where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.

Technical Discussions
Ali Fasih
Ali Fasih
02:41 Sep-05-2004
ut test

Dear Sir,
I don’t know the criteria for selection of UT standards for quality assurance of welding from the design point of view. Indeed what is the difference between DIN 8563 and EN 25817 and when a designer should decide to check the welding in accordance to DIN 8563 or e.g. En 25817?
I will be grateful if you give me information about this matter.
With best regards,
Ali fasih

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 176

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
01:10 Sep-06-2004
Re: ut test
reply:
Hello,

Please notice that DIN 8563 and also EN 25817 are obsolete.
These standards had to be withdrawn because now there are global standards for the quality of welded joints on metals:

1. EN ISO 5817 (December 2003)
Welding - Fusion welded joints in steel, nickel, titanium and their alloys (beam welding excluded) - Quality levels for imperfections.

2. ISO/DIS 10042 (July 2004)
Welding - Arc-welded joints in aluminium and its weldable alloys - Quality levels for imperfections.

These global standards on weld quality are joined by an international standard on general rules for nondestructive testing of welds in metals:

3. ISO 17635 (September 2003)
Nondestructive testing of welds - General rules for fusion welds in metallic materials.

This standard is equivalent to EN 12062 (same title).

To link NDT to the designing of welds there is a new work item with CEN/Technical Committee 121:

4. WI 00121102
Welding - Design and nondestructive examination of welds.

In general:
All members of the European Union have to withdraw their national standards when a European (EN) or EN ISO standard is published on the same matter.
Before application of a national standard it is therefore necessary to check wether it is still valid and not superseeded by an international one.

Kind regards

Udo Schlengermann
Applications Laboratory
GE Inspection Technologies Systems GmbH
Huerth, Germany
Tel. +49-2233-601-550
Fax +49-2233-601-402
e-mail udo.schlengermann@ae.ge.com

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Sir,
: I don’t know the criteria for selection of UT standards for quality assurance of welding from the design point of view. Indeed what is the difference between DIN 8563 and EN 25817 and when a designer should decide to check the welding in accordance to DIN 8563 or e.g. En 25817?
: I will be grateful if you give me information about this matter.
: With best regards,
: Ali fasih
------------ End Original Message ------------

sudher
sudher
02:17 Sep-07-2005
Re: ut test
surveyor told me to do ultrasonic test as per german standard for structural joints(ship building)..what acceptance criteria should i use if it for weld

Product Spotlight

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window