where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ACS-Solutions GmbH
develop and manufacture hi-tech devices for Ultrasonic Testing
Technical Discussions
Abdulla benamer
Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY, Libya, Joined Jun 2004, 7

Abdulla benamer

Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY,
Libya,
Joined Jun 2004
09:10 Nov-01-2004
ULTRAGEL

IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?

Ethan
Ethan
04:25 Nov-02-2004
Re: ULTRAGEL
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?
------------ End Original Message ------------

It depends on your reasons for needing a different material. Is is a reaction issue with the material being tested or is it written in the code? If I recall correctly there was an issue with some gel couplants being made with small amounts of Sodium Hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. These caustic chemical would react with certain plastic used in the instrument case and cause it to become brittle over time. Peg at Sonotech in Washington would be a good expoert to contact regarding these issues.

I have seen many items used as substitutes for Ultragel, such as hair gel, ky jelly, vaseline, motor oil.... There are many acoustic reasons to not use the above items. Sonotech does have a 'safe' gel couplant that can be used

Chris
Chris
09:07 Nov-02-2004
Re: ULTRAGEL
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?
------------ End Original Message ------------

You can use all kinds of things as long as you get good coupling to the part. I have used motor oil, bearring grease and dishwashing liquid before! It just depends on what you are working. If there is a flamability problem, I would use the dishwashing liquid. I have even spit on a part for couplant before because I dropped my bottle and couldn't reach it! Hope this helps.
Chris Pelkey
Petty Officer First Class
United States Navy

Product Spotlight

Surf-X® Array Probe

Introducing the Surf-X family of flexible Eddy Current Array (ECA) probes. Featuring unique multiple
coil sets and proprietary X-PROBE technology, Surf-X array probes can quickly and accurately handle a range of inspection applications, from inspecting corrosion or cracking in pipes, pressure vessels, or tanks, to assessing and sizing cracks in raised welds and friction stir welds.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window