where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Surface Probe Eddy Current Inspection of Tubing
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Teletest
Teletest Focus+ was the first system to use long-range guided wave ultrasonic testing to detect corrosion in pipelines.

07:16 Nov-05-2004
Derek
Surface Probe Eddy Current Inspection of Tubing

Has anyone here ever used a surface eddy current probe to examine stainless steel tubing? Specifically small diamter tubing (<= 1/8"). If anyone has any insight or links to information related to this they could offer I would appreciate it. Please send an email to: ddlucero@lanl.gov.

01:29 Dec-09-2004

dirk wagner

NDT Inspector
ec-works,
Germany,
Joined Dec 2004
Re: Surface Probe Eddy Current Inspection of Tubing ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Has anyone here ever used a surface eddy current probe to examine stainless steel tubing? Specifically small diamter tubing (<= 1/8"). If anyone has any insight or links to information related to this they could offer I would appreciate it. Please send an email to: ddlucero@lanl.gov.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi,
i did testing of stainless steel in german nuclear power plants. We were searching (successfully) for inside defects with eddy-current probes from the boundary of the tube.
More relevant than the diameter is the wall-thickness.
I hope, I can help you

04:21 Dec-12-2004

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Surface Probe Eddy Current Inspection of Tubing ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Has anyone here ever used a surface eddy current probe to examine stainless steel tubing? Specifically small diamter tubing (<= 1/8"). If anyone has any insight or links to information related to this they could offer I would appreciate it. Please send an email to: ddlucero@lanl.gov.
: Hi,
: i did testing of stainless steel in german nuclear power plants. We were searching (successfully) for inside defects with eddy-current probes from the boundary of the tube.
: More relevant than the diameter is the wall-thickness.
: I hope, I can help you
------------ End Original Message ------------
Hi,

SS tubes (austenitic) are normally tested during manufacture using an encircling coil from OD and during in-service inspection using an ID Bobbin coil. I would like to know the type of defects that you are trying to detect with the surface probe.

Swamy

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|