where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.

Technical Discussions
General
General
04:17 Nov-24-2004
UT Cal Blocks for Piping / Curved Surfaces

First I want to thank everyone who have been replying to my posts lately. It has beeen a great help for my questions.

I'm hoping someone can help me here as well.

Well dealing with piping / curved surfaces 20" diameter and less ASME V requires you to use a curved cal block and they show a diagram for it and stipulate the diameter limitations it can be used for (0.9 - 1.5 times the diametr of the cal block). My question is, what about the thickness range for the curved cal block? Do the curved blocks follow the same requirements as the non curved blocks (ie; up to one inch use a 3/4" or t thickness cal block).

I would really appreciate some input on this as I am very confused. Thanks.

Phil Herman Jr.
Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 79

Phil Herman Jr.

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
02:17 Nov-24-2004
Re: UT Cal Blocks for Piping / Curved Surfaces
My understanding is that you need to match the wall thickness to the same schedule pipe you'll be inspecting. For example, one of your cal standards would be a 4" NPS (4.500" actual OD) with a Schedule 40 (0.237" nominal wall thickness). You would need another standard if you were inspecting a 4" NPS x Schedule 80 (.337"), or Schedule 160 (.531").

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: First I want to thank everyone who have been replying to my posts lately. It has beeen a great help for my questions.
: I'm hoping someone can help me here as well.
: Well dealing with piping / curved surfaces 20" diameter and less ASME V requires you to use a curved cal block and they show a diagram for it and stipulate the diameter limitations it can be used for (0.9 - 1.5 times the diametr of the cal block). My question is, what about the thickness range for the curved cal block? Do the curved blocks follow the same requirements as the non curved blocks (ie; up to one inch use a 3/4" or t thickness cal block).
: I would really appreciate some input on this as I am very confused. Thanks.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Digital Radiography for Concrete Inspection

In the construction industry (buildings, bridges) there is a need for fast non- destructive means,
most commonly to locate targets (Pipes, Re-bars, Conduit, Fittings etc.) within concrete structures prior to drilling, cutting or coring. Measuring reinforcements is also performed for static calculations and to detect corrosion problems and damages. Cracks and voids can also be visualized. The examinations are not only restricted to concrete constructions; they can also be applied to reinforced masonry made of natural stones or bricks.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s