where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
I Need Help about "Inspection Plans for Welding Seams"
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:46 Aug-24-2004
Tugrul TURGUT
I Need Help about "Inspection Plans for Welding Seams"

Hi! I am a post graduate student in Turkey. The subject of my thesis is "INSPECTION PLANS FOR WELDING SEAMS".

In my country i didnt find enough information about it. And i couldnt find enough information from the internet.

So if someone knows any internet address about this subject please send them to me.

Or if you have any more information, books, magazines, journals, .. something like that, please send them to me.

Regards,

Tugrul TURGUT

E-mail : tugrul_turgut@yahoo.com

Tel : +90 542 833 35 11

Address : Mimarsinan Cad. No:18/A Yalova/TURKEY

07:34 Aug-25-2004

Mike Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: I Need Help about "Inspection Plans for Welding Seams" G'Day Mr Turgut

I think you need to be a bit more specific in what you define as an "Inspection Plans for Welding Seams"

If you mean how to inspect welding seams you can use visual testing, penetrant testing, magnetic testing, electromagnetic testing, ultrasonic testing, acoustic emission testing, radiographic testing, leak testing, etc etc.

All the methods have different advantages and disadvantages and many of the methods have different methodologies e.g. ultrasonic testing ToFD, phased array.

Different methods and methodologies are used for different materials (steel, plastic) or different welding techniques (GTAW, FCW, FSW, GMAW, SAW, EGAW, SMAW, ESW etc, etc).

It's a balancing act between what defects you want to detect or specification, access, time constraints and probability of detection POD.

Regards

Mike

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi! I am a post graduate student in Turkey. The subject of my thesis is "INSPECTION PLANS FOR WELDING SEAMS".
: In my country i didnt find enough information about it. And i couldnt find enough information from the internet.
: So if someone knows any internet address about this subject please send them to me.
: Or if you have any more information, books, magazines, journals, .. something like that, please send them to me.
: Regards,
: Tugrul TURGUT
: E-mail : tugrul_turgut@yahoo.com
: Tel : +90 542 833 35 11
: Address : Mimarsinan Cad. No:18/A Yalova/TURKEY
------------ End Original Message ------------

02:12 Aug-25-2004
Tugrul TURGUT
Re: I Need Help about "Inspection Plans for Welding Seams" Dear Mike,

I mean only inspection plans, not the inspection methods. For example, when you manufactured a steel bridge, a ship, a pressure vessel, etc etc,... you have to inspect it. And for the big constructions, you cant inspect all the welding seams.

Now, my question is which welding seams will we inspect and what the inspection order will be for welding seams? Which welding seam will we inspect first, and why?

Regards,
Tugrul TURGUT

: G'Day Mr Turgut
: I think you need to be a bit more specific in what you define as an "Inspection Plans for Welding Seams"
: If you mean how to inspect welding seams you can use visual testing, penetrant testing, magnetic testing, electromagnetic testing, ultrasonic testing, acoustic emission testing, radiographic testing, leak testing, etc etc.
: All the methods have different advantages and disadvantages and many of the methods have different methodologies e.g. ultrasonic testing ToFD, phased array.
: Different methods and methodologies are used for different materials (steel, plastic) or different welding techniques (GTAW, FCW, FSW, GMAW, SAW, EGAW, SMAW, ESW etc, etc).
: It's a balancing act between what defects you want to detect or specification, access, time constraints and probability of detection POD.
:
: Regards
: Mike
: : Hi! I am a post graduate student in Turkey. The subject of my thesis is "INSPECTION PLANS FOR WELDING SEAMS".
: : I didnt find enough information about it. And i couldnt find enough information from the internet.
: : So if someone knows any internet address about this subject please send them to me.
: : Or if you have any more information, books, magazines, journals, .. something like that, please send them to me.
: : Regards,
: : Tugrul TURGUT
: : E-mail : tugrul_turgut@yahoo.com
: : Tel : +90 542 833 35 11
: : Address : Mimarsinan Cad. No:18/A Yalova/TURKEY

04:07 Aug-26-2004
Ricardo
Hi, saludos saludos amigos pues me gustaria recibir links sobre la inspeccion visual de soldadura para aceros A36 (acero naval).

gracias
-----------------------------------------
i need links about inspection visual to Steel A36 (NAVAL STEEL)

04:47 Aug-26-2004

Mike Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: I Need Help about "Inspection Plans for Welding Seams" G'Day Mr Turgut

The decision whether or not to inspect something is based upon the risk of the component failing and the consequence of such a failure. This is also the definition for RBI (Risked Based Inspection) which is used to quantify the risk versus consequence in a matrix format. Before going to deep into RBI we should start back at the beginning.

