where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

AT-Automation Technology GmbH
AT -Automation Technology is a systems house for industrial image processing. AT offers thermographic ndt systems as well as high-speed 3D sensors.
Technical Discussions
M.Kovacik
M.Kovacik
00:14 Oct-03-2004
UT and magnetic field

Dear colleagues

Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?

Thanks for any answer.

Pim van Andel
Pim van Andel
02:32 Oct-06-2004
Re: UT and magnetic field
There could be some influence:
A DC field of this strength may magnetise a substantial volume of steel. Ultrasound passing through this volume generates eddy currents (compare the EMAT transducer principle)Energy loss by the eddy currents may attenuate the ultrasound.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear colleagues
: Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: Thanks for any answer.
:
:
------------ End Original Message ------------

Chris Coughlin
Chris Coughlin
05:08 Oct-07-2004
If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.

Hope this helps,
Chris

: Dear colleagues
: Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: Thanks for any answer.
:
:

Pim van Andel
Pim van Andel
02:11 Oct-08-2004
And the change in velocity is (much?) less then 1% ?

: If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.
: Hope this helps,
: Chris
: : Dear colleagues
: : Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: : Thanks for any answer.
: :
: :

Chris Coughlin
Chris Coughlin
03:14 Oct-08-2004
Granted, the effect is small (delta V/V ~10^-5 normally), but the original question was "any effect," not "any significant effect." ;-)

Take care & have a good weekend!

--chris

: And the change in velocity is (much?) less then 1% ?
: : If the field's strong enough, it can change the acoustic velocity of the steel, because of the stresses (e.g. magnetostriction) a magnetic field can induce in a ferromagnetic material. This "magnetoelastic effect" is sometimes used to measure stresses in ferromagnetic steels.
: : Hope this helps,
: : Chris
: : : Dear colleagues
: : : Recently,I have been confronted by a problem of UT testning steel material under strong magnetic fields. My question is : may magnetic fields produced by strong DC current (100kA) have any effect on the propagation and attenuation of 2MHz - 10 MHz ultrasonic waves?
: : : Thanks for any answer.
: : :
: : :

Product Spotlight

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window