where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Composite repairs
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:57 Sep-21-2004

KMP

Consultant
Self employed,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 2001
Composite repairs

Does anyone have any information about the failure of composite repair patches?

Particularly after having been subjected to an NDT examination.

09:18 Sep-22-2004

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Composite repairs You may need to be more specific about types of composite repairs. There have been a number of recorded failures and I know of one recently that failed within a few weeks of installation. I don't know how much is in the published public domain at present.Much of the failure data I have seen appears to relate to poor application rather than design failures.

Some operators and regulators are now demonstrating concern about the effectiveness of Inspection of Composite reapirs and in particular measuring how much material remains under the wrap. i.e monitoring changing corrosion conditions.

ASME PCCP now has a draft composite wrap repair guide which will be useful.

The issue is soon to be addressed in API 570 Piping Code and if I recall correctly these will be clearly 'temporary repairs' similar to leak clamps and must be replaced by permenent repairs at the first maintenance opportunity.

09:58 Sep-24-2004

Alex Easton

NDT Inspector, Designer/Technician
Genaire Limited,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2004
Re: Composite repairs ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone have any information about the failure of composite repair patches?
: Particularly after having been subjected to an NDT examination.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Failure can depend on many factors, repair method, technicians performing the work and service fatigue. Answer those questions and you will be on your way. What type of failure?
What is the NDT method you are using that would damage the part?
Whatever it is you should find another method.

07:52 Sep-25-2004

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Composite repairs ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Does anyone have any information about the failure of composite repair patches?
: : Particularly after having been subjected to an NDT examination.
: Failure can depend on many factors, repair method, technicians performing the work and service fatigue. Answer those questions and you will be on your way. What type of failure?
: What is the NDT method you are using that would damage the part?
: Whatever it is you should find another method.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Some composites do get damaged by water coupling in Ultrasonic Testing. Similarly, some composites do get damaged during Acoustic Emission Testing, not because of the test, but by the pressurisation or stressing process. If the originator of this question can be more specific, may be more light can be thrown.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|