where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
HIC
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:28 Aug-23-2004

Abdulla

Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY,
Libya,
Joined Jun 2004
HIC

I am looking for any body experience as to HIC NDT procedure specially when the decession should be taken to replace the equipment if HIC has been detectd.

thank you

06:40 Aug-24-2004

Mike Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: HIC ToFD will locate and size the HIC then after that an engineer familiar with API-579 Fitness for Service guidelines can make an assessment and a remaining life evaluation.

Regards

Mike

----------- Start Original Message -----------
:
: I am looking for any body experience as to HIC NDT procedure specially when the decession should be taken to replace the equipment if HIC has been detectd.
:
: thank you
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:08 Aug-25-2004

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: HIC I am not sure I agree with Mikes recommendation on using TOFD in HIS sizing. True it may detect it quickly and accurately but I think you would be better sizing with Pulse Echon I suggest you consult the NACE Document of assessment of pressure equipment damaged by HIC.

Mikes comment that once the flaws are accurately sized you can employ an engineer experienced in FFS principles such as API RP 579 is very accurate. Be careful HIC and SOHIC was not dealt with in the first edition of RP 579 in a clear manner. You will have to consider whether you are looking at a blister or through wall cracking hence the emphasis on an 'experienced engineer'.

05:04 Aug-26-2004

Mike Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: HIC G'Day John

Could you tell me the NACE reference, I might get it for a bit of light reading. ToFD gets asked for a lot for this application in the middle east I thought it was based upon a DNV specification but now looking back through information it appears to be a BS standard.

Regards

Mike

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am not sure I agree with Mikes recommendation on using TOFD in HIS sizing. True it may detect it quickly and accurately but I think you would be better sizing with Pulse Echon I suggest you consult the NACE Document of assessment of pressure equipment damaged by HIC.
: Mikes comment that once the flaws are accurately sized you can employ an engineer experienced in FFS principles such as API RP 579 is very accurate. Be careful HIC and SOHIC was not dealt with in the first edition of RP 579 in a clear manner. You will have to consider whether you are looking at a blister or through wall cracking hence the emphasis on an 'experienced engineer'.
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|