where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GRANPECT COMPANY Ltd
GRANPECT bends to the industrialization of high-tech research achievements and specializes in research and development of various X-ray radiation imag ...
Technical Discussions
S.G.
Consultant
Enrico Enterprises, India, Joined Jul 2004, 20

S.G.

Consultant
Enrico Enterprises,
India,
Joined Jul 2004
01:49 Sep-29-2004
Seamless pipe test.

Hi, Friendes

I want to test the seamless pipe by ultrasonic contact type method.

To cover the maximum area

# I am using the angle probe 45 degree and 4 MHz and crystal size is 8x 9 mm and the beam spread is approx. 5 degree. As per my knoledge the effective beam width of this probe is Less Is it right ?

# Can i use the 10 mm dia lonitudinal beam probe with the angulated wadge ( angle is 45 degree ) ? In this case can i get the more effective beam width ?

Please Help to sort out my purpose. Thanking you.

S.G.

Ed T.
Ed T.
03:07 Sep-29-2004
Re: Seamless pipe test.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, Friendes
: I want to test the seamless pipe by ultrasonic contact type method.
: To cover the maximum area
: # I am using the angle probe 45 degree and 4 MHz and crystal size is 8x 9 mm and the beam spread is approx. 5 degree. As per my knoledge the effective beam width of this probe is Less Is it right ?
: # Can i use the 10 mm dia lonitudinal beam probe with the angulated wadge ( angle is 45 degree ) ? In this case can i get the more effective beam width ?
: Please Help to sort out my purpose. Thanking you.
: S.G.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Can you be more specific? What exactly are you testing the seamless pipe for? Is there a girth weld involved?
What exactly are you trying to detect?

S.G.
Consultant
Enrico Enterprises, India, Joined Jul 2004, 20

S.G.

Consultant
Enrico Enterprises,
India,
Joined Jul 2004
05:46 Sep-30-2004
: : Hi, Friendes
: : I want to test the seamless pipe by ultrasonic contact type method.
: : To cover the maximum area
: : # I am using the angle probe 45 degree and 4 MHz and crystal size is 8x 9 mm and the beam spread is approx. 5 degree. As per my knoledge the effective beam width of this probe is Less Is it right ?
: : # Can i use the 10 mm dia lonitudinal beam probe with the angulated wadge ( angle is 45 degree ) ? In this case can i get the more effective beam width ?
: : Please Help to sort out my purpose. Thanking you.
: : S.G.
: Can you be more specific? What exactly are you testing the seamless pipe for? Is there a girth weld involved?
: What exactly are you trying to detect?

The defect is N5 notch and wall thickness is 5 mm to 15 mm. There is no weld nothing.

Neil Burleigh
Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Dec 2002, 157

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
07:16 Oct-05-2004
Hello Shashu,
The formula for the determination of beam width Y = arc sin1.22(wavelength/diameter)
Which means that as the diameter of the crystal increases the beam width at a certain beam path length will decrease.
Are you trying to detect the N5 notch radially as well as longitudinally?
The diameter of the pipe will affect the beam spread and beam angle when testing longitudinally.
Will you be shaping the probe shoe to the contour of the pipe?

Regards

Neil Burleigh

: : : Hi, Friendes
: : : I want to test the seamless pipe by ultrasonic contact type method.
: : : To cover the maximum area
: : : # I am using the angle probe 45 degree and 4 MHz and crystal size is 8x 9 mm and the beam spread is approx. 5 degree. As per my knoledge the effective beam width of this probe is Less Is it right ?
: : : # Can i use the 10 mm dia lonitudinal beam probe with the angulated wadge ( angle is 45 degree ) ? In this case can i get themore effective beam width ?
: : : Please Help to sort out my purpose. Thanking you.
: : : S.G.
: : Can you be more specific? What exactly are you testing the seamless pipe for? Is there a girth weld involved?
: : What exactly are you trying to detect?
: The defect is N5 notch and wall thickness is 5 mm to 15 mm. There is no weld nothing.

akin nowahalla
akin nowahalla
08:25 May-19-2005
Re: use of Seamless pipe
please possible to tell me what is used to produce seamless pipe/steel and what do we use this pipes/steels for.

thanks/me.

Product Spotlight

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window