where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ut test
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

KARL DEUTSCH
INSTRUMENTS AND SYSTEMS FOR NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING OF MATERIALS.

02:41 Sep-05-2004
Ali Fasih
ut test

Dear Sir,
I don’t know the criteria for selection of UT standards for quality assurance of welding from the design point of view. Indeed what is the difference between DIN 8563 and EN 25817 and when a designer should decide to check the welding in accordance to DIN 8563 or e.g. En 25817?
I will be grateful if you give me information about this matter.
With best regards,
Ali fasih

01:10 Sep-06-2004

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: ut test reply:
Hello,

Please notice that DIN 8563 and also EN 25817 are obsolete.
These standards had to be withdrawn because now there are global standards for the quality of welded joints on metals:

1. EN ISO 5817 (December 2003)
Welding - Fusion welded joints in steel, nickel, titanium and their alloys (beam welding excluded) - Quality levels for imperfections.

2. ISO/DIS 10042 (July 2004)
Welding - Arc-welded joints in aluminium and its weldable alloys - Quality levels for imperfections.

These global standards on weld quality are joined by an international standard on general rules for nondestructive testing of welds in metals:

3. ISO 17635 (September 2003)
Nondestructive testing of welds - General rules for fusion welds in metallic materials.

This standard is equivalent to EN 12062 (same title).

To link NDT to the designing of welds there is a new work item with CEN/Technical Committee 121:

4. WI 00121102
Welding - Design and nondestructive examination of welds.

In general:
All members of the European Union have to withdraw their national standards when a European (EN) or EN ISO standard is published on the same matter.
Before application of a national standard it is therefore necessary to check wether it is still valid and not superseeded by an international one.

Kind regards

Udo Schlengermann
Applications Laboratory
GE Inspection Technologies Systems GmbH
Huerth, Germany
Tel. +49-2233-601-550
Fax +49-2233-601-402
e-mail udo.schlengermann@ae.ge.com

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Sir,
: I don’t know the criteria for selection of UT standards for quality assurance of welding from the design point of view. Indeed what is the difference between DIN 8563 and EN 25817 and when a designer should decide to check the welding in accordance to DIN 8563 or e.g. En 25817?
: I will be grateful if you give me information about this matter.
: With best regards,
: Ali fasih
------------ End Original Message ------------

02:17 Sep-07-2005
sudher
Re: ut test surveyor told me to do ultrasonic test as per german standard for structural joints(ship building)..what acceptance criteria should i use if it for weld

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|