where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
PT Type 1 or Type 2 reference block
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:14 Aug-02-2004

John Traynor

Engineering
mitsui babcock,
United Kingdom,
Joined May 2006
PT Type 1 or Type 2 reference block

Hi,

EN ISO 3452-3:1998 describes two types of reference blocks:
-Type 1 reference blocks are used to determine the sensitivity levels of both fluorescent and colour contrast penetrant families;
-type 2 reference blocks are used for routine assessment of the performance of both fluorescent and colour contrast penetrant facilities and part-used containers.
It also states that the reference blocks are used in the same conditions as the pieces to be tested according to EN 571-1.

Q1. Does this therefore mean that whenever components say for example having different surface conditions are presented for PT, then a new reference block needs to be manufactured?

Q2. The PT systems I use as designated by EN 571-1 are a) EN571-IICd - Colour contrast solvent removable system b) EN571-ICd - Fluorescent penetrant solvent removable system. Both are of the aerosol applied type. How is the sensitivity of such systems carried out, according to EN 571-1 Type 1 reference block should be used?

Q3.The sensitivity check seems pretty straight forward with PT EN571 - IICd using type 1 block but appears to be a bit more complicated when dealing with the fluorescent type PT. I'm considering using the Type 2 reference block which by all accounts is equivalent to the TAM Panel as means of checking sensitivity. But as EN 571-1 requires the use of Type 1 block to designate the sensitivity level for a specific product family is there a way round this using the TAM Panel?

Regards,
John.

09:53 Sep-29-2004
John Traynor
Re: PT Type 1 or Type 2 reference block Having posted the query below two months ago, and as yet had no feedback, I would like to ask if anyone has any information regards my query on Penetrant Testing reference blocks. Thanks in anticipation.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi,
: EN ISO 3452-3:1998 describes two types of reference blocks:
: -Type 1 reference blocks are used to determine the sensitivity levels of both fluorescent and colour contrast penetrant families;
: -type 2 reference blocks are used for routine assessment of the performance of both fluorescent and colour contrast penetrant facilities and part-used containers.
: It also states that the reference blocks are used in the same conditions as the pieces to be tested according to EN 571-1.
: Q1. Does this therefore mean that whenever components say for example having different surface conditions are presented for PT, then a new reference block needs to be manufactured?
: Q2. The PT systems I use as designated by EN 571-1 are a) EN571-IICd - Colour contrast solvent removable system b) EN571-ICd - Fluorescent penetrant solvent removable system. Both are of the aerosol applied type. How is the sensitivity of such systems carried out, according to EN 571-1 Type 1 reference block should be used?
: Q3.The sensitivity check seems pretty straight forward with PT EN571 - IICd using type 1 block but appears to be a bit more complicated when dealing with the fluorescent type PT. I'm considering using the Type 2 reference block which by all accounts is equivalent to the TAM Panel as means of checking sensitivity. But as EN 571-1 requires the use of Type 1 block to designate the sensitivity level for a specific product family is there a way round this using the TAM Panel?
: Regards,
: John.
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|