where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Iris Inspection Services, Inc.
We are the world's largest supplier of air cooler, boiler and exchanger tubing inspection services.

Technical Discussions
General
General
01:07 Nov-30-2004
Sizing Defects

When sizing a defect according to ASME you take the maximum amplitude and then get the length ccording to the 6 db drop. But according to ASME it has to be over DAC and a certain length to be rejectable, so I have a question about determing length.

Do you only consider the signal portion for length if it goes over DAC, ie; I maximize on my signal and it is over DAC (but not by much), I move laterally to determine length by 6 db drop but before I get to the 6db drop location the signal is now below DAC. SO do you only consider the part of the indication that goes above DAC for determining length or is it 6db drop regardless?

If I size by the 6db drop it may exceed length by code and be rejectable but if i size with the portion that is above DAC it may be acceptable. I can see arguments for both ways.

What is the correct way?

Chris Jones
Chris Jones
07:46 Nov-30-2004
Re: Sizing Defects
Hello,

I have not worked on compliance testing for some time and when I did I rarely worked to ASME codes.

However, I do remember one rule that was commonly applied to protect the UT operator and that was ->

If in doubt - Knock it out.

Best Regards,
CJ

PS I hope the welders and ECA engineers that I now frequently work with aren't reading in?

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: When sizing a defect according to ASME you take the maximum amplitude and then get the length ccording to the 6 db drop. But according to ASME it has to be over DAC and a certain length to be rejectable, so I have a question about determing length.
: Do you only consider the signal portion for length if it goes over DAC, ie; I maximize on my signal and it is over DAC (but not by much), I move laterally to determine length by 6 db drop but before I get to the 6db drop location the signal is now below DAC. SO do you only consider the part of the indication that goes above DAC for determining length or is it 6db drop regardless?
: If I size by the 6db drop it may exceed length by code and be rejectable but if i size with the portion that is above DAC it may be acceptable. I can see arguments for both ways.
: What is the correct way?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Dent McIntyre
Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 247

Dent McIntyre

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
03:59 Nov-30-2004
I suggest that you post this question on the ASME forum for discussion.
https://cop.asme.org/COP

I agree with the philosophy "if in doubt..cut it out"

: When sizing a defect according to ASME you take the maximum amplitude and then get the length ccording to the 6 db drop. But according to ASME it has to be over DAC and a certain length to be rejectable, so I have a question about determing length.
: Do you only consider the signal portion for length if it goes over DAC, ie; I maximize on my signal and it is over DAC (but not by much), I move laterally to determine length by 6 db drop but before I get to the 6db drop location the signal is now below DAC. SO do you only consider the part of the indication that goes above DAC for determining length or is it 6db drop regardless?
: If I size by the 6db drop it may exceed length by code and be rejectable but if i size with the portion that is above DAC it may be acceptable. I can see arguments for both ways.

charlie jackson
Engineering
MBINSPECTION, United Kingdom, Joined Aug 2003, 7

charlie jackson

Engineering
MBINSPECTION,
United Kingdom,
Joined Aug 2003
05:04 Nov-30-2004
hello
I think you will find that all indications 20% of ref DAC are to be investigated ( ref + 14dB ) if the discons are LOF / Crack they can be classed as defective at this stage and marked for repair. If they are slag then you are allowed the specified amount dependent on thickness ( set at DAC ref ).

Two points to remember which are important are 1 - transfer correction and 2 - there also is a requirement to record all discons within 6dB of the ref DAC.

The important point is that without sufficient gain the interpretation of discons may be flawed.

You can use 6dB on length but will find this flawed when the discon is shorter than the beam ( small defects on thin wall items ) suggest you use 20dB or max amp and give reasoning on the report.

Kind Regards Charlie

Kind Regards Charlie Jackson

: When sizing a defect according to ASME you take the maximum amplitude and then get the length ccording to the 6 db drop.But according to ASME it has to be over DAC and a certain length to be rejectable, so I have a question about determing length.

General
General
02:47 Dec-01-2004
I also agree with the cut it out philosophy but there should still be a correct answer IAW the code.

: I suggest that you post this question on the ASME forum for discussion.
: https://cop.asme.org/COP
: I agree with the philosophy "if in doubt..cut it out"
: : When sizing a defect according to ASME you take the maximum amplitude and then get the length ccording to the 6 db drop. But according to ASME it has to be over DAC and a certain length to be rejectable, so I have a question about determing length.
: : Do you only consider the signal portion for length if it goes over DAC, ie; I maximize on my signal and it is over DAC (but not by much), I move laterally to determine length by 6 db drop but before I get to the 6db drop location the signal is now below DAC. SO do you only consider the part of the indication that goes above DAC for determining length or is it 6db drop regardless?
: : If I size by the 6db drop it may exceed length by code and be rejectable but if i size with the portion that is above DAC it may be acceptable. I can see arguments for both ways.
: : What is the correct way?

Product Spotlight

Webinar: FMC & Advanced Focusing Techniques for Improved Ultrasonic Inspections

Phased array ultrasound is now a commonly accepted inspection technology. Now there is excitement ar
ound new techniques in Phased Array: Full Matrix Capture (FMC) & Total Focusing Method (TFM). Our webinar on December 5 & 6 will illustrate how these techniques, implemented on a TOPAZ64 instrument, can improve the results of existing inspections. Register today.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Spot weld inspection with Phased Array – PHAsis.one

The first PAUT spot weld inspection device offering a physical resolution of the spot weld diamete
r better than 0.35mm. Precise: more than 700 real UT measurements per spot weld. Easy to go: minimal training required due to the user friendly inspection software. Be sure: safe evaluation due to the imaging result display and automated creation of an evaluation proposal for the spot weld quality.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s