions as to where to go for information are appreciated!
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:50 Aug-02-2004

Eric chen

Engineering,
GE Aviation,
China,
Joined Nov 2002
Re: UT of Bimetallic Tubing David

You can contact GE Inspection Technologies Application center to find out the solution for that. More detail visit www.GeinspectionTechnologies.com

Regards

Eric

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone have any recommendations for performing UT of metallurgically bonded bimetallic tubing, where the two layers have differing sound velocities? I need to perform the normal OD and ID defect tests, as well as verify the bond quality.
: I see the bond quality as being really interesting, since there should be a good reflection from the interface, so distinguishing from the reflection due to the impedance difference and that due to a lack of bond could be challenging.
: I'm also puzzled by handling the angle beam testing, since the sound beam will altered at the interface, going and coming.
: Suggestions as to where to go for information are appreciated!
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|