where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
Weare searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques- in creation of new productsUltrasonic instruments - Ultrasonic Testing Card

Technical Discussions
Paul Fischer
Consultant
Milwaukee School of Engineering, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Joined Sep 2004, 1

Paul Fischer

Consultant
Milwaukee School of Engineering,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Sep 2004
07:16 Sep-12-2004
detectable flaw size in aluminum

I have an interesting problem that I need help with. I need to be able to detect a flaw size of .05 inches around a bolt hole on a helicopter rotor blade. I am limited to using ultrasonics. We think we should be able to accomplish this but we are unsure what frequency would be necessary and what tranducer angles to use. Any help would be appreciate.

S.G.
Consultant
Enrico Enterprises, India, Joined Jul 2004, 20

S.G.

Consultant
Enrico Enterprises,
India,
Joined Jul 2004
06:44 Sep-13-2004
Re: detectable flaw size in aluminum
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have an interesting problem that I need help with. I need to be able to detect a flaw size of .05 inches around a bolt hole on a helicopter rotor blade. I am limited to using ultrasonics. We think we should be able to accomplish this but we are unsure what frequency would be necessary and what tranducer angles to use. Any help would be appreciate.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi, Dear sir

Basic UT said the smallest defect can possible to detect by half wavelength and it is possible by high frequency. The angle selection is depend on the thickness of material. So mention the approx. dimentions.

Warm regard
S.G.

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
09:08 Sep-17-2004
Re: detectable flaw size in aluminum
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have an interesting problem that I need help with. I need to be able to detect a flaw size of .05 inches around a bolt hole on a helicopter rotor blade. I am limited to using ultrasonics. We think we should be able to accomplish this but we are unsure what frequency would be necessary and what tranducer angles to use. Any help would be appreciate.
------------ End Original Message ------------
Dear Paul,

Greetings. First make a defect stadard. Then try to see how the defect can be approached. The wavelength needed will be twice the defect size, that is about 0.1 inch. So, you will be able to work out the frequency, since you would know which velocity to use, longitudinal or shear. If you can send a sketch of the setup, I would probably be able to help you better.

Best wishes.

Swamy

Product Spotlight

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window