where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic interference, acoustic noise
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Teletest
Teletest Focus+ was the first system to use long-range guided wave ultrasonic testing to detect corrosion in pipelines.

07:18 Aug-12-2004
Kwok
Ultrasonic interference, acoustic noise

Are there any publication, to describe a method to eliminate or minimise an unwanted acoutic signal (i.e. Lamb) while maintaining an useful signal (i.e. shear or longitudinal)?

09:30 Aug-13-2004
Balachander L
Re: Ultrasonic interference, acoustic noise ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Are there any publication, to describe a method to eliminate or minimise an unwanted acoutic signal (i.e. Lamb) while maintaining an useful signal (i.e. shear or longitudinal)?
------------ End Original Message ------------

What kind of structure are you interested in? In general, Lamb modes are generated only if the lateral dimension is comparable to the wavelength of the wave propagating. Is this a spot measurement or are you pulsing between sensors separated by a distance? If its the latter, and you want pure longitudinal or shear waves in such a structure, you need to control your phase velocity (and make sure you are sensitive to high Vp, meaning low Vg... possibly even contact transducers, although source influence effects will have to be looked at) by varying wedge angle etc. You basically get through-thickness resonances, which you can then easily detect by frequency content analysis. Further processing for appropriate signal analysis, of course, is by simple bandpass filtering, ensuring temporal selectivity of received modes. It depends on your test situation.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|