where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Triggering pulse
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:23 Dec-08-2004

S.G.

Consultant
Enrico Enterprises,
India,
Joined Jul 2004
Triggering pulse

Hi, Friends

I want to know about the electronic circuit capability of pulser reciver card for ultrasonic testing during fast scanning.

1) For high speed testing say 25mtrs/minutes how many pulses will get require to trigger the gate?

2) For testing speed 25 mtrs/mintues how much PRF will require for the 16 channel instrument? Can anyone reply me the exact formula for this?

3) Please suggest us name of companies which can supply this type of Autometed system for pipe testing.(pipe diameter ranging from 100 mm to 450 mm)

Thanking you.

04:20 Dec-08-2004
chris gartside
Re: Triggering pulse I assume that 25 metres/minute refers to the linear speed of the tube. In my opinion the calculation of the PRF should be left to the manufacturer, because the answer depends on lots of other factors. The customer should specify the defect detection requirements and the throughput.

For example, what are the requirements for defect detection - axial defects, circumferential defects or both, minimum defect length allowable, defect depth? Are the defects in the bore, OD, mid wall or all of these?

The minimum defect length in particular is very important, because this will determine the helical index of the inspection - this applies (presumably) whether the inspection is done by rotating tube, rotating probe or phased array methods.

As far as "number of pulses to trigger the gate" is concerned, a system designed for automated inspection like this should require only a single pulse to trigger the gate and capture the peak amplitude. The signal to noise ratio and immunity to external noise should be good enough to negate the need for processing of several successive pulses to prevent "false calls", although this type of processing is often specified anyway.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, Friends
: I want to know about the electronic circuit capability of pulser reciver card for ultrasonic testing during fast scanning.
: 1) For high speed testing say 25mtrs/minutes how many pulses will get require to trigger the gate?
: 2) For testing speed 25 mtrs/mintues how much PRF will require for the 16 channel instrument? Can anyone reply me the exact formula for this?
: 3) Please suggest us name of companies which can supply this type of Autometed system for pipe testing.(pipe diameter ranging from 100 mm to 450 mm)
: Thanking you.
:
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:30 Dec-08-2004
Richard Kazares
Re: Triggering pulse Modern PC-based C-Scan systems can operate at PRF rates of over 10,000 per second per channel. So the the answer to your question - is better phrased: "How many pulses per second do you need to cover your part?"

Given the capabilities of most systems, coupled with the availablity of either independent multi-channel or multiplexed multi-channel operation, the application solution is one of blending inspection requirements and cost. Many solutions can be impleted which cover the through put rates you require (and more, if needed).

We design and manufacture systems such as you describe - I'd be happy to provide you with more product and solution oriented information upon your e-mail with detailed operational requirements.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, Friends
: I want to know about the electronic circuit capability of pulser reciver card for ultrasonic testing during fast scanning.
: 1) For high speed testing say 25mtrs/minutes how many pulses will get require totrigger the gate?
: 2) For testing speed 25 mtrs/mintues how much PRF will require for the 16 channel instrument? Can anyone reply me the exact formula for this?
: 3) Please suggest us name of companies which can supply this type of Autometed system for pipe testing.(pipe diameter ranging from 100 mm to 450 mm)
: Thanking you.
:

04:45 Dec-09-2004

S.G

Consultant
Enrico Enterprises,
India,
Joined Jul 2004
Re: Triggering pulse ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Modern PC-based C-Scan systems can operate at PRF rates of over 10,000 per second per channel. So the the answer to your question - is better phrased: "How many pulses per second do you need to cover your part?"
: Given the capabilities of most systems, coupled with the availablity of either independent multi-channel or multiplexed multi-channel operation, the application solution is one of blending inspection requirements and cost. Many solutions can be impleted which cover the through put rates you require (and more, if needed).
: We design and manufacture systems such as you describe - I'd be happy to provide you with more product and solution oriented information upon your e-mail with detailed operational requirements.
: : Hi, Friends
: : I want to know about the electronic circuit capability of pulser reciver card for ultrasonic testing during fast scanning.
: : 1) For high speed testing say 25mtrs/minutes how many pulses will get require to trigger the gate?
: : 2) For testing speed 25 mtrs/mintues how much PRF will require for the 16 channel instrument? Can anyone reply me the exact formula for this?
: : 3) Please suggest us name of companies which can supply this type of Autometed system for pipe testing.(pipe diameter ranging from 100 mm to 450 mm)
: : Thanking you.
: :

Hi, Mr. Richard Kazares

Thanks for your help.

We want to test the pipe for 100% area scanning with the speed around 25 mtrs/minutes.

Please suggest us right product and if you could send the details please very helpful to us.

Thanking you.

09:58 Dec-20-2004

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Triggering pulse Hello,

in addition to the important hints given by Chris Gartside concerning the relation between the requirements of the defect detectability, the reliability of the ultrasonic test, the best suited test techniques and the required systems configuration for a defined test speed I recommend a new book,
published by the International Institute of Welding (IIW), the German Society of NDT (DGZfP), and the German Welding Socity (DVS):

Handbook Automated Ultrasonic Testing Systems,
Edited by a working group of the German Society of NDT,
DVS Publishers, Duesseldorf, Germany (2004)
ISBN 3-87155-953-9.

Citation of the scope of this book:
"This handbook is designed to support the user, through typical examples and enables the user to specify:
Probes, probe systems and sensors,
manipulation systems including controls,
data storage and presentation systems,
evaluation and assessment techniques.

All these questions have to be discussed in a dialog between user of the automated system, the manufacturer of the automated testing system and in some cases with the purchaser of the tested objects.

Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann
GE Inspection Technologies GmbH
Huerth, Germany

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|