where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Abdulla
Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY, Libya, Joined Jun 2004, 7

Abdulla

Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY,
Libya,
Joined Jun 2004
07:28 Aug-23-2004
HIC

I am looking for any body experience as to HIC NDT procedure specially when the decession should be taken to replace the equipment if HIC has been detectd.

thank you

Mike Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Mike Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
06:40 Aug-24-2004
Re: HIC
ToFD will locate and size the HIC then after that an engineer familiar with API-579 Fitness for Service guidelines can make an assessment and a remaining life evaluation.

Regards

Mike

----------- Start Original Message -----------
:
: I am looking for any body experience as to HIC NDT procedure specially when the decession should be taken to replace the equipment if HIC has been detectd.
:
: thank you
------------ End Original Message ------------

John O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 278

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
01:08 Aug-25-2004
I am not sure I agree with Mikes recommendation on using TOFD in HIS sizing. True it may detect it quickly and accurately but I think you would be better sizing with Pulse Echon I suggest you consult the NACE Document of assessment of pressure equipment damaged by HIC.

Mikes comment that once the flaws are accurately sized you can employ an engineer experienced in FFS principles such as API RP 579 is very accurate. Be careful HIC and SOHIC was not dealt with in the first edition of RP 579 in a clear manner. You will have to consider whether you are looking at a blister or through wall cracking hence the emphasis on an 'experienced engineer'.

Mike Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Mike Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
05:04 Aug-26-2004
G'Day John

Could you tell me the NACE reference, I might get it for a bit of light reading. ToFD gets asked for a lot for this application in the middle east I thought it was based upon a DNV specification but now looking back through information it appears to be a BS standard.

Regards

Mike

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am not sure I agree with Mikes recommendation on using TOFD in HIS sizing. True it may detect it quickly and accurately but I think you would be better sizing with Pulse Echon I suggest you consult the NACE Document of assessment of pressure equipment damaged by HIC.
: Mikes comment that once the flaws are accurately sized you can employ an engineer experienced in FFS principles such as API RP 579 is very accurate. Be careful HIC and SOHIC was not dealt with in the first edition of RP 579 in a clear manner. You will have to consider whether you are looking at a blister or through wall cracking hence the emphasis on an 'experienced engineer'.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window