where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Abdulla
Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY, Libya, Joined Jun 2004, 7

Abdulla

Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY,
Libya,
Joined Jun 2004
07:28 Aug-23-2004
HIC

I am looking for any body experience as to HIC NDT procedure specially when the decession should be taken to replace the equipment if HIC has been detectd.

thank you

Mike Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 141

Mike Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
06:40 Aug-24-2004
Re: HIC
ToFD will locate and size the HIC then after that an engineer familiar with API-579 Fitness for Service guidelines can make an assessment and a remaining life evaluation.

Regards

Mike

----------- Start Original Message -----------
:
: I am looking for any body experience as to HIC NDT procedure specially when the decession should be taken to replace the equipment if HIC has been detectd.
:
: thank you
------------ End Original Message ------------

John O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 280

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
01:08 Aug-25-2004
I am not sure I agree with Mikes recommendation on using TOFD in HIS sizing. True it may detect it quickly and accurately but I think you would be better sizing with Pulse Echon I suggest you consult the NACE Document of assessment of pressure equipment damaged by HIC.

Mikes comment that once the flaws are accurately sized you can employ an engineer experienced in FFS principles such as API RP 579 is very accurate. Be careful HIC and SOHIC was not dealt with in the first edition of RP 579 in a clear manner. You will have to consider whether you are looking at a blister or through wall cracking hence the emphasis on an 'experienced engineer'.

Mike Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 141

Mike Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
05:04 Aug-26-2004
G'Day John

Could you tell me the NACE reference, I might get it for a bit of light reading. ToFD gets asked for a lot for this application in the middle east I thought it was based upon a DNV specification but now looking back through information it appears to be a BS standard.

Regards

Mike

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am not sure I agree with Mikes recommendation on using TOFD in HIS sizing. True it may detect it quickly and accurately but I think you would be better sizing with Pulse Echon I suggest you consult the NACE Document of assessment of pressure equipment damaged by HIC.
: Mikes comment that once the flaws are accurately sized you can employ an engineer experienced in FFS principles such as API RP 579 is very accurate. Be careful HIC and SOHIC was not dealt with in the first edition of RP 579 in a clear manner. You will have to consider whether you are looking at a blister or through wall cracking hence the emphasis on an 'experienced engineer'.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

VeeScan AirCraft Wheel Inspection

The VEESCAN offers maximum flexibility, has a proven mechanical design and records of breakdown-fr
ee operation of over 365 days. Appealing to companies in the Aerospace industry, the VEESCAN is ideal for all wheel-testing environments. With a wide selection of probes, the VeeScan allows your wheel testing facility the flexibility to select the most compatible configurations with their workload.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Customized Probes and Transducers

With a strong development department and our own piezocomposite production, we accompany you from th
e first product idea to serial production. Our scientists are continuously researching new methods in the field of ultrasonic measurement technology. The progress achieved enables us to offer you optimal solutions.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window