where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
testing of austenitic spot welds
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:49 Sep-10-2004

Leon

Engineering
Welding Technology Instirute of Australia,
Australia,
Joined Sep 2004
testing of austenitic spot welds

What is the best method of non destructive testing of spot welds in austenitic stainless steels and what is the current state of the art? Thicknesses of base materials vary from 1.6 mm to 6 mm in mainly grade 304 and 304L. I have seen sme articles on high frequency UT probes for testing of automotive spot welds in carbon steels but nothing on austenitics.
Is any work being done on phased array testing of spot welds?

06:08 Sep-12-2004

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: testing of austenitic spot welds Dear Leon,

Ultrasonic testing of austenitic ss welds is a little more complicated than carbon steels. What is the button thickness? And what are the defects that you are looking for in addition to incomplete fusion? What is the defect library built up through sectioning?

Pl. feel free to contact me for further discussion. We have done good work on testing of spot welds on thin sections of zirconium alloy tubes and have published our work too.

Best wishes.

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: What is the best method of non destructive testing of spot welds in austenitic stainless steels and what is the current state of the art? Thicknesses of base materials vary from 1.6 mm to 6 mm in mainly grade 304 and 304L. I have seen sme articles on high frequency UT probes for testing of automotive spot welds in carbon steels but nothing on austenitics.
: Is any work being done on phased array testing of spot welds?
------------ End Original Message ------------

09:12 Sep-13-2004

Rolf D.

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: testing of austenitic spot welds ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: What is the best method of non destructive testing of spot welds in austenitic stainless steels and what is the current state of the art? Thicknesses of base materials vary from 1.6 mm to 6 mm in mainly grade 304 and 304L. I have seen sme articles on high frequency UT probes for testing of automotive spot welds in carbon steels but nothing on austenitics.
: Is any work being done on phased array testing of spot welds?
------------ End Original Message ------------

I have heard during the WCNDT Montreal that people recently
evaluating phased array technique of spot welds.

There was also held the lecture:
NONDESTRUCTIVE TESTING ACTIVITIES, NEEDS, AND TRENDS IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY
G. Mozurkewich
Ford Motor Company, Research and Advanced Engineering, Dearborn, Michigan, USA

In NDT.net's October issue we'll have this and all other WCNDT papers at NDT.net available.

If you need, I could send you the PDF paper already now and/or theemail address of George Mozurkewich.

Rolf Diederichs

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|