where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel.
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FI Test- und Messtechnik GmbH

06:01 Dec-14-2004
Phil Malone
Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel.

Hi.

Has anyone seen any papers/studies/equipment related to transmitting ultrasonics along steel plate (1/2" to 1" thick).

I'm specifically thinking a *large* steel storage tank.

I want to inject a signal at one point on the tank and measure the signal at various other points on the tank.

I'm looking for any info/products that relate to fixed transmit 'ducers, movable receive 'ducers, signal attenuation, power levels etc.

Examples of practical components would be FANTASTIC.

Thanks....

01:07 Dec-16-2004

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel. ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi.
: Has anyone seen any papers/studies/equipment related to transmitting ultrasonics along steel plate (1/2" to 1" thick).
: I'm specifically thinking a *large* steel storage tank.
: I want to inject a signal at one point on the tank and measure the signal at various other points on the tank.
: I'm looking for any info/products that relate to fixed transmit 'ducers, movable receive 'ducers, signal attenuation, power levels etc.
: Examples of practical components would be FANTASTIC.
: Thanks....
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi,
Sounds like you need to be looking at Guided Waves Ultrasonics in this application.
Guided waves can propagate along plates (and pipes) for hundreds of feet, and can detect defects typically with a single number of percent of wall thickness reduction.
The waves travel through (butt) welds (but will have difficulty on lap welds on tank floors)
Please contact me and we can give you more information about this.

Godfrey Hands
Godfrey@ndt-consultants.co.uk

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|