where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE
The Ultrasound Institute can develop new advanced ultrasonic measurement, imaging and NDT techniques for non-conventional applications.
Technical Discussions
M.Kovacik
M.Kovacik
00:14 Oct-03-2004
UT and magnetic field

Dear colleagues

Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?

Thanks for any answer.

Pim van Andel
Pim van Andel
02:32 Oct-06-2004
Re: UT and magnetic field
There could be some influence:
A DC field of this strength may magnetise a substantial volume of steel. Ultrasound passing through this volume generates eddy currents (compare the EMAT transducer principle)Energy loss by the eddy currents may attenuate the ultrasound.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear colleagues
: Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: Thanks for any answer.
:
:
------------ End Original Message ------------

Chris Coughlin
Chris Coughlin
05:08 Oct-07-2004
If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.

Hope this helps,
Chris

: Dear colleagues
: Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: Thanks for any answer.
:
:

Pim van Andel
Pim van Andel
02:11 Oct-08-2004
And the change in velocity is (much?) less then 1% ?

: If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.
: Hope this helps,
: Chris
: : Dear colleagues
: : Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: : Thanks for any answer.
: :
: :

Chris Coughlin
Chris Coughlin
03:14 Oct-08-2004
Granted, the effect is small (delta V/V ~10^-5 normally), but the original question was "any effect," not "any significant effect." ;-)

Take care & have a good weekend!

--chris

: And the change in velocity is (much?) less then 1% ?
: : If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.
: : Hope this helps,
: : Chris
: : : Dear colleagues
: : : Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: : : Thanks for any answer.
: : :
: : :

Product Spotlight

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

TraiNDE UT

TraiNDE UT is a virtual tool associated with a signal database which simulates real inspection con
ditions for numerous applications (Type A/V1 block, DAC block, welds and plates).
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Ultrasonic Probe Recharacterization Service

NDT Systems offers a comprehensive Aftercare and Recharacterization Service for all our ultrasonic
probes. The Recharacterization Service is fully compliant with International ASTM E1065 Standard Guide (and other applicable standards) and offers complete documentation, traceable to the ASTM E1065 Standard. For more details or to schedule Recharacterization Services contact ndtsales@ndtsystems.com
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window