where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
High power piezo transducer
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:21 Oct-27-2004

Koichiro Kawashima

Consultant
Ultrasonic Materials Diagnosis Lab.,
Japan,
Joined Oct 2004
High power piezo transducer

I'm looking for focused ultrasonic trasducers which work under high power, say 1.2kV and burst cyles of 10 to 20.
Operating frequency is 5, 10, or 20 MHz.

I'm trying nonlinear ultarsonic imaging of defects of kissing bonds using RITEC SNAP-5000.

Could anyone supply to me durable transducers?

05:36 Oct-27-2004
Ethan
Re: High power piezo transducer ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I'm looking for focused ultrasonic trasducers which work under high power, say 1.2kV and burst cyles of 10 to 20.
: Operating frequency is 5, 10, or 20 MHz.
:
: I'm trying nonlinear ultarsonic imaging of defects of kissing bonds using RITEC SNAP-5000.
: Could anyone supply to me durable transducers?
------------ End Original Message ------------

WOW, that is a tall order. My expereince has been that such power levels would destroy such a transducer. If it is a conventional design (backing layer bonded to xtal bonded to wearface/matching layer) you will end up with localized heating at the bond lines from the excessive vibrations of the xtal and then you get disbonds and a destroyed transducer. I would speak with ONDA in California (the late Alan Selfridge's company). I would also suggest doing a patent search on the Bubble jet printer technology (I believe it was a xerox patent)as they originally used sound to excite the droplets. Also check out http://www.labcyte.com. It is a high power, high energy acoustic application

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|