where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Nick Welland
Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services, Australia, Joined Oct 1999, 42

Nick Welland

Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services,
Australia,
Joined Oct 1999
04:07 Dec-02-2004
Boiler Tube Inspection

Can anyone suggest a method of inspection for ferritic steel boiler tubes, in a fire tube boiler with access to fire side (tube I.D.) only. Material excessively noisy with RFET and flooding is not permitted.

Rich Roberts
Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 78

Rich Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
03:18 Dec-02-2004
Re: Boiler Tube Inspection
Good Day Nick,

LOTIS which is a "laser based" inspection method has been applied to boiler tubes for nearly 20 years. This method does not care what the material type is and is not effected by any external attachements (i.e. fins, etc.). Please let me know if you would like more information.

Regards, Rich Roberts
Condition Assessment Division
Quest TruTec LP
1012 Central Avenue South
Kent, Washington 98032
USA

Tel: 1-253-872-9500, Ext 1275
Toll Free 1-800-233-3345, Ext 1275
Mobile/Cell: 1-206-571-4302
Fax 1-253-872-8967
Email: richardr@QuestTruTec.com
Web Site: http://www.questtrutec.com

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can anyone suggest a method of inspection for ferritic steel boiler tubes, in a fire tube boiler with access to fire side (tube I.D.) only. Material excessively noisy with RFET and flooding is not permitted.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Ingo Becker
Engineering, NDT Inspector & Sales
ec-works GmbH, Germany, Joined Apr 2000, 29

Ingo Becker

Engineering, NDT Inspector & Sales
ec-works GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Apr 2000
08:54 Dec-03-2004
Hello Nick,

what type of defects are expected? You are looking for pitting corrosion, cracks or erosional defects? We are eddy current experts and have carried out serveral
types of inspection without using RFET! Please tell us something about the dimensions to make any special recommendations.

Best regards

Ingo Becker
ET Level III Engineer

ec-works GmbH
Maschweg 5
D-29227 Celle
Germany
Fon: +49 (0)5141-802187
Fax: +49 (0)5141-802164
e-mail: info@ec-works-celle.de

: Can anyone suggest a method of inspection for ferritic steel boiler tubes, in a fire tube boiler with access to fire side (tube I.D.) only. Material excessively noisy with RFET and flooding is not permitted.

Sunil Ramchandran
Sunil Ramchandran
07:27 Dec-03-2004
I have a question about the LOTUS method: Does it detect any defects that may be on the tube OD? I was under the impression that it only finds ID defects.

Thank you.

---------- Start Original Message -----------
: Good Day Nick,
: LOTIS which is a "laser based" inspection method has been applied to boiler tubes for nearly 20 years. This method does not care what the material type is and is not effected by any external attachements (i.e. fins, etc.). Please let me know if you would like more information.
: Regards, Rich Roberts
: Condition Assessment Division
: Quest TruTec LP
: 1012 Central Avenue South
: Kent, Washington 98032
: USA
: Tel: 1-253-872-9500, Ext 1275
: Toll Free 1-800-233-3345, Ext 1275
: Mobile/Cell: 1-206-571-4302
: Fax 1-253-872-8967
: Email: richardr@QuestTruTec.com
: Web Site: http://www.questtrutec.com
: : Can anyone suggest a method of inspection for ferritic steel boiler tubes, in a fire tube boiler with access to fire side (tube I.D.) only. Material excessively noisy with RFET and flooding is not permitted.

ruben t. diverson jr
ruben t. diverson jr
01:38 Apr-26-2005
Re: Boiler Tube Inspection (computing/knowing the minimum thickness of boiler tubes)
: Hello Nick,
: what type of defects are expected? You are looking for pitting corrosion, cracks or erosional defects? We are eddy current experts and have carried out serveral
: types of inspection without using RFET! Please tell us something about the dimensions to make any special recommendations.
: Best regards
: Ingo Becker
: ET Level III Engineer
: ec-works GmbH
: Maschweg 5
: D-29227 Celle
: Germany
: Fon: +49 (0)5141-802187
: Fax: +49 (0)5141-802164
: e-mail: info@ec-works-celle.de
:
: : sir,
Can you suggest a method in computing or your recommend practice in computing the minimum thickness of boiler tubes?I am a student here at the philippines which my study is in inspection/NDT of boiler tubes.Pls help me regarding to this subject.thank you and hoping you will help me regarding to my study report.

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window