where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT and magnetic field
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

YXLON Copenhagen
YXLON Copenhagen is a highly specialized, award winning Danish company with 60 years of experience in portable X-ray solutions for industrial NDT.

00:14 Oct-03-2004
M.Kovacik
UT and magnetic field

Dear colleagues

Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?

Thanks for any answer.

02:32 Oct-06-2004
Pim van Andel
Re: UT and magnetic field There could be some influence:
A DC field of this strength may magnetise a substantial volume of steel. Ultrasound passing through this volume generates eddy currents (compare the EMAT transducer principle)Energy loss by the eddy currents may attenuate the ultrasound.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear colleagues
: Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: Thanks for any answer.
:
:
------------ End Original Message ------------

05:08 Oct-07-2004
Chris Coughlin
Re: UT and magnetic field If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.

Hope this helps,
Chris

: Dear colleagues
: Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: Thanks for any answer.
:
:

02:11 Oct-08-2004
Pim van Andel
Re: UT and magnetic field And the change in velocity is (much?) less then 1% ?

: If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.
: Hope this helps,
: Chris
: : Dear colleagues
: : Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: : Thanks for any answer.
: :
: :

03:14 Oct-08-2004
Chris Coughlin
Re: UT and magnetic field Granted, the effect is small (delta V/V ~10^-5 normally), but the original question was "any effect," not "any significant effect." ;-)

Take care & have a good weekend!

--chris

: And the change in velocity is (much?) less then 1% ?
: : If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.
: : Hope this helps,
: : Chris
: : : Dear colleagues
: : : Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: : : Thanks for any answer.
: : :
: : :

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|