where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic testing on Granite and marble
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:39 Sep-14-2004

S.G.

Consultant
Enrico Enterprises,
India,
Joined Jul 2004
Ultrasonic testing on Granite and marble

Dear Colleagues,

Is it possible to test the Granite and marble for flaw or crack detection by ultrasonic test method ? Is there any special technique for flaw detection on Granite and marble ?

If any one has idea pleas let me know.

Thank you.

S.G.

09:22 Sep-15-2004

M. Schickert

R & D,
Institute for Materials Research and Testing,
Germany,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Ultrasonic testing on Granite and marble Ultrasonic testing is being used for condition assessment of marble pillars and statues. To this end, pulse velocity results of longitudinal wave transmission measurements are grouped for a classification of parts of the object. Marble quality is considered very good for pulse velocities of 5000 m/s or higher, and very poor for pulse velocities of 2000 m/s or lower. Usually, frequencies of about 50 kHz are employed. It has to be taken into account that anisotropy can cause pulse velocity changes of 30 % or more in undamaged marble. (I have some literature on this, mostly in German.)

I dont't have knowledge of ultrasonic testing of granite. This certainly is a geophysical topic, frequencies well below 100 Hz being involved.

08:59 Sep-17-2004

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Ultrasonic testing on Granite and marble ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Colleagues,
: Is it possible to test the Granite and marble for flaw or crack detection by ultrasonic test method ? Is there any special technique for flaw detection on Granite and marble ?
: If any one has idea pleas let me know.
: Thank you.
: S.G.
------------ End Original Message ------------
Hi,

I would try a frequency test. The presence of a flaw would affect the frequency. The shape and size of the material would play a critical part in selection of any NDT Method.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|