where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE
The Ultrasound Institute can develop new advanced ultrasonic measurement, imaging and NDT techniques for non-conventional applications.

Technical Discussions
General
General
01:07 Nov-30-2004
Sizing Defects

When sizing a defect according to ASME you take the maximum amplitude and then get the length ccording to the 6 db drop. But according to ASME it has to be over DAC and a certain length to be rejectable, so I have a question about determing length.

Do you only consider the signal portion for length if it goes over DAC, ie; I maximize on my signal and it is over DAC (but not by much), I move laterally to determine length by 6 db drop but before I get to the 6db drop location the signal is now below DAC. SO do you only consider the part of the indication that goes above DAC for determining length or is it 6db drop regardless?

If I size by the 6db drop it may exceed length by code and be rejectable but if i size with the portion that is above DAC it may be acceptable. I can see arguments for both ways.

What is the correct way?

Chris Jones
Chris Jones
07:46 Nov-30-2004
Re: Sizing Defects
Hello,

I have not worked on compliance testing for some time and when I did I rarely worked to ASME codes.

However, I do remember one rule that was commonly applied to protect the UT operator and that was ->

If in doubt - Knock it out.

Best Regards,
CJ

PS I hope the welders and ECA engineers that I now frequently work with aren't reading in?

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: When sizing a defect according to ASME you take the maximum amplitude and then get the length ccording to the 6 db drop. But according to ASME it has to be over DAC and a certain length to be rejectable, so I have a question about determing length.
: Do you only consider the signal portion for length if it goes over DAC, ie; I maximize on my signal and it is over DAC (but not by much), I move laterally to determine length by 6 db drop but before I get to the 6db drop location the signal is now below DAC. SO do you only consider the part of the indication that goes above DAC for determining length or is it 6db drop regardless?
: If I size by the 6db drop it may exceed length by code and be rejectable but if i size with the portion that is above DAC it may be acceptable. I can see arguments for both ways.
: What is the correct way?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Dent McIntyre
Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 248

Dent McIntyre

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
03:59 Nov-30-2004
I suggest that you post this question on the ASME forum for discussion.
https://cop.asme.org/COP

I agree with the philosophy "if in doubt..cut it out"

: When sizing a defect according to ASME you take the maximum amplitude and then get the length ccording to the 6 db drop. But according to ASME it has to be over DAC and a certain length to be rejectable, so I have a question about determing length.
: Do you only consider the signal portion for length if it goes over DAC, ie; I maximize on my signal and it is over DAC (but not by much), I move laterally to determine length by 6 db drop but before I get to the 6db drop location the signal is now below DAC. SO do you only consider the part of the indication that goes above DAC for determining length or is it 6db drop regardless?
: If I size by the 6db drop it may exceed length by code and be rejectable but if i size with the portion that is above DAC it may be acceptable. I can see arguments for both ways.

charlie jackson
Engineering
MBINSPECTION, United Kingdom, Joined Aug 2003, 7

charlie jackson

Engineering
MBINSPECTION,
United Kingdom,
Joined Aug 2003
05:04 Nov-30-2004
hello
I think you will find that all indications 20% of ref DAC are to be investigated ( ref + 14dB ) if the discons are LOF / Crack they can be classed as defective at this stage and marked for repair. If they are slag then you are allowed the specified amount dependent on thickness ( set at DAC ref ).

Two points to remember which are important are 1 - transfer correction and 2 - there also is a requirement to record all discons within 6dB of the ref DAC.

The important point is that without sufficient gain the interpretation of discons may be flawed.

You can use 6dB on length but will find this flawed when the discon is shorter than the beam ( small defects on thin wall items ) suggest you use 20dB or max amp and give reasoning on the report.

Kind Regards Charlie

Kind Regards Charlie Jackson

: When sizing a defect according to ASME you take the maximum amplitude and then get the length ccording to the 6 db drop.But according to ASME it has to be over DAC and a certain length to be rejectable, so I have a question about determing length.

General
General
02:47 Dec-01-2004
I also agree with the cut it out philosophy but there should still be a correct answer IAW the code.

: I suggest that you post this question on the ASME forum for discussion.
: https://cop.asme.org/COP
: I agree with the philosophy "if in doubt..cut it out"
: : When sizing a defect according to ASME you take the maximum amplitude and then get the length ccording to the 6 db drop. But according to ASME it has to be over DAC and a certain length to be rejectable, so I have a question about determing length.
: : Do you only consider the signal portion for length if it goes over DAC, ie; I maximize on my signal and it is over DAC (but not by much), I move laterally to determine length by 6 db drop but before I get to the 6db drop location the signal is now below DAC. SO do you only consider the part of the indication that goes above DAC for determining length or is it 6db drop regardless?
: : If I size by the 6db drop it may exceed length by code and be rejectable but if i size with the portion that is above DAC it may be acceptable. I can see arguments for both ways.
: : What is the correct way?

Product Spotlight

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window