where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ULTRAGEL
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

ZETEC, Inc.
is your Key Supplier of Phased Array UT and Eddy Current Solutions.– Complete and Fully Integrated!

09:10 Nov-01-2004

Abdulla benamer

Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY,
Libya,
Joined Jun 2004
ULTRAGEL

IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?

04:25 Nov-02-2004
Ethan
Re: ULTRAGEL ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?
------------ End Original Message ------------

It depends on your reasons for needing a different material. Is is a reaction issue with the material being tested or is it written in the code? If I recall correctly there was an issue with some gel couplants being made with small amounts of Sodium Hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. These caustic chemical would react with certain plastic used in the instrument case and cause it to become brittle over time. Peg at Sonotech in Washington would be a good expoert to contact regarding these issues.

I have seen many items used as substitutes for Ultragel, such as hair gel, ky jelly, vaseline, motor oil.... There are many acoustic reasons to not use the above items. Sonotech does have a 'safe' gel couplant that can be used

09:07 Nov-02-2004
Chris
Re: ULTRAGEL ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?
------------ End Original Message ------------

You can use all kinds of things as long as you get good coupling to the part. I have used motor oil, bearring grease and dishwashing liquid before! It just depends on what you are working. If there is a flamability problem, I would use the dishwashing liquid. I have even spit on a part for couplant before because I dropped my bottle and couldn't reach it! Hope this helps.
Chris Pelkey
Petty Officer First Class
United States Navy

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|