where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments

Technical Discussions
David Harvey
Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang, USA, Joined Nov 2002, 42

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
01:14 Sep-08-2004
Part identity recognition

I am needing to be able to read tube numbers prior to testing them in a semiautomated testing system. Typically, the tubes are stamped on the ends (they are thick enough for stamping), and I would like to read the number and input it into the UT data report. Painting is not possible, nor is labeling, though some sort of barcoding on the end may be possible. Are you aware of a source for this kind of system?

Phil Herman Jr.
Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 79

Phil Herman Jr.

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
01:56 Sep-08-2004
Re: Part identity recognition
David, you may want to consider laser engraving (sometimes called laser marking.) We have a system by Epilog Laser that we use to mark serial numbers and other info on the ODs of tube ends. I know you stated you need to mark on the tube wall. That may be tough due to the limitation of 8" or so of height in the engraver. Are you able to mark the ODs instead?

We use the system to permanently mark calibration tube standards, test blocks, and other reference standards.

Phil Herman Jr.
PH Tool Reference Standards

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am needing to be able to read tube numbers prior to testing them in a semiautomated testing system. Typically, the tubes are stamped on the ends (they are thick enough for stamping), and I would like to read the number and input it into the UT data report. Painting is not possible, nor is labeling, though some sort of barcoding on the end may be possible. Are you aware of a source for this kind of system?
------------ End Original Message ------------

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 785

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
06:47 Sep-08-2004
Re: Part identity recognition
Dear Colleagues,

OCR (Optical Character Recognition) enables numbers etc. to be read and converted to a text so that David's requirement is met. Commmercial systems may be available.

Regards.

Swamy
India

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: David, you may want to consider laser engraving (sometimes called laser marking.) We have a system by Epilog Laser that we use to mark serial numbers and other info on the ODs of tube ends. I know you stated you need to mark on the tube wall. That may be tough due to the limitation of 8" or so of height in the engraver. Are you able to mark the ODs instead?
: We use the system to permanently mark calibration tube standards, test blocks, and other reference standards.
: Phil Herman Jr.
: PH Tool Reference Standards
: : I am needing to be able to read tube numbers prior to testing them in a semiautomated testing system. Typically, the tubes are stamped on the ends (they are thick enough for stamping), and I would like to read the number and input it into the UT data report. Painting is not possible, nor is labeling, though some sort of barcoding on the end may be possible. Are you aware of a source for this kind of system?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window