where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Abdulla benamer
Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY, Libya, Joined Jun 2004, 7

Abdulla benamer

Engineering, CORROSION DIV. SUPERINTENDENT
SIRTE OIL COMPANY,
Libya,
Joined Jun 2004
09:10 Nov-01-2004
ULTRAGEL

IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?

Ethan
Ethan
04:25 Nov-02-2004
Re: ULTRAGEL
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?
------------ End Original Message ------------

It depends on your reasons for needing a different material. Is is a reaction issue with the material being tested or is it written in the code? If I recall correctly there was an issue with some gel couplants being made with small amounts of Sodium Hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. These caustic chemical would react with certain plastic used in the instrument case and cause it to become brittle over time. Peg at Sonotech in Washington would be a good expoert to contact regarding these issues.

I have seen many items used as substitutes for Ultragel, such as hair gel, ky jelly, vaseline, motor oil.... There are many acoustic reasons to not use the above items. Sonotech does have a 'safe' gel couplant that can be used

Chris
Chris
09:07 Nov-02-2004
Re: ULTRAGEL
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: IN CASE THERE IS NO ULTRAGEL TO BE USED DURING UT SCANING, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?
------------ End Original Message ------------

You can use all kinds of things as long as you get good coupling to the part. I have used motor oil, bearring grease and dishwashing liquid before! It just depends on what you are working. If there is a flamability problem, I would use the dishwashing liquid. I have even spit on a part for couplant before because I dropped my bottle and couldn't reach it! Hope this helps.
Chris Pelkey
Petty Officer First Class
United States Navy

Product Spotlight

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window