where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Materials Research Institute
Consulting to the NDT industry.
Technical Discussions
David Harvey
Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang, USA, Joined Nov 2002, 42

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
01:14 Sep-08-2004
Part identity recognition

I am needing to be able to read tube numbers prior to testing them in a semiautomated testing system. Typically, the tubes are stamped on the ends (they are thick enough for stamping), and I would like to read the number and input it into the UT data report. Painting is not possible, nor is labeling, though some sort of barcoding on the end may be possible. Are you aware of a source for this kind of system?

Phil Herman Jr.
Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 79

Phil Herman Jr.

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
01:56 Sep-08-2004
Re: Part identity recognition
David, you may want to consider laser engraving (sometimes called laser marking.) We have a system by Epilog Laser that we use to mark serial numbers and other info on the ODs of tube ends. I know you stated you need to mark on the tube wall. That may be tough due to the limitation of 8" or so of height in the engraver. Are you able to mark the ODs instead?

We use the system to permanently mark calibration tube standards, test blocks, and other reference standards.

Phil Herman Jr.
PH Tool Reference Standards

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am needing to be able to read tube numbers prior to testing them in a semiautomated testing system. Typically, the tubes are stamped on the ends (they are thick enough for stamping), and I would like to read the number and input it into the UT data report. Painting is not possible, nor is labeling, though some sort of barcoding on the end may be possible. Are you aware of a source for this kind of system?
------------ End Original Message ------------

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
06:47 Sep-08-2004
Re: Part identity recognition
Dear Colleagues,

OCR (Optical Character Recognition) enables numbers etc. to be read and converted to a text so that David's requirement is met. Commmercial systems may be available.

Regards.

Swamy
India

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: David, you may want to consider laser engraving (sometimes called laser marking.) We have a system by Epilog Laser that we use to mark serial numbers and other info on the ODs of tube ends. I know you stated you need to mark on the tube wall. That may be tough due to the limitation of 8" or so of height in the engraver. Are you able to mark the ODs instead?
: We use the system to permanently mark calibration tube standards, test blocks, and other reference standards.
: Phil Herman Jr.
: PH Tool Reference Standards
: : I am needing to be able to read tube numbers prior to testing them in a semiautomated testing system. Typically, the tubes are stamped on the ends (they are thick enough for stamping), and I would like to read the number and input it into the UT data report. Painting is not possible, nor is labeling, though some sort of barcoding on the end may be possible. Are you aware of a source for this kind of system?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

TraiNDE UT

TraiNDE UT is a virtual tool associated with a signal database which simulates real inspection con
ditions for numerous applications (Type A/V1 block, DAC block, welds and plates).
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window