where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IDEKO S.Coop
We provide Precision, Quality, Reliability and Productivity in manufacturing processes among our knowledge of Inspection and measurement technologies

Technical Discussions
Ed T.
Ed T.
05:32 Nov-25-2004
Re: UT Cal Blocks for Piping / Curved Surfaces

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: First I want to thank everyone who have been replying to my posts lately. It has beeen a great help for my questions.
: I'm hoping someone can help me here as well.
: Well dealing with piping / curved surfaces 20" diameter and less ASME V requires you to use a curved cal block and they show a diagram for it and stipulate the diameter limitations it can be used for (0.9 - 1.5 times the diametr of the cal block). My question is, what about the thickness range for the curved cal block? Do the curved blocks follow the same requirements as the non curved blocks (ie; up to one inch use a 3/4" or t thickness cal block).
: I would really appreciate some input on this as I am very confused. Thanks.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hey Ice. I am looking at ASME V, Article 4, 2002 Edition. The diameters for curved surfaces 20” and less are not applicable to piping. The block thicknesses and Block range of use described in T-434.2.2 &T434.2.3 are applicable to non piping applications only, such as vessels.

For piping you must refer to T-434.3. This states “The basic calibration block shall be a section of pipe of the same nominal size and schedule”.
Then it refers you to Fig. T-434.4.1.

Ideally the calibration block would be a sample of the material to be inspected, as required by API-1104 for pipelines. However, that would not be practical in a power plant.

But to answer your question, you are correct. You would need a separate calibration block for each of the pipe sizes and schedules you described. The 4” NPS schedule 40 is not acceptable for use to examine the 4” NPS schedule 80 or 160.

You would need 2 additional calibration blocks.

General
General
02:42 Nov-25-2004
So then every diameter and every schedule needs its own cal block. I dont think they really thought that through well when they changed that. It used to be 6 cal blocks would cover you for all diameters for a specified thickness but now you need every one to be individual, wowzers.

It does make sense since it is more of a true representation of your test piece but for the tech now it means carting around a whole bunch more blocks.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

: : First I want to thank everyone who have been replying to my posts lately. It has beeen a great help for my questions.
: : I'm hoping someone can help me here as well.
: : Well dealing with piping / curved surfaces 20" diameter and less ASME V requires you to use a curved cal block and they show a diagram for it and stipulate the diameter limitations it can be used for (0.9 - 1.5 times the diametr of the cal block). My question is, what about the thickness range for the curved cal block? Do the curved blocks follow the same requirements as the non curved blocks (ie; up to one inch use a 3/4" or t thickness cal block).
: : I would really appreciate some input on this as I am very confused. Thanks.
: Hey Ice. I am looking at ASME V, Article 4, 2002 Edition. The diameters for curved surfaces 20” and less are not applicable to piping. The block thicknesses and Block range of use described in T-434.2.2 & T434.2.3 are applicable to non piping applications only, such as vessels.
: For piping you must refer to T-434.3. This states “The basic calibration block shall be a section of pipe of the same nominal size and schedule”.
: Then it refers you to Fig. T-434.4.1.
: Ideally the calibration block would be a sample of the material to be inspected, as required by API-1104 for pipelines. However, that would not be practical in a power plant.
: But to answer your question, you are correct. You would need a separate calibration block for each of the pipe sizes and schedules you described. The 4” NPS schedule 40 is not acceptable for use to examine the 4” NPS schedule 80 or 160.
: You would need 2 additional calibration blocks.

Ed T.
Ed T.
03:22 Nov-25-2004
: So then every diameter and every schedule needs its own cal block. I dont think they really thought that through well when they changed that. It used to be 6 cal blocks would cover you for all diameters for a specified thickness but now you need every one to be individual, wowzers.
: It does make sense since it is more of a true representation of your test piece but for the tech now it means carting around a whole bunch more blocks.
: Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.
:
: : : First I want to thank everyone who have been replying to my posts lately. It has beeen a great help for my questions.
: : : I'm hoping someone can help me here as well.
: : : Well dealing with piping / curved surfaces 20" diameter and less ASME V requires you to use a curved cal block and they show a diagram for it and stipulate the diameter limitations it can be used for (0.9 - 1.5 times the diametr of the cal block). My question is, what about the thickness range for the curved cal block? Do the curved blocks follow the same requirements as the non curved blocks (ie; up to one inch use a 3/4" or t thickness cal block).
: : : I would really appreciate some input on this as I am very confused. Thanks.
: : Hey Ice. I am looking at ASME V, Article 4, 2002 Edition. The diameters for curved surfaces 20” and less are not applicable to piping. The block thicknesses and Block range of use described in T-434.2.2 & T434.2.3 are applicable to non piping applications only, such as vessels.
: : For piping you must refer to T-434.3. This states “The basic calibration block shall be a section of pipe of the same nominal size and schedule”.
: : Then it refers you to Fig. T-434.4.1.
: : Ideally the calibration block would be a sample of the material to be inspected, as required by API-1104 for pipelines. However, that would not be practical in a power plant.
: : But to answer your question, you are correct. You would need a separate calibration block for each of the pipe sizes and schedules you described. The 4” NPS schedule 40 is not acceptable for use to examine the 4” NPS schedule 80 or 160.
: : You would need 2 additional calibration blocks.

Yoou're welcome. But remember, that is for piping. If you are examining non-piping the 0.9 to 1.5 applies.

Bill
Bill
02:14 Jan-26-2007
Hello
----------- Start Original Message ----------- : So then every diameter and every schedule needs its own cal block. I dont think they really thought that through well when they changed that. It used to be 6 cal blocks would cover you for all diameters for a specified thickness but now you need every one to be individual, wowzers. : It does make sense since it is more of a true representation of your test piece but for the tech now it means carting around a whole bunch more blocks. : Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. : : : : First I want to thank everyone who have been replying to my posts lately. It has beeen a great help for my questions. : : : I'm hoping someone can help me here as well. : : : Well dealing with piping / curved surfaces 20" diameter and less ASME V requires you to use a curved cal block and they show a diagram for it and stipulate the diameter limitations it can be used for (0.9 - 1.5 times the diametr of the cal block). My question is, what about the thickness range for the curved cal block? Do the curved blocks follow the same requirements as the non curved blocks (ie; up to one inch use a 3/4" or t thickness cal block). : : : I would really appreciate some input on this as I am very confused. Thanks. : : Hey Ice. I am looking at ASME V, Article 4, 2002 Edition. The diameters for curved surfaces 20” and less are not applicable to piping. The block thicknesses and Block range of use described in T-434.2.2 & T434.2.3 are applicable to non piping applications only, such as vessels. : : For piping you must refer to T-434.3. This states “The basic calibration block shall be a section of pipe of the same nominal size and schedule”. : : Then it refers you to Fig. T-434.4.1. : : Ideally the calibration block would be a sample of the material to be inspected, as required by API-1104 for pipelines. However, that would not be practical in a power plant. : : But to answer your question, you are correct. You would need a separate calibration block for each of the pipe sizes and schedules you described. The 4” NPS schedule 40 is not acceptable for use to examine the 4” NPS schedule 80 or 160. : : You would need 2 additional calibration blocks. ------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window