where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

DASEL SISTEMAS
Our Phased Array equipments, based on SITAU Technology, are among the PAS highest performance in the market.

Technical Discussions
David Harvey
David Harvey
06:57 Jul-28-2004
UT of Bimetallic Tubing

Does anyone have any recommendations for performing UT of metallurgically bonded bimetallic tubing, where the two layers have differing sound velocities? I need to perform the normal OD and ID defect tests, as well as verify the bond quality.

I see the bond quality as being really interesting, since there should be a good reflection from the interface, so distinguishing from the reflection due to the impedance difference and that due to a lack of bond could be challenging.

I'm also puzzled by handling the angle beam testing, since the sound beam will altered at the interface, going and coming.

Suggestions as to where to go for information are appreciated!

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
03:04 Jul-28-2004
Re: UT of Bimetallic Tubing
What are the materials.

What is the thickness of the tubing?

Using refracted Longitudinal Waves and Creeping Waves, you should be able to handle the interface problems.

Establish a TOF (Sound Path) and depth calibration using ID and OD notches.

J. Mark Davis

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone have any recommendations for performing UT of metallurgically bonded bimetallic tubing, where the two layers have differing sound velocities? I need to perform the normal OD and ID defect tests, as well as verify the bond quality.
: I see the bond quality as being really interesting, since there should be a good reflection from the interface, so distinguishing from the reflection due to the impedance difference and that due to a lack of bond could be challenging.
: I'm also puzzled by handling the angle beam testing, since the sound beam will altered at the interface, going and coming.
: Suggestions as to where to go for information are appreciated!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Eric chen
Engineering,
GE Aviation, China, Joined Nov 2002, 7

Eric chen

Engineering,
GE Aviation,
China,
Joined Nov 2002
01:50 Aug-02-2004
Re: UT of Bimetallic Tubing
David

You can contact GE Inspection Technologies Application center to find out the solution for that. More detail visit www.GeinspectionTechnologies.com

Regards

Eric

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone have any recommendations for performing UT of metallurgically bonded bimetallic tubing, where the two layers have differing sound velocities? I need to perform the normal OD and ID defect tests, as well as verify the bond quality.
: I see the bond quality as being really interesting, since there should be a good reflection from the interface, so distinguishing from the reflection due to the impedance difference and that due to a lack of bond could be challenging.
: I'm also puzzled by handling the angle beam testing, since the sound beam will altered at the interface, going and coming.
: Suggestions as to where to go for information are appreciated!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Webinar: Improving Heat Exchanger Inspection Analysis

Zetec will host a webinar on automated analysis software for more effective heat exchanger inspectio
ns in power generation, oil & gas, pharmaceutical manufacturing & other applications. Register now. We will demonstrate how to reduce inefficiencies from legacy acquisition techniques so analysts can focus on identifying signals of interest, evaluating them & making confident decisions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window