where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Penetrant Liquid Test Personel Protection Mask
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Vidisco Ltd.
Vidisco Ltd. is the leading designer and manufacturer of state-of-the-art Digital Radiography systems.

09:41 Mar-25-1999
Jose Fabiao
Penetrant Liquid Test Personel Protection Mask

I'm trying to get information about the type of filter I should use whem performing PLT, since I'd don't find a way to known the chemical composition of the products!!!

01:18 Mar-26-1999
Manuel Haces
Re: Penetrant Liquid Test Personel Protection Mask : I'm trying to get information about the type of filter I should use whem performing PLT, since I'd don't find a way to known the chemical composition of the products!!!
What it gives good result for me, is to treat the
situation as equal as working in a closed vessel, which
contanins pretoleum destilates or gasoline or similar.
Depending in the amount of air changing per time, probably
it will be necessary to use a mask conected to an air
line or compressor. Something similar are used by the
welders. Perhapps you can use extractors as a help in
changing the air. Normally we used both methods, depending
in the facilities or where are we inspecting.

07:33 Mar-26-1999
Norm Woodward
Re: Penetrant Liquid Test Personel Protection Mask : I'm trying to get information about the type of filter I should use whem performing PLT, since I'd don't find a way to known the chemical composition of the products!!!

I believe that at least in the US, every chemical product used in industry is required to a Product Safety Data Sheet that lists every hazardous chemical, necessary precautions and equipment, etc.

If you are in the US, check this out with personnel. If the product is made, or used, in the US, they should be able to provide you with the info easily enough. If neither, you have a problem.

08:42 Mar-26-1999
Jose Fabiao
Penetrant Liquid Test Personel Protection Mask Again I thank the answers, but my problem is that I don't known the composition of the products used to perform the test, since the thank inside of which we make this tests are clean and with an O2 percentage OK.
Since I have O2 enought, what filter shoud I use in my mask stand alone type

09:50 Mar-26-1999
John Rutter
When in doubt - organic vapor Generally, a filter cartidge for organic vapor will do the trick. Since the main question is the composition of the penetrant material itself, you should not have to worry about acid gas, fluoride, formaldehyde, dust/mist, etc.

There are also combination filters available that cover multiple exposure risks.

Get a good quality, and most importantly, a good fitting rubber or silicone respirator and add the appropriate filters for the job at hand. Also - ALWAYS throw away organic vapor/mist filters after each job, since there is not way to tell when they are used up.

Industrial safety supply has a web site at www.indlsafety.com I have never seen it, but they carry lots of respirators anf filters in their print catalog.

02:53 Mar-31-1999
Norm Woodward

If anyone is using a chemical which may be hazardous, but cannot find a materials safety data sheet for it, check out http://msds.pdc.cornell.edu/issearch/msdssrch.htm

Just search by name or part number, like ZP-9F, but not too much info, such as the manufacturer, because that seems to confuse the search mechanism.

Also, if you wish to identify the actual chemicals in the product, rather than just their properties, check out the older files. Apparently the newer sheets keep more information "confidential." 8^p

Hope this helps.

Norm

03:45 Mar-31-1999
David Harvey
Re: Penetrant Liquid Test Personel Protection Mask : : I'm trying to get information about the type of filter I should use whem performing PLT, since I'd don't find a way to known the chemical composition of the products!!!

I would humbly recommend great care in your approach, since with PT in an enclosed area particulates are not the real worry - oxygen (for breathing)and vapors (to stop your breathing and to be flammable) are the components that I would be concerned with. In our facilities we use an air exchange system, sometimes with supplemental breathing air to the inspector. Simply being in an enclosed tank can be extremely hazardous, not to mention spraying aerosols of flammable liquids (during development if you use solvent-suspended developers).

06:50 Apr-01-1999
Norm Woodward
Re: Penetrant Liquid Test Personel Protection Mask : : I'm trying to get information about the type of filter I should use whem performing PLT, since I'd don't find a way to known the chemical composition of the products!!!

: If anyone is using a chemical which may be hazardous, but cannot find a materials safety data sheet for it, check out http://msds.pdc.cornell.edu/issearch/msdssrch.htm

: Just search by name or part number, like ZP-9F, but not too much info, such as the manufacturer, because that seems to confuse the search mechanism.

: Also, if you wish to identify the actual chemicals in the product, rather than just their properties, check out the older files. Apparently the newer sheets keep more information "confidential." 8^p

: Hope this helps.

: Norm

Just as a follow-up, I have found another site which has hazardous materials data which may be more "user friendly": http://siri.org/msds/.

I am not trying to encourage "risky behavior" (Jose has already posted that he has plenty of air), but just trying to help him and others to access useful information concerning toxicity, flamability, etc, of materials they may be exposed to.

Norm

03:38 Apr-27-1999
Brian Younce
-------------

(NDTnet received the message below at 25 Mar 1999 by error.)

Jose,
I do not know the exact answer to your question, however if you could fax a
copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the penetrant materials
that you are using to a manufacturer of protection masks, they can probably
fix you right up.  A good place to look for manufacturers of protective
masks is on the Thomas Register web site www.thomasregister.com.  I hope
I've helped.
Regards,
Brian

02:31 Mar-27-2001
fatih
Re: Penetrant Liquid Test Personel Protection Mask hi

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|