where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Re: Perspex insert in IIW Block
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:44 Nov-11-2004
Ed T.
Re: Perspex insert in IIW Block

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Ed is correct. The plug in an ASTM E164 IIW-Type 1 Block (Inch version) measures 0.923" thick. Since the velocity of acrylic is 46% of steel, this is the same as 2.000" in steel. The metric version (or V1 block) plug measures 23.0mm, and is matched to 50.0mm in steel. Not sure how useful this plug really is, but there you have it. By the way, some specs consider it optional, which explains why some manufacturers opt to exclude it. The unplugged 2" (or 50mm) diameter hole makes a nice lifting feature for carting this heavy block around.
: Phil Herman Jr.
: PH Tool Reference Standards
: : : What is the purpose of this plastic insert in the IIW Block? What type of check is this used for?
: : I believe it is supposed to have a velocity that represents 2" of steel. I could be wrong.
------------ End Original Message ------------
Thanks Phil, but to be honest with you I was not sure because I have never seen one that was accurate.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|