In the beginning there wasn't many codes and if they did exist were basic. Companies at the time did what they felt was right based on experienced and some gambles. Storage tanks have an interesting history in this respect and in some ways still do as to the untrained eye they are a simple structure which cannot be easily mucked up. After several chatasrophic failures standards and specifications were drafted such as ASME and API to name just two. These standards specify almost everything including inspection amounts. So the most common way of determining the amount of NDT a component needs is by using a standard or specification that state the MINIMUM inspection requirements.

RBI goes, perhaps a step further with a full analysis of the process, contents, temperature, etc, etc to ensure components are being inspected that should be and components with low risk rankings are not.

If there is no standard for a component then an engineer with NDT experience or a NDT Level III can develop a procedure to inspect the component. This can be an easy task or a major research project dependent upon the component.

Something else I thought should be mentioned is the client or client representative often can request additional inspection or use the specifications to his advantage. For example API 650 for aboveground storage tanks specifies the number of radiographs which shall be taken on the welds which include horizontal seam welds, vertical seam welds and T joints. The client perhaps knows that the majority of the defects that occur will be in the T joints but the contractor will not radiograph them all unless the client pays more. Therefore the client decides that all the horizontal and vertical radiographs shall be done on the T joints. So to add another methodology for inspecting welds could be classified as experience based, wild card etc.

Hope that helps you out.

Regards

Mike

: Dear Mike,
: I mean only inspection plans, not the inspection methods. For example, when you manufactured a steel bridge, a ship, a pressure vessel, etc etc,... you have to inspect it. And for the big constructions, you cant inspect all the welding seams.
: Now, my question is which welding seams will we inspect and what the inspection order will be for welding seams? Which welding seam will we inspect first, and why?
: Regards,
: Tugrul TURGUT
:
: : G'Day Mr Turgut
: : I think you need to be a bit more specific in what you define as an "Inspection Plans for Welding Seams"
: : If you mean how to inspect welding seams you can use visual testing, penetrant testing, magnetic testing, electromagnetic testing, ultrasonic testing, acoustic emission testing, radiographic testing, leak testing, etc etc.
: : All the methods have different advantages and disadvantages and many of the methods have different methodologies e.g. ultrasonic testing ToFD, phased array.
: : Different methods and methodologies are used for different materials (steel, plastic) or different welding techniques (GTAW, FCW, FSW, GMAW, SAW, EGAW, SMAW, ESW etc, etc).
: : It's a balancing act between what defects you want to detect or specification, access, time constraints and probability of detection POD.
: :
: : Regards
: : Mike
: : : Hi! I am a post graduate student in Turkey. The subject of my thesis is "INSPECTION PLANS FOR WELDING SEAMS".
: : : I didnt find enough information about it. And i couldnt find enough information from the internet.
: : : So if someone knows any internet address about this subject please send them to me.
: : : Or if you have any more information, books, magazines,journals, .. something like that, please send them to me.
: : : Regards,
: : : Tugrul TURGUT
: : : E-mail : tugrul_turgut@yahoo.com
: : : Tel : +90 542 833 35 11
: : : Address : Mimarsinan Cad. No:18/A Yalova/TURKEY

00:41 Aug-26-2004
Ed T.
Re: Hi, saludos ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: saludos amigos pues me gustaria recibir links sobre la inspeccion visual de soldadura para aceros A36 (acero naval).
: gracias
: -----------------------------------------
: i need links about inspection visual to Steel A36 (NAVAL STEEL)

www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=802&step=2
www.metalsdepot.com/products/ hrsteel2
www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/detail?product_id=927951
www.ou.edu/class/hgruenwald/teach/4333/4333l11.htm

02:51 Aug-27-2004
sandeep
regarding heat exchanger hello friends , i am sandeep from india.i am a mechanical engineering engineering student. as a project , i am designing a heat exchanger with 3/8" tube OD, 2 passes, 1.25" traingular pitch , 13BWG, 6" shell dia. for these specifications how can i find the no. of tubes for different no of passes.what is the mathematical relation between no.of tubes and no. of tubes.
i would be very grateful to you..if u plz help me out.plz email me at.....
sandeepapawar@hotmail.com

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|