where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Abdulla benamer
Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY, Libya, Joined Jun 2004, 7

Abdulla benamer

Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY,
Libya,
Joined Jun 2004
09:10 Nov-01-2004
ULTRAGEL

IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?

Ethan
Ethan
04:25 Nov-02-2004
Re: ULTRAGEL
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?
------------ End Original Message ------------

It depends on your reasons for needing a different material. Is is a reaction issue with the material being tested or is it written in the code? If I recall correctly there was an issue with some gel couplants being made with small amounts of Sodium Hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. These caustic chemical would react with certain plastic used in the instrument case and cause it to become brittle over time. Peg at Sonotech in Washington would be a good expoert to contact regarding these issues.

I have seen many items used as substitutes for Ultragel, such as hair gel, ky jelly, vaseline, motor oil.... There are many acoustic reasons to not use the above items. Sonotech does have a 'safe' gel couplant that can be used

Chris
Chris
09:07 Nov-02-2004
Re: ULTRAGEL
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?
------------ End Original Message ------------

You can use all kinds of things as long as you get good coupling to the part. I have used motor oil, bearring grease and dishwashing liquid before! It just depends on what you are working. If there is a flamability problem, I would use the dishwashing liquid. I have even spit on a part for couplant before because I dropped my bottle and couldn't reach it! Hope this helps.
Chris Pelkey
Petty Officer First Class
United States Navy

Product Spotlight

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

GUL Subsea Solutions - Screeening & Monitoring

To inspect new and existing subsea lines, you need proven technology and experience. GUL offers it's
technology to solve this challenge: GUL Subsea and gMAT Transducer Rings.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window