where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

KARL DEUTSCH
INSTRUMENTS AND SYSTEMS FOR NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING OF MATERIALS.

Technical Discussions
M.Kovacik
M.Kovacik
00:14 Oct-03-2004
UT and magnetic field

Dear colleagues

Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?

Thanks for any answer.

Pim van Andel
Pim van Andel
02:32 Oct-06-2004
Re: UT and magnetic field
There could be some influence:
A DC field of this strength may magnetise a substantial volume of steel. Ultrasound passing through this volume generates eddy currents (compare the EMAT transducer principle)Energy loss by the eddy currents may attenuate the ultrasound.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear colleagues
: Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: Thanks for any answer.
:
:
------------ End Original Message ------------

Chris Coughlin
Chris Coughlin
05:08 Oct-07-2004
If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.

Hope this helps,
Chris

: Dear colleagues
: Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: Thanks for any answer.
:
:

Pim van Andel
Pim van Andel
02:11 Oct-08-2004
And the change in velocity is (much?) less then 1% ?

: If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.
: Hope this helps,
: Chris
: : Dear colleagues
: : Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: : Thanks for any answer.
: :
: :

Chris Coughlin
Chris Coughlin
03:14 Oct-08-2004
Granted, the effect is small (delta V/V ~10^-5 normally), but the original question was "any effect," not "any significant effect." ;-)

Take care & have a good weekend!

--chris

: And the change in velocity is (much?) less then 1% ?
: : If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.
: : Hope this helps,
: : Chris
: : : Dear colleagues
: : : Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: : : Thanks for any answer.
: : :
: : :

Product Spotlight

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window