where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
detectable flaw size in aluminum
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:16 Sep-12-2004

Paul Fischer

Consultant
Milwaukee School of Engineering,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Sep 2004
detectable flaw size in aluminum

I have an interesting problem that I need help with. I need to be able to detect a flaw size of .05 inches around a bolt hole on a helicopter rotor blade. I am limited to using ultrasonics. We think we should be able to accomplish this but we are unsure what frequency would be necessary and what tranducer angles to use. Any help would be appreciate.

06:44 Sep-13-2004

S.G.

Consultant
Enrico Enterprises,
India,
Joined Jul 2004
Re: detectable flaw size in aluminum ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have an interesting problem that I need help with. I need to be able to detect a flaw size of .05 inches around a bolt hole on a helicopter rotor blade. I am limited to using ultrasonics. We think we should be able to accomplish this but we are unsure what frequency would be necessary and what tranducer angles to use. Any help would be appreciate.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi, Dear sir

Basic UT said the smallest defect can possible to detect by half wavelength and it is possible by high frequency. The angle selection is depend on the thickness of material. So mention the approx. dimentions.

Warm regard
S.G.

09:08 Sep-17-2004

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: detectable flaw size in aluminum ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have an interesting problem that I need help with. I need to be able to detect a flaw size of .05 inches around a bolt hole on a helicopter rotor blade. I am limited to using ultrasonics. We think we should be able to accomplish this but we are unsure what frequency would be necessary and what tranducer angles to use. Any help would be appreciate.
------------ End Original Message ------------
Dear Paul,

Greetings. First make a defect stadard. Then try to see how the defect can be approached. The wavelength needed will be twice the defect size, that is about 0.1 inch. So, you will be able to work out the frequency, since you would know which velocity to use, longitudinal or shear. If you can send a sketch of the setup, I would probably be able to help you better.

Best wishes.

Swamy

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|