where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Part identity recognition
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:14 Sep-08-2004

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
Part identity recognition

I am needing to be able to read tube numbers prior to testing them in a semiautomated testing system. Typically, the tubes are stamped on the ends (they are thick enough for stamping), and I would like to read the number and input it into the UT data report. Painting is not possible, nor is labeling, though some sort of barcoding on the end may be possible. Are you aware of a source for this kind of system?

01:56 Sep-08-2004

Phil Herman Jr.

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Part identity recognition David, you may want to consider laser engraving (sometimes called laser marking.) We have a system by Epilog Laser that we use to mark serial numbers and other info on the ODs of tube ends. I know you stated you need to mark on the tube wall. That may be tough due to the limitation of 8" or so of height in the engraver. Are you able to mark the ODs instead?

We use the system to permanently mark calibration tube standards, test blocks, and other reference standards.

Phil Herman Jr.
PH Tool Reference Standards

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am needing to be able to read tube numbers prior to testing them in a semiautomated testing system. Typically, the tubes are stamped on the ends (they are thick enough for stamping), and I would like to read the number and input it into the UT data report. Painting is not possible, nor is labeling, though some sort of barcoding on the end may be possible. Are you aware of a source for this kind of system?
------------ End Original Message ------------

06:47 Sep-08-2004

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Part identity recognition Dear Colleagues,

OCR (Optical Character Recognition) enables numbers etc. to be read and converted to a text so that David's requirement is met. Commmercial systems may be available.

Regards.

Swamy
India

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: David, you may want to consider laser engraving (sometimes called laser marking.) We have a system by Epilog Laser that we use to mark serial numbers and other info on the ODs of tube ends. I know you stated you need to mark on the tube wall. That may be tough due to the limitation of 8" or so of height in the engraver. Are you able to mark the ODs instead?
: We use the system to permanently mark calibration tube standards, test blocks, and other reference standards.
: Phil Herman Jr.
: PH Tool Reference Standards
: : I am needing to be able to read tube numbers prior to testing them in a semiautomated testing system. Typically, the tubes are stamped on the ends (they are thick enough for stamping), and I would like to read the number and input it into the UT data report. Painting is not possible, nor is labeling, though some sort of barcoding on the end may be possible. Are you aware of a source for this kind of system?
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|