where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Seamless pipe test.
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:49 Sep-29-2004

S.G.

Consultant
Enrico Enterprises,
India,
Joined Jul 2004
Seamless pipe test.

Hi, Friendes

I want to test the seamless pipe by ultrasonic contact type method.

To cover the maximum area

# I am using the angle probe 45 degree and 4 MHz and crystal size is 8x 9 mm and the beam spread is approx. 5 degree. As per my knoledge the effective beam width of this probe is Less Is it right ?

# Can i use the 10 mm dia lonitudinal beam probe with the angulated wadge ( angle is 45 degree ) ? In this case can i get the more effective beam width ?

Please Help to sort out my purpose. Thanking you.

S.G.

03:07 Sep-29-2004
Ed T.
Re: Seamless pipe test. ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, Friendes
: I want to test the seamless pipe by ultrasonic contact type method.
: To cover the maximum area
: # I am using the angle probe 45 degree and 4 MHz and crystal size is 8x 9 mm and the beam spread is approx. 5 degree. As per my knoledge the effective beam width of this probe is Less Is it right ?
: # Can i use the 10 mm dia lonitudinal beam probe with the angulated wadge ( angle is 45 degree ) ? In this case can i get the more effective beam width ?
: Please Help to sort out my purpose. Thanking you.
: S.G.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Can you be more specific? What exactly are you testing the seamless pipe for? Is there a girth weld involved?
What exactly are you trying to detect?

05:46 Sep-30-2004

S.G.

Consultant
Enrico Enterprises,
India,
Joined Jul 2004
Re: Seamless pipe test. ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi, Friendes
: : I want to test the seamless pipe by ultrasonic contact type method.
: : To cover the maximum area
: : # I am using the angle probe 45 degree and 4 MHz and crystal size is 8x 9 mm and the beam spread is approx. 5 degree. As per my knoledge the effective beam width of this probe is Less Is it right ?
: : # Can i use the 10 mm dia lonitudinal beam probe with the angulated wadge ( angle is 45 degree ) ? In this case can i get the more effective beam width ?
: : Please Help to sort out my purpose. Thanking you.
: : S.G.
: Can you be more specific? What exactly are you testing the seamless pipe for? Is there a girth weld involved?
: What exactly are you trying to detect?

The defect is N5 notch and wall thickness is 5 mm to 15 mm. There is no weld nothing.

07:16 Oct-05-2004

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: Seamless pipe test. Hello Shashu,
The formula for the determination of beam width Y = arc sin1.22(wavelength/diameter)
Which means that as the diameter of the crystal increases the beam width at a certain beam path length will decrease.
Are you trying to detect the N5 notch radially as well as longitudinally?
The diameter of the pipe will affect the beam spread and beam angle when testing longitudinally.
Will you be shaping the probe shoe to the contour of the pipe?

Regards

Neil Burleigh

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : Hi, Friendes
: : : I want to test the seamless pipe by ultrasonic contact type method.
: : : To cover the maximum area
: : : # I am using the angle probe 45 degree and 4 MHz and crystal size is 8x 9 mm and the beam spread is approx. 5 degree. As per my knoledge the effective beam width of this probe is Less Is it right ?
: : : # Can i use the 10 mm dia lonitudinal beam probe with the angulated wadge ( angle is 45 degree ) ? In this case can i get themore effective beam width ?
: : : Please Help to sort out my purpose. Thanking you.
: : : S.G.
: : Can you be more specific? What exactly are you testing the seamless pipe for? Is there a girth weld involved?
: : What exactly are you trying to detect?
: The defect is N5 notch and wall thickness is 5 mm to 15 mm. There is no weld nothing.

08:25 May-19-2005
akin nowahalla
Re: use of Seamless pipe please possible to tell me what is used to produce seamless pipe/steel and what do we use this pipes/steels for.

thanks/me.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|