where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Phil Malone
Phil Malone
06:01 Dec-14-2004
Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel.

Hi.

Has anyone seen any papers/studies/equipment related to transmitting ultrasonics along steel plate (1/2" to 1" thick).

I'm specifically thinking a *large* steel storage tank.

I want to inject a signal at one point on the tank and measure the signal at various other points on the tank.

I'm looking for any info/products that relate to fixed transmit 'ducers, movable receive 'ducers, signal attenuation, power levels etc.

Examples of practical components would be FANTASTIC.

Thanks....

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 293

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
01:07 Dec-16-2004
Re: Ultrasonic propagation along sheet steel.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi.
: Has anyone seen any papers/studies/equipment related to transmitting ultrasonics along steel plate (1/2" to 1" thick).
: I'm specifically thinking a *large* steel storage tank.
: I want to inject a signal at one point on the tank and measure the signal at various other points on the tank.
: I'm looking for any info/products that relate to fixed transmit 'ducers, movable receive 'ducers, signal attenuation, power levels etc.
: Examples of practical components would be FANTASTIC.
: Thanks....
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi,
Sounds like you need to be looking at Guided Waves Ultrasonics in this application.
Guided waves can propagate along plates (and pipes) for hundreds of feet, and can detect defects typically with a single number of percent of wall thickness reduction.
The waves travel through (butt) welds (but will have difficulty on lap welds on tank floors)
Please contact me and we can give you more information about this.

Godfrey Hands
Godfrey@ndt-consultants.co.uk

Product Spotlight

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window