where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Airstar Inc.
Application of the newest technologies, such as air-coupled ultrasound, digital instrumentation, signal processing, and transducer technology.
Technical Discussions
Abdulla
Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY, Libya, Joined Jun 2004, 7

Abdulla

Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY,
Libya,
Joined Jun 2004
07:28 Aug-23-2004
HIC

I am looking for any body experience as to HIC NDT procedure specially when the decession should be taken to replace the equipment if HIC has been detectd.

thank you

Mike Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Mike Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
06:40 Aug-24-2004
Re: HIC
ToFD will locate and size the HIC then after that an engineer familiar with API-579 Fitness for Service guidelines can make an assessment and a remaining life evaluation.

Regards

Mike

----------- Start Original Message -----------
:
: I am looking for any body experience as to HIC NDT procedure specially when the decession should be taken to replace the equipment if HIC has been detectd.
:
: thank you
------------ End Original Message ------------

John O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 280

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
01:08 Aug-25-2004
I am not sure I agree with Mikes recommendation on using TOFD in HIS sizing. True it may detect it quickly and accurately but I think you would be better sizing with Pulse Echon I suggest you consult the NACE Document of assessment of pressure equipment damaged by HIC.

Mikes comment that once the flaws are accurately sized you can employ an engineer experienced in FFS principles such as API RP 579 is very accurate. Be careful HIC and SOHIC was not dealt with in the first edition of RP 579 in a clear manner. You will have to consider whether you are looking at a blister or through wall cracking hence the emphasis on an 'experienced engineer'.

Mike Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Mike Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
05:04 Aug-26-2004
G'Day John

Could you tell me the NACE reference, I might get it for a bit of light reading. ToFD gets asked for a lot for this application in the middle east I thought it was based upon a DNV specification but now looking back through information it appears to be a BS standard.

Regards

Mike

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am not sure I agree with Mikes recommendation on using TOFD in HIS sizing. True it may detect it quickly and accurately but I think you would be better sizing with Pulse Echon I suggest you consult the NACE Document of assessment of pressure equipment damaged by HIC.
: Mikes comment that once the flaws are accurately sized you can employ an engineer experienced in FFS principles such as API RP 579 is very accurate. Be careful HIC and SOHIC was not dealt with in the first edition of RP 579 in a clear manner. You will have to consider whether you are looking at a blister or through wall cracking hence the emphasis on an 'experienced engineer'.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window