where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
The correlation of hardness versus distance of slitting-edge with core metal sheets and the deformation of the metal properties.
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TD NDE
TD NDE. Automated Custom Ultrasonic Robotic and software solutions. Effective, Simple and Flexible solutions to meet your UT needs.

05:41 Dec-02-2004

Maarten Nijsse

Trainee
Smit,
Netherlands,
Joined Dec 2004
The correlation of hardness versus distance of slitting-edge with core metal sheets and the deformation of the metal properties.

Recent investigations of magnetic en mechanical properties during mechanical cutting of non-oriented electrical steels have shown deteriorating effects. At the cut edge of the steels (with a thickness of 0.65 mm) a hardening has occurred. This is the result of plastic deformation where mechanical energy, which is used to make the cut, is absorbed by the lattice through a shift of the neighbouring layers and the appearance of micro-structural defects.
According to a NEN-norm the hardness is related to the permeability which says something about the losses due to eddy currents (transformer-core). But at the moment I haven’t been able to find documentation which prove this with non-oriented electrical steels, thickness of 0.65 mm. Furthermore the increase of hardness can cause a problem when the sheets are further processed, here again is the lack of information that supports that. Is there anyone who can help me with any information on the topic described above?

09:01 Dec-05-2004

Elmar van den Elzen

Engineering,
Lismar Engineering B.V.,
Netherlands,
Joined Aug 2000
Re: The correlation of hardness versus distance of slitting-edge with core metal sheets and the deformation of the metal properties. Hello Maarten,

The cutting will cause some deformation in the material and this will affect the mechanical hardness, the electrical conductivity as well as the permeability. This will be true for all ferromagnetic steel types. My guess would be that the deformation and the associated changes of the material properties will be very, very local.

Bye, Elmar van den Elzen

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Recent investigations of magnetic en mechanical properties during mechanical cutting of non-oriented electrical steels have shown deteriorating effects. At the cut edge of the steels (with a thickness of 0.65 mm) a hardening has occurred. This is the result of plastic deformation where mechanical energy, which is used to make the cut, is absorbed by the lattice through a shift of the neighbouring layers and the appearance of micro-structural defects.
: According to a NEN-norm the hardness is related to the permeability which says something about the losses due to eddy currents (transformer-core). But at the moment I haven’t been able to find documentation which prove this with non-oriented electrical steels, thickness of 0.65 mm. Furthermore the increase of hardness can cause a problem when the sheets are further processed, here again is the lack of information that supports that. Is there anyone who can help me with any information on the topic described above?
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|