where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Phil Malone
Phil Malone
06:01 Dec-14-2004
Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel.

Hi.

Has anyone seen any papers/studies/equipment related to transmitting ultrasonics along steel plate (1/2" to 1" thick).

I'm specifically thinking a *large* steel storage tank.

I want to inject a signal at one point on the tank and measure the signal at various other points on the tank.

I'm looking for any info/products that relate to fixed transmit 'ducers, movable receive 'ducers, signal attenuation, power levels etc.

Examples of practical components would be FANTASTIC.

Thanks....

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 307

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
01:07 Dec-16-2004
Re: Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi.
: Has anyone seen any papers/studies/equipment related to transmitting ultrasonics along steel plate (1/2" to 1" thick).
: I'm specifically thinking a *large* steel storage tank.
: I want to inject a signal at one point on the tank and measure the signal at various other points on the tank.
: I'm looking for any info/products that relate to fixed transmit 'ducers, movable receive 'ducers, signal attenuation, power levels etc.
: Examples of practical components would be FANTASTIC.
: Thanks....
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi,
Sounds like you need to be looking at Guided Waves Ultrasonics in this application.
Guided waves can propagate along plates (and pipes) for hundreds of feet, and can detect defects typically with a single number of percent of wall thickness reduction.
The waves travel through (butt) welds (but will have difficulty on lap welds on tank floors)
Please contact me and we can give you more information about this.

Godfrey Hands
Godfrey@ndt-consultants.co.uk

Product Spotlight

On Demand Webinar: Using Eddy Current Array for Large Areas in Place of Magnetic Particle and Liquid Penetrant Testing

New on-demand webinar on the use of eddy current array (ECA) technology in lieu of liquid penetrant
testing (PT) and magnetic particle testing (MT) for large area screenings. The webinar includes an introduction to the technologies with advantages and disadvantages of each. Side by side examples are discussed including aircraft stringers, engine blades, forgings, weld plates & more. View it today.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